TEAC HA-P90SD (To be released in Dec, 2014)
Jul 25, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #76 of 447
HibyMusic reportedly could read contents in Aurender Flow USB DAC via USb connection from a phone.
If it can read from Aurendrr Flow, it should read from Teac DAC too.
If a PC can recognize P90SD as an storage device and show its microSD content, HibyMusic will do the same.

Yes PC can read P90SD, shows up as removable drive. I'm not using P90SD with any other device, just been using P90SD by itself with micro sd.

Also did you know the PCM1795 uses the same amount of power as desktop ESS9018! No wonder P90SD has short battery life.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #77 of 447
Yes PC can read P90SD, shows up as removable drive. I'm not using P90SD with any other device, just been using P90SD by itself with micro sd.

Then HibyMusic will also show it as an External SD card device. You will be able to control the whole unit through HibyMusic App.
Once you control the device completely through HibyMusic app, it will save some battery life.

Does it sound better than PHA-3? PHA-3 is also on sale for 600 as used on Ebay.

Can it charge via USB?
Can it charge while playing?

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #78 of 447
Does it sound better than PHA-3? PHA-3 is also on sale for 600 as used on Ebay.

Can it charge via USB?
Can it charge while playing?

Yes can charge while playing and charge through usb, and can also turn off usb charging in menu.

The PHA-3 is twice as powerful in balanced mode, but the P90 is definitely better than PHA-3 if both are used single ended, the P90 amp is similar in size compared to the PHA-3 balanced amp, so what I'm saying is that the single ended amp in PHA-3 is half the size of the P90 amp. So, single ended P90 wins, balanced PHA-3 wins. As for the dac setup, that comes down to preference, whether you like ESS sound or Burr Brown sound. But the P90 could possibly have better processing with Blackfin.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #79 of 447
Yes can charge while playing and charge through usb, and can also turn off usb charging in menu if you don't want P90 to steal your phones battery.

The PHA-3 is twice as powerful in balanced mode, but the P90 is definitely better than PHA-3 if both are used single ended, the P90 amp is similar in size compared to the PHA-3 balanced amp, so what I'm saying is that the single ended amp in PHA-3 is half the size of the P90 amp. So, single ended P90 wins, balanced PHA-3 wins. As for the dac setup, that comes down to preference, whether you like ESS sound or Burr Brown sound. But the P90 could possibly have better processing with Blackfin.

That's what I'm saying. Now PHA-3 is 600 as used on Ebay. P90SD is 555 as new.
Both of them are compatible with Android. It's hard to decide lol

Anyways, it's great that it can charge from phone. My Samsung Note 4 has 10,000mAh battery case. I think I will be fine with that.
PHA-3, on the other hand, needs a sepaeate charging USB cable.
Its battery life is not better than P90SD's. So, in terms of battery life, P90SD wins. Also, PHA-3 doesn't have a microSD.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #83 of 447
Well I haven't actually tried OTG, but reading the manual it says will only charge through usb when connected to computer if P90 is off. So not sure about OTG.

So, do you mean it can charge from a phone only when it's turned off?

I already have a real Teac UH01 so I won't be using P90SD with a PC. I don't care about PC charging...

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #84 of 447
The manual doesn't mention anything about charging over OTG, so it's not looking good. As I said, only mentions can charge through usb if P90 is off. I ordered a micro usb cable anyway, so will check in a few days when I get it.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #85 of 447
The manual doesn't mention anything about charging over OTG, so it's not looking good. As I said, only mentions can charge through usb if P90 is off. I ordered a micro usb cable anyway, so will check in a few days when I get it.

You told me that P90SD has an option for turning on/off phone charging. Right?
If that's true, it will be able to charge from a phone over OTG.
This is obviously what PHA-3 can't do.

See if P90SD can charge while playing over OTG and HibyMusic.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #87 of 447
P90 has an option in menu that says turn off/on usb charging, doesn't mention anything about phone, that was my mistake. But I will check when I get the cable I ordered.

Ok. You may want to order a USB to micro USB cable as well.
Manual shows that phone can connect via normal USB, not micro USB which is for PC.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002HZYBZ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1437881419&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=Usb+to+micro+usb+1ft&dpPl=1&dpID=31-nc0s2cEL&ref=plSrch

I think micro USB to micro USB OTG may work fine but the manual shows USB to micro USB connection for phones...

If HibyMusic can read its microSD and phone can charge it, P90SD is the ultimate winner. PHA-3 can't do any of that.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #89 of 447
Manual says the port used on P90SD must be the Micro USB for PC and Android, the USB Port on P90SD is only for Apple.

I see.... the phone picture in manual was an iPhone then.
Yeah, that micro USB to micro USB OTG must work.

Let me know if you can charge via USB while playing, read from microSD by using HibyMusic.
------------
Teac's website lists P90SD as "Reference To Go" series.

http://www.teac.com/content/downloads/products/928/ebrochure_premium_component_2015(us).pdf

I prefer pro reference sound over coloured audiophile sound. I think this series is a good deal. UD501 reference DAC is better than DX100, Benchmark, etc. I wonder what they will come up next.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #90 of 447
How cute is the P90 color matched to my Beyerdynamic DTX 102, sounds good together too 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back