Tellig at Stereophile ATH-AD700 rave
May 17, 2008 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

flohmann

100+ Head-Fier
In the June 2008 issue, Sam Tellig sings the praises of the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, which he scored for ~$110 delivered from NewEgg.com (they've still got inventory). Some select quotes: "almost as open as, and maybe even more airy than, the far more expensive AKG 701"; "almost pulled off the impossible: they sounded spacious. They separated the sound from my skull"; "Definition and detail, while short of the very best, were excellent."

Anyhow, anyone out there care to opine on the merits of the AD700 at the $110 price point?

May 17, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 22
lol. Oh-my-god-it's-so-good-I-got-a-new-toy syndrome wears out quickly.

especially when you already have a good can, and get lesser cans
biggrin.gif

Same reason why I cant listen to AD700/900/1000 anymore.

May 17, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 22
For the price, they are great choice for airy expansive sound and sounds good unamped. I'll still go Grado/Alessandro or Goldring for rock, and I think many $150+ heapdhones sounds better than the AD700.

May 17, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 22
I would have probably said the same thing ignorantly a month ago. Then I got the HD600s.

They're still amazing at providing a sense of immersion with a massive soundstage as they ever were, even compared to the HD600s. Listening to something like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and they're almost enveloping. HD600 wipes the floor with them for detail, bass impact and warmth though.

May 17, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by flohmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the June 2008 issue, Sam Tellig sings the praises of the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, which he scored for ~$110 delivered from NewEgg.com (they've still got inventory). Some select quotes: "almost as open as, and maybe even more airy than, the far more expensive AKG 701"; "almost pulled off the impossible: they sounded spacious. They separated the sound from my skull"; "Definition and detail, while short of the very best, were excellent."

Anyhow, anyone out there care to opine on the merits of the AD700 at the $110 price point?

Ah, Sam's just a johnny-come-lately to these fine cans. See:

SoundStage! All In Your Head

Seriously, the ATH-AD700s are fine headphones that do a lot of this well. Plus they can be found for little $$$. Can't beat that combo witha stick. I kept mine.

May 17, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have probably said the same thing ignorantly a month ago. Then I got the HD600s.

They're still amazing at providing a sense of immersion with a massive soundstage as they ever were, even compared to the HD600s. Listening to something like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and they're almost enveloping. HD600 wipes the floor with them for detail, bass impact and warmth though.

You are probably right (at least as far as you're concerned). I didn't find the ATH-AD700s to better my AKG K601s, so it doesn't surprise me that they don't equal Sam's K701s or your HD600s. But then, none of those better headphones can be found (new!) for as little as the AD700s. So for the person who is moving up the headphone ladder and doesn't want to or have the money to play with, the ATH-AD700 is a fine choice as an all around headphone to show what good cans can offer. Their easy drivability is a plus, since none of the better cans can be run unamped like the AD700s can.

While its fun to compare lesser headphones to the cream of the crop in reviews, in the real world we should compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. No one it saying the Audio-Technicas are the equal of headphones like the top-o-the-line AKGs, Sennheisers, ect. But for their low price they can come awfully close - and that's a good thing for many out there.

May 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 22
By jove, I think, just think mind you, that Sam Tellig, in his column, is referring to a Head-Fi thread that I started last September entitled, "Philosophical Dislike of Flagship Cans":

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/ph...p-cans-256176/

Does he now owe me royalties or something?
wink.gif

I love Sam and his work, and hope to see more headphone reviews, since, after all, for better or for worse, they are the future of audio.

http://www.greggfedchak.com

May 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 22
As a gamer, they are fantastic really (drools at soundstage) and for person that games and wants the music aspect of it too, the AD-700's are no doubt the best all-rounder for these purposes.

On a purely musical standpoint, others are better but as an all-rounder that includes gaming, it's extremely hard to beat for it's value.

May 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 22
they are okay for the price but i was so glad i sold them when i did and would never go back. for reasons beyond sound: they don't fit my head.

way too big. i don't want an elastic mod, i want a headphone just to fit. as well, they are being reviewed by stereophile in usa where they are not really a big manufacturer so they have the exotic appeal. i have never heard of anyone here rave about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back