TDK BA200 Thread
May 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #196 of 1,509
UPDATE: Embedded Sonove's graph onto the first post.

From the graph, people can see that the bass response is equal to that of the Image X5, yet better extended into the lowest of lows; it's midrange is the most conservative of the three earphones compared, so that's the reason why people think the highs are far away --- diminished upper midrange presence. Even then, it has clear, present midrange. High extension is close to matching that of the ER4S.

EDIT: Embedded it here for easier reference, but it's also on the first page...

May 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #197 of 1,509
No, I didn't want to say that ba200 have deficient highs, no, they have good audible highs. But these high frequency don't come on the first place, if i will need to describe positions of the musicants on the scene I would say that in these iems on first place is vocals, and highs is placed behind vocalist. The graphs will be interresting to see. I'm interrested how they will compare to each other.

May 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #199 of 1,509
Quote:
  No, I didn't want to say that ba200 have deficient highs, no, they have good audible highs. But these high frequency don't come on the first place, if i will need to describe positions of the musicants on the scene I would say that in these iems on first place is vocals, and highs is placed behind vocalist. The graphs will be interresting to see. I'm interrested how they will compare to each other.

Oh, I wasn't necessarily meaning you --- it's just that several people have been complaining about the high response of the BA200; they're expecting something with sparkle, but it's clearly not tuned that way --- the ER4S isn't 'sparkly' by any means, either. The graph is already on the first page.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #200 of 1,509
INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

Yesterday and today I went through this thread twice in anticipation of delivery today of my new TDK BA200 earphones.  I had dialed back my expectations.  I open the package, put them in my ears (expecting a bad fit, or extreme discomfort, but experiencing neither).  Plug them into my Fiio E17 DAC/Amp to listen to high bit-rate mp3s on the computer.  I'm waiting for the low-impact bass, and rolled off highs.  OK.  Here we go.

WOW ---- these sound GREAT!  There's nothing like dialing back one's expectations. The clarity is striking.  The bass goes down LOW, not muddy, not overemphasized, just clear.  True, my eardrums aren't being blown into my head by the impact.  Is that sibilance I'm hearing?  Where are the rolled off highs?

After 15 minutes of listening I'm second guessing  myself.  Am I missing an octave up top?  Now I'm not sure.  I punch up the treble on the EQ.  Hmm, sounds better.  Maybe these ARE a bit "laid back".  Not sure.

Let's see how they sound unamped out of my Sansa Fuze.  They sound very good.  OK.  Now I hear that maybe they ARE missing a little bit of sizzle.  But I'm not getting that congested, muddy sound I first heard out of my W4s (I'm now convinced the W4 needs to be amped to sound good).

I've only used the one set of tips (the larger double flange that comes pre-installed).  I'll have to play some more with other tips, but overall, out of the, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #201 of 1,509
After getting TDKs for a month, I would say that my view on them fluctuates a lot. Sound signature reminds me of Sony MDR-E888 that I listened to a decade ago that is thin sounding at times. I am not sure if it is about my fit. I have tried the comply foams but definitely the L size bi flange that came equipped by default is most ideal to me as comply seem to 'dull the treble'. But one thought pretty consistent is that they are non fatigue sounding. My 10 years Grado SR80s are thrilling to listen in daytime but too overwhelming to listen late at night. TDKs are the phones that I prefer to listen late at night.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #202 of 1,509

Hi all...
I need some help here.
I've attached 2 pics that show that the filter of my right earbud has came out.
Talking to TDK/Imation in Singapore is no help because they claim it's a wear and tear issue even though it's only 4 months since I got it.

I'm in my office now but I seem to recall there were a set of replacement filters. Are those able to solve this problem?

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #204 of 1,509
Thanks!
I don't suppose these will affect the sound in any way right? I assume it's more of a protection against ear wax?
Though I'm surprised it came out so easily as this is my 1st time taking out the earbuds to clean them.
Hope I still have the replacement filters at home.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #205 of 1,509
Quote:
Thanks!
I don't suppose these will affect the sound in any way right? I assume it's more of a protection against ear wax?

The thin nylon that got ripped on your pair is only for ear-wax protection, while I suppose that the red filter under it is an acoustic filter.
I don't think that the sound would be affected, but I'd recommend you to replace the defective filter as soon as possible.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #207 of 1,509
I contacted TDK in Singapore and requested for assistance. Wasn't hoping for much since I believed they were prepared for this kind of issue when they bundled the replacement filters with the pair.
However they were nice enough to order a replacement pair for me. So I'm waiting for them to call me to collect my new set.

I do not have other IEMS with these kind of filters so I'm unsure if this is common or just a 1 off.
These seems really fragile, falling out just after 4 months.
And it's not as if I'm removing the buds every day (to cause this) since I haven't changed them since I bought it.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #209 of 1,509
I do not have other IEMS with these kind of filters so I'm unsure if this is common or just a 1 off.
These seems really fragile, falling out just after 4 months.
And it's not as if I'm removing the buds every day (to cause this) since I haven't changed them since I bought it.

That happens a lot on IEM with glued on filter. JAYS is pretty much the first to use this kind of double filter design on their IEM and they fall out just as fast, and that was 4~5 years ago. However, think of the alternative when your earwax stick to the inner filter and you have to sent the whole IEM back for repair, now that would suck big time (just ask any Westone owner who has this problem before). Anyway, it is ideal but it is still reasonable. Just don't remove the eartips at all or be careful next time you need to take them off. I had one side of it fall out as well when I was cleaning the eartips, but I stick it back right away and it is still in there.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #210 of 1,509
Hi guys! I just bought my BA-200s today in Singapore for a very nice price - $148SGD. This is my first pair of balanced armature IEMs, and also the most expensive IEM I own. I don't currently have a portable amp, is one required for this? If so, what do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back