Testing audiophile claims and myths
May 4, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #5,131 of 17,336
May 4, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #5,134 of 17,336
the list! the mmorpg of forums. the longer you play the stronger you are. an average uninterested 60 year old guy will almost always have owned more and better stuff than a 25 year old guy. it's a time+money equation, not an audio expertise rating. my father has owned at least twice as many audio stuff as me, and most likely his last stuff is worth more than all the audio gears I've bought in my life. he never knew a thing and simply bought the expensive stuff some guy told him was the best. I guess he would get maximum respect for his massive expertise on headfi...
a little silly TBH. and that's without accounting for all the people who couldn't care less about showing a list of the stuff they own to others.

ps: no hd800 on full moon!
does it make music bright only once the sun is down? because I might need a clock to know when to switch amp.

May 5, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #5,135 of 17,336
  the list! the mmorpg of forums. the longer you play the stronger you are. an average uninterested 60 year old guy will almost always have owned more and better stuff than a 25 year old guy. it's a time+money equation, not an audio expertise rating. my father has owned at least twice as many audio stuff as me, and most likely his last stuff is worth more than all the audio gears I've bought in my life. he never knew a thing and simply bought the expensive stuff some guy told him was the best. I guess he would get maximum respect for his massive expertise on headfi...
a little silly TBH. and that's without accounting for all the people who couldn't care less about showing a list of the stuff they own to others.

ps: no hd800 on full moon!
does it make music bright only once the sun is down? because I might need a clock to know when to switch amp.

Look, I could care less what they buy. It's their money, after all. But when they proclaim it's 'better' without even coming up with a shred of evidence, that's where I draw the line.

Also, no, in the day, it's even brighter. I mean, how could it not be: more solar energy! To tame the HD800's treble, you need to wait for a waxing crescent. /s

May 5, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #5,136 of 17,336
  the list! the mmorpg of forums. the longer you play the stronger you are.

Some of us old codgers are still just questing after bang for the buck sound, not money or prestige!

May 5, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #5,137 of 17,336

Well he didn't say audible range FOR HUMANS :wink:

In this case - see my exact reply to 
@sonitus mirus  - I did specify frequency response limited to (16)20 Hz - 20 kHz .

There are thread after thread about a specific not only principle of operation, but brand specific headphones . 
And yet there is little, if any ( I admit - did not go trough all of those threads  - at least the size of this one - EACH )
mention of  CABLES - and the totally unnecessary but audible troubles they cause, well within the human hearing range - and starting at the lowest  limits of hearing of the above little friends : (according to the "species" - of both headphones and bats )

[size=17.0300006866455px]Bats[/size][size=17.0300006866455px][edit]  (from wikipedia)[/size]
Bats have evolved very sensitive hearing to cope with their nocturnal activity. Their hearing range varies by species; at the lowest it can be 1 kHz for some species and for other species the highest reaches up to 200 kHz. Bats that can detect 200 kHz cannot hear very well below 10 kHz.[20] In any case, the most sensitive range of bat hearing is narrower: about 15 kHz to 90 kHz.[20]

If this is not a clue enough, then I do not know what it is. I did point out the problem ( one of them, the other(s) I did not proceed with - yet ) in this and other threads - only to get either blank stares from those who do not realize what the problem is - and not so well disguised unease from those who sell the solution to the problem that could basically, in most cases, be solved by the better cable - which is many times less expensive option. Or considerably further improve the performance by combining both. There is a catch, though; the said cable does not exist off the shelf - or at least I have not been capable of sourcing it; and I am good at sourcing hard to obtain parts. I did use "the next best readily available" cable - as a sort of technology demonstrator - if you will.

May 5, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #5,138 of 17,336
... so changing the cable makes a difference great enough to be AUDIBLE? Then something is incompetently designed or constructed. Either the cable or, more likely, the equipment being interconnected. Please list your equipment, so that I can avoid buying any of it... And don't bother to trot out the line that only the most resolving equipment can reveal the difference caused by the cable. That dog got too old to hunt a long time ago.

May 5, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #5,139 of 17,336
  ... so changing the cable makes a difference great enough to be AUDIBLE? Then something is incompetently designed or constructed. Either the cable or, more likely, the equipment being interconnected. Please list your equipment, so that I can avoid buying any of it... And don't bother to trot out the line that only the most resolving equipment can reveal the difference caused by the cable. That dog got too old to hunt a long time ago.

STAX

May 5, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #5,140 of 17,336
  In this case - see my exact reply to 
@sonitus mirus  - I did specify frequency response limited to (16)20 Hz - 20 kHz .

There are thread after thread about a specific not only principle of operation, but brand specific headphones . 
And yet there is little, if any ( I admit - did not go trough all of those threads  - at least the size of this one - EACH )
mention of  CABLES - and the totally unnecessary but audible troubles they cause, well within the human hearing range - and starting at the lowest  limits of hearing of the above little friends : (according to the "species" - of both headphones and bats )

[size=17.0300006866455px]Bats[/size][size=17.0300006866455px][edit]  (from wikipedia)[/size]
Bats have evolved very sensitive hearing to cope with their nocturnal activity. Their hearing range varies by species; at the lowest it can be 1 kHz for some species and for other species the highest reaches up to 200 kHz. Bats that can detect 200 kHz cannot hear very well below 10 kHz.[20] In any case, the most sensitive range of bat hearing is narrower: about 15 kHz to 90 kHz.[20]

If this is not a clue enough, then I do not know what it is. I did point out the problem ( one of them, the other(s) I did not proceed with - yet ) in this and other threads - only to get either blank stares from those who do not realize what the problem is - and not so well disguised unease from those who sell the solution to the problem that could basically, in most cases, be solved by the better cable - which is many times less expensive option. Or considerably further improve the performance by combining both. There is a catch, though; the said cable does not exist off the shelf - or at least I have not been capable of sourcing it; and I am good at sourcing hard to obtain parts. I did use "the next best readily available" cable - as a sort of technology demonstrator - if you will.

Again you fail to define the properties of a cable that affect the SQ. It's back to making unsubstantiated claims and hoping it'll stick to the wall. Well I think I've identified how this cable stuff works, it's based upon an old song,  "'Cause you know it's just. Your imagination running wild."

May 5, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #5,141 of 17,336
  Again you fail to define the properties of a cable that affect the SQ. It's back to making unsubstantiated claims and hoping it'll stick to the wall. Well I think I've identified how this cable stuff works, it's based upon an old song,  "'Cause you know it's just. Your imagination running wild."

To be fair, with speakers, there's a pretty big difference if you use 30-gauge cable as opposed to a 10-gauge one............

May 5, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #5,142 of 17,336
  To be fair, with speakers, there's a pretty big difference if you use 30-gauge cable as opposed to a 10-gauge one............

Who uses 30 gauge wire for speakers? But you can use lamp cord/brown zip cord not silver cables that were assembled by elves.
Also the gauge can be determined by how much power is required and the length of the run.

May 5, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #5,143 of 17,336

Oh dear - I did write STAX - didn't I ? What  are they famous for - vacuum cleaners ?

Now - once for a change - step down from the cathedre http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cath%C3%A8dre , out of the comfort zone - and start thinking - this case does not even require thinking out of the box, just plain solid engineering - IF one understands the principle of operation and problems it creates in real world where there are no limitless resources.

CAPACITANCE

May 5, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #5,144 of 17,336
Originally Posted by analogsurviver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...be solved by the better cable...

I have been working for some years on a comprehensive guide to audio interconnect cables, which will answer every question the novice and expert alike will need to know. I decided to make it publicly available here in its entirety, so without further ado, I present...

LaMode's Comprehensive Guide to Audio Interconnect Cables for the Novice and Expert Alike

Question: Do cables make a difference to the sound?
Answer: No

May 5, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #5,145 of 17,336
  Who uses 30 gauge wire for speakers? But you can use lamp cord/brown zip cord not silver cables that were assembled by elves.
Also the gauge can be determined by how much power is required and the length of the run.

The power efficiency is not important on a home audio system. Losing 5% of power is barely an audible difference.

However the resistance of the cable will affect the speaker's damping, which may be audible in extreme circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back