The AKG-K1000/W100 headphone swap... Matt and Nick D's impressions
Apr 16, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 44
I just received my W100's today. Man, are these phones comfortable...

Did anyone else notice that the drivers are situated at an angle inside the phones? It looks like they were trying to simulate an expanded sound field using the same method that AKG-k1000's use with the adjustable phone angle.

So far so good. The sound is quite good right out of the box with a very balanced, organic tone. Somehow, I feel that it produces all the details that the K1000's have without calling attention to itself -- a very unique trait. Compared to the RS-1, it doesn't quite have that last bit of "feel" (ambience). That remains to be see though. My guess is that it should be a close call once break-in is complete.

A very good value for the money...

Apr 16, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Did anyone else notice that the drivers are situated at an angle inside the phones? It looks like they were trying to simulate an expanded sound field using the same method that AKG-k1000's use with the adjustable phone angle.

This "bionetic" design is noted in Tomcat's review. Sony may be the originator of the concept. The driver is parallel to the angle of your outer ear.

Apr 17, 2002 at 10:58 AM Post #18 of 44
Sorry, JML,
I might have caused some confusion with this erroneous statement in my W100 review. Sony's design idea has been called "auro-nomic", not bionetic as I had initially written. Bionetic is a term that Sennheiser uses for their HD590 type headphone line with somewhat small and roughly ear-shaped driver housings.

Matt,
I don't know the JMT amp, but your statement that violins had more natural "bite" and speed to them with the JMT/W100 combo than with the EMP/W100 combo is probably wrong. The EMP's -1dB treble roll-off point is at 1 MHz. That's outstanding bandwidth. And since an amp's treble bandwidth and its speed are closely related, the EMP's smooth treble is most likely a result of its extreme speed and the lack of transient intermodulation distortion. "Bite" isn't exactly a quality that's desirable to most violinists, and better violins tend to be praised for their timbral richness and warmth, not for their "bite". To me, the EMP/W100 combo sounds natural, effortless and musical not in spite of its smoothness, but because of it.

Apr 17, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #19 of 44
Tomcat wrote:
Quote:

"auro-nomic", not bionetic

I had saved the original review from MRael's site, and just cut & pasted last night. Thought I had seen that made-up word before somewhere else...

Apr 18, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #22 of 44
...go-o-o-o-olllly, we need to get our terms straight around here.

I used the wrong word, then. To better describe what I mean, I meant that it has a better transient attack (violins being the example) with regard to sheer force and it has this delicious, foreground-emphasized, rosiny authority to the tone and body of the violin note. That part of things had a more real sound to them, to me. If it had the life-like bloom, stunning micro-dynamics and delicate transparency of the EMP, it'd be pretty damned perfect.

Nick: Will prolly be there tommorrow to check 'em out. I want to talk to you first, though, just to make sure that any of the amps I have will be suitable. I don't want to buy a set of dead headphones for full price...

- Matt

Apr 20, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #23 of 44
Oh my...have finally put the K1000's on and I am IMPRESSED!

The very first thing I noticed, if we use the Chesky Ultimate Demo Disc set of criteria, is RHYTHM and PACE. I am listening to Daft Punk's "Discovery" and am definitely feeling the groove. Getting up and grooving (carefully, so that the cans don't fall off, God forbid) was not even an option: I was absolutely compelled.

I have not really read any of the K1000 reviews, so I'd be interested to see them once I finish writing this, to see how the reviews compare. I am using the cans with a mid-fi Kenwood consumer-grade amp. I'd call it higher-end Best Buy six or seven years ago. Perhaps this cripples my review, but at least I can get the macro details and general character reported on. It's not all that bad, anyhow.

First off, these cans are very different from, well, cans. They are a whole new experience because of the sheer energy they can project through the air, with no "pad" or any other sort of circum-aural or supra-aural direct coupling to seal in bass, etc. So, right off the bat, one must sort of redefine his preconceptions about performance, comparative and relative sound, etc.

To my ears, these are not "terribly analytical" cans, as they do have a somewhat smoothed-over, somewhat (slightly) distant character when it comes to the very finest of fine details, because of both the relative distance of the drivers from your ears compared to "regular" headphones and the lack of that pad seal. To restate this better, these things definitely are "earspeakers" and deliver sound to you in the same way a speaker would, as stated above, with no coupling, using sheer radiated energy. And a damned good job it does of it.

Because of this "sheer radiation," the bass is extremely naural and engaging. It gets my Best Bass I've Ever Heard So Far award, easily. To me, the bass of, say, W100's is nice but it's not speaker-like at all. These definitely have a more speaker-like character, by far, bar none.

I feel very queer listening to these (no, not in the pink feather boa and leather codpiece sense) because they are this delicious (and admittedly somewhat confusing) mix between speakers and headphones.

The energy these things are able to convey over thin air is astounding. Perhaps this is just because I am not used to the whole "real amp" thing, but geez! This is definitely ear-ringing territory for me, because they still sound so damned good when you crank them up. Still very speaker like.

There are no, absolutely no emphasized highs enforced on your ears. I hate that ****, the W100's do it a bit, but these are pretty chillin' in that department. Any high frequency energy that is too energetic has a little more of a chance to dissipate before it reaches your ear, because, again, there is no coupling to force them upon your ears.

The only real ground I feel I'm giving up is the ultra-micro-tape feed-like-detail due to the lack of relative distance of the driver and the lack of a sound-insulated coupling that other headphones such as the W100's have. To me, now in the light of the K1000 sound, the W100's (or really most any headphone I've owned) is unnatural in that way.

I'm now on a more slammin' track (10) and the energy is all there. That's another word that comes to mind with these: ENERGY. Again, the ability to convey general musical and bass energy through thin air is astounding.

The NEXT big thing that I'm totally digging about this utterly new experience is the soundstage. Solid, speaker-like and huge. Huge and another "totally different" quality. It's just different from closed or even other open cans...you definitely immediately realize that no other can can touch these, just on general design and power principle. It's extending past the walls. This again reinforces the fact that these are very different cans and a very different experience compared to any other cans I've used.

I was stunned in a similar way with the ability of Etys to portray "wet" or "out in the soundstage" sounds in a fashion that befit them, with solid, measured distance, etc. and these are just as stunning (though the sound is very different...again, very speaker-like and different from regular cans).

Going back to track nine to check vocal transparency and microdynamics (yesh, there are a few things there)...I think the W100's are a bit better with insane microdynamics but only because they have that "coupling" with your head that the K1000's don't have. The vocalist is on now and I can't say that the transparency is where I'd like it to be. Of course, as noted above, the amp is not so great, and in my experience with amp switching, this is exactly the kind of thing that would be helped along. The sound is nonetheless delicious and, once again, very "real speaker" like. It is terribly pleasing.

Next: Audioquest recording of Mighty Sam McClain "Sledgehammer Soul and Down Home Blues" (audiophile recording). Listening to this sounds like I am in, say, the House of Blues, just me, Sam and his band. Intimate concert, I'm in the first row. I feel like it's coming through the PA, *but* I am definitely THERE. This is the first time that I can say "I feel like I am really at a show" with headphone playback. If I shut my eyes, the illusion is very convincing. There is an organicness and life to the sound. The bass delivery and more "sound through the air," "real speaker" feel really helps contribute to that illusion.

The PA comment above is meant to say that I don't feel like I'm listening to a tape feed (i.e. ultra-saturated with every last little detail being piped directly into my ear), but I'm just listening to music, the way it sounds live, aka how it's supposed to sound when performed. That's nice and a neat new perspective to have.

Next is Whitney Houston "Saving All My Love For You." I keep feeling like I get more detail if I turn them up. The words that come to mind when listening to these is "quality concert experience," i.e. loud, live sound. Rich, organic, loud etc.

When Whitney starts really wailing and shifts her voice to her nasal cavities more, the lower-high frequencies get too intense. If I turn it down, I feel like I'm losing detail, too much so. They don't have that queer, unnatural (but nonetheless pleasing) Ety-like detail, but they are re-turning me on to the speaker experience and they feel like a good compromise between speakers and headphones. They are definitely a whole new sonic experience.

I must say that I like vocals on Etys better, but the damned instruments sound so nice on here, with such realistic body. It's a nice listen. Vocals do have a touch more body than one would normally expect, too.

This WH recording doesn't exactly sound like anything close to an audiophile recording to me (basically being pop music), anyhow, so I'm not reading much into this. Plus, again, a better amp would probably present a more refined picture of this recording anyways, good or bad. Where she's not wailing, it's really quite beautiful.

Listening to track five, I get the impression that these would be wonderful with a tube amp. They are already warmish while still being detailed, they have a rich, natural presentation that I really like.

"Open Fire, Two Guitars" Johnny Mathis, Gold Plated Special Edition. Johnny's voice is a little closer in the soundstage than I like it (like it is on the W100's), and his voice sound sorta "reproduced" and sibilants are uncomfortably emphasized, but the instruments (two guitars, duh) are gorgeous.

On romantic music such as this, my heart is definitely being engaged and filling me with warmth. This is cool and I feel it correlates with the first few paragraphs talking about the cans' rhythm and pace and ability to get me up and moving around with authority. In that way and in this rich, heartwarming sense, I would call them very viscerally engaging. Even though I have experienced it before, it is something that I have experienced relatively little of with Grado RS-1s and Etys and W100's compared to this experience.

Just to prove to myself how well these things do soundstage, I stuck on my "Bags and Trane" CD. Holy ****. John Coltrane plays in some room here and you hear the room very much. I am IN THE ROOM! I have never been able to say that with real conviction, and now I'm saying it.

If I micro analyze them, as above, I find things that are different from my closed-can norm, but listening to this, I think "who gives a ****?" The experience is all that matters and this is an experience! With this recording, I am flat-out-on-my-ass stunned with these cans.

Another freak occurrence: I let my sisters and father listen to the same track (1). They gave, by far, the most enthusiastic response I've ever gotten to any of my crazy headphone trials with them. Mostly, their jaws just dropped. So, these have mucho popular appeal, which says a lot to me. Oh my gawd, I'm feeling K1000 lust overtaking me. My stepmother said "It definitely feels like you're going to turn around and find someone in the room playing for you."

OK, take a deep breath, count to ten....sober moment:

Would I buy these? I don't know...I want to say "yes" for sure (and I almost am), but I think it would be more like "not unless I had some 'regular' cans, like the W100's, also." Mine are practical considerations, in this case being the extreme and even amplified leakage these cans have. Another huge issue for me, at least, is the opposite: sound (dog, refrigerator whine, sisters, etc.) leaks in. I hate that because if that stuff is going on, it severly limits my ability to enjoy the music and these cans are just about the most extreme example of that problem.

Other than that, I would say if I could pick one set of cans and practical concerns like leakage weren't an issue, I might definitely head this direction. They are just sexy and frankly, I am worrying less about "audiophile concerns" than I do with other cans I've owned.

Overall, I am extremely pleased that I was able to listen to these. They are awesome and sound aside, one of the best things about them is that since they need a "regular" amp to power them, you only have to have one amp for your cans and your speakers.

The Bottom Line: An entirely new, way more speaker-like experience that is both exciting, pleasant and engaging. Every last micron of detail is not there, but who gives a frig, because it's so fun and romantic and otherwise natural and speaker-like. The rhythm and pace and ability to engage me with dancable or energetic music towers over the competition.

- Matt

Apr 20, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #24 of 44
Nice review. I think there is room in every serious Head-Fi'ers collection for a pair of K1000's. They are just so different from everything else out there. The bass is killer too! No sub required with adequate amplification.

Now if darkclouds's AQ1005 tube amp would only arrive...

Apr 20, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 44
wow, nice job, Matt. It seems Team K1000 has doubled its size in a very short time. I just wonder what kind of reaction will Matt have when he listens to the K1000's with a good amp.

Now I only wish I have enough $$$ to buy a Cary 300SEI to drive my HD580's and K1000's.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #26 of 44
OK, here are some continued impressions:

Track 2 ("Roxanne") of George Michael's "Songs from the Last Century": there is a slow orchestra crescendo from pianissimo to mezzo-piano and in that mix of instruments, usually I have heard just the orchestra. Now I hear this one individual trumpet in it. Not only that, but it has an exact location.

The emotion of this piece is coming through really well, moreso than I've heard from headphones before. There is an emotional richness to George's voice that I've not before heard. Nice.

Fugazi "Exclamation point" - this is raucous, unique punk. I've tried listening to it on other cans and found it unbearable. Thin and too treble emphasized. It is still treble emphasized, but has a new living richness that makes me want to keep on listening. These cans are definitely passing the "keep on listening" test, for the most part. The bass is great and a different experience altogether.

Nelly Furtado "Scared of You": Incredible, tubey bloom to this track. Again, more richness and believability of "living sound." The sound is alive. The bloom doesn't congest as much as it does with tube amps on this track (where you get bloom-on-bloom).
Totally sexy. This is one of my fave tracks and this is my favorite playback I've heard of this track.

I've just done a little crossfeed test: I turned the balance hard left and plugged my left ear. I listened, then plugged the right ear, too. There is verifiably a small-but-there amount of left-channel sound that the right ear gets and vice versa. This goes a long way, in my experience so far, in helping with location of instruments, lack of the "hole in the middle," etc. Much more natural and pleasant.

Harry Connick Jr. "When Harry Met Sally Sountrack," "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" I'm not getting the same sense of intimate vocal transparency as I get with the W100s here. This may be a function of the amp, but I recall thinking this before with other tracks. It's still extremely high quality playback, though. Soundstage is massive, solid and definite, a big tick on the K1000's side.

- Matt

Apr 20, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
I am using the cans with a mid-fi Kenwood consumer-grade amp. I'd call it higher-end Best Buy six or seven years ago. Perhaps this cripples my review, but at least I can get the macro details and general character reported on. It's not all that bad, anyhow.

Apr 20, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #29 of 44
Sorry, missed that. That certainly explains some of Matt's comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back