TEAC HA-P90SD (To be released in Dec, 2014)
Jul 21, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #436 of 447
P90 beats P50. P50 has that very nice PCM5102 DAC, but 5102 has a different sound from the other Burr Brown DACs. P90 sounds more natural and organic, among other things.

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #438 of 447
How would you compare P90 to Teac UD-503?
Do they sound similar? I liked Teac's UD-H01 a lot... if P90 sounds like their UD models, I want to try it.
Owning both, so I give some of my thoughts while pairing them with my MDR-Z7 through a single-end cable.
For sound signature, the P90 has warm sound but still less warm than the Sony PHA-1 (Wolfson DAC). The UD-503, on the other hand, is nearly neutral and a bit warm, maybe because of the Z7. In short, they sound differently but not on the opposite pole.
It's predictable and true that the UD-503 is also superior in term of soundstage, imaging, texture and detail of sound. I just focus on the vocal part. I hear the vocal more natural on the UD-503. I don't mean it's realistic because I have no idea of the real voices of singers or the intention of mastering. I can feel a short subtle hum before a singer sings a word and the afterward aspiration detail & quiet echo from the mouth. They are more noticeable with tracks of live recording. Those things seem to be cut off on P90 although I feel the vocal closer to my ears. And I see the sound is smoother on UD-503, quite contradicting to the logic warmer = smoother. The differences include an extra dimension. It's not fair to compare mobile and desktop models at the beginning. :D
However, I'm satisfied with my P90 and XBA-A3 for portable. The P90 can push the maximum potential of sound quality and detail reproduction on the A3 and, I think, other mid-range IEMs. A3 doesn't resolve further on the UD-503.

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #440 of 447
For me, it's a yes.
The DP-X1 alone is an excellent DAP. However, there are things I don't like. Its sound is thin and clinical. It doesn't do DSD natively. It has a quite weak output in spite of balanced jack, it can't drive XBA-A3 perfectly. It still nails other easy-to-drive IEMs. I find it's so good with SE535 at playing classical/orchestra music.
For P90, its built-in playback programme is a joke. I only exploit its strength and warmth on hardware.
I use DP-X1 as a source. I must confess its DAP-player is the best playback programme I've ever seen. I run its real-time DSD conversion to feed P90 via DoP. This function give the sound more details than TEAC HRPlayer or the one on UD-503. The DP-X1 beat many DAPs I ever tried and PCs for exporting digital data to the P90. The P90 helps to drive some fullsize cans.

Mar 28, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #446 of 447
It's not superior to P90SD, there is only a single difference from P90SD to HA300, which is:

P90SD uses opamp OPA1602 while HA300 uses opamp Muses8920, It is a straight swap, nothing changes in the implementation.

Are the OPA soldered on the board or just mounted? Are they swapable against new generation OPA2156?

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #447 of 447
I recently purchased the HA-P90SD and I can attest to its incredible sound quality listening through my HD 600s. This thread helped me decide on the device, so I wanted to report on one feature that at first frustrated me, but now is figured out: decoding for iOS.

Hardware/software Info:

HA-P90SD Firmware Version: 1.3.0 or 1.30 (most current as of 17 July 2020)

iOS version: 13.5.1 (most current complete release as of 17 July 2020)

iPhone: Xs Max 256GB

The device was originally (2014/15) promoted as being able to decode for iOS without the use of the usb/lightning adapter dongle.The usb type A port on the HA-P90SD does not recognize iOS devices with the most current version of the operating system. I contacted TEAC support to ask about this and was informed that this issue was known and a solution was being considered. I was given an email to contact for more information and have reached out, but with no response after a week or so.

When I first received the HA-P90SD I tested everything out to see if there were manufacturing defects. After discovering that the usb a connection with iOS had been broken on the most current versions of the operating system I then tried to connect the device to my iPhone (Xs Max) with the usb 3 camera connection kit (the one with a lighting in port). The device was recognized by my phone but the phone responded with a dialog box stating that the power draw of the HA-P90SD was too high to be used. Distressed, I abandoned the endeavor.

Randomly, today I decided to try to connect the HA-P90SD to my iPhone with usb charge turned off. (Unfortunately I do not remember the settings I originally tried when I first attempted to connect the P90 to my iPhone). I had read somewhere online that a workaround for usb devices that register on iOS as drawing too much power can be to first connect to the usb 3 camera connection kit with the lighting in port to external power, then connect it to the iPhone. Once the iPhone shows that it is receiving power, to then connect the device to the camera connection kit. Curious, I tried this with usb charge turned off on the P90 and to my pleasant surprise not only did the overdraw dialog box not pop up, but the P90 was recognized as an audio out option by the iPhone! I tested a few songs from the Apple Music app and they played perfectly. The HA-P90SD was successfully connected to an iOS device running the most current software!

Feeling lucky, I unplugged the external power to the usb 3 connection kit and the connection persisted with no changes. Music still played. I then unplugged the connection kit from the iPhone and plugged in back in without any external power: successful connection. I have not gone through all the settings on the HA-P90SD to determine the exact configurations that work and those that break the successful connection to iOS, but I certainly will try them later today.

For those who would like to corroborate my findings, these are the settings on the HA-P90SD that successfully connected to iOS 13.5.1 (I’m not sure which settings are relevant; perhaps it is just usb charge and/or power mode):

Hardware settings:
Gain: L
Digital I/O & Line In: Line with no 3.5mm cable connected
Headphone Jack: headphones connected
Hold Toggle: Off
SD card: Present: 128GB Sandisk SDXC
PC micro usb connection: connected
USB type A port: unconnected
DC in 5V: unconnected

Software Settings:
Power: 100%
Play: