T-Peos H-100 Hybrid IEM Appreciation Thread
Oct 15, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #47 of 1,259
I got my H-100RR today.

I liked:
- build quality and fit/accessories/box as well:
- wooden box - nice (looks good, can't scratch it with a finger nail :D )
- metal body, incl the red rings.
- soft case (unlikely you can crush these, although I guess you can twist off a strain relief)
- adjustable Y-Split rubber ring past the metal (?) y-split (plastic inside, outer ring is possibly metal).
- the cable doesn't tangle, and you can hardly feel and hear tapping it below the y-split. The cable above the y-split is not sheathed and does make noise if tapped.
- comfort (with foam tips, they sit well and I can hardly feel them in my ears and the seal is great)
- the geeky looking neck strap to hook up to the IEM cable above the y-split so you don't drop them.

Disliked:
- no foam tips included. Using comply T500 - more comfortable and better fit.
- fairly significant noise if you bump the bits above the y-split into your clothes.
- The stock tip stems are really stiff rubber and I managed to tear one apart when removing them. (not a big fan of the hybrid silicon + foam, but YMMV).

Found Odd:
- With my cowon d2, or external dac + O2 at work, I can hear a distinct upper mids (see below) and separate treble peak (hats), making it sound somewhat unnatural and unpleasant/artificial. (grating and v-shaped). To the point of being disturbing and me probably describing them as having off tonal balance (modern music sound ok, but female vocals - hollow, and classical sounds horrible, with fortepiano sounding like harpsichord for say Levin or Tan)
- With Musiland MD30's internal amp, low impedance HP socket (as in low power earphone socket, not low output impedance ) - they sound very nice. Crisp but not over the top treble, only a slight upper mids bump and deep bass (maybe some very slight resonance in the upper mids). Not perfect, but by far more coherent than AF78, and awesome for that price (I prefer UM's TWFK or 2TWFK tuning for treble and upper mids, but I know a lot of people think it's too bright). If anything I'll probably keep them as a replacement for Full-size headphones for late night listening or movies.
- I'll see what they sound like with my clip+ on the way.

I had a free extra B-100 included with my order, and one earpiece is dead. Guess nothing to complain if it was free and they're sorta supposed to be < $50, if not <$30. But raises questions about QC, at least for their cheaper models. The working earpiece is ok for that price. (slightly sibilant (and buzzy) and not much below 80hz). The seller offered replacement with refunded shipping or a partial refund, so no issues there.

Edit: regarding cowon and o2 vs musiland as a source or amp. I think MD30's low impedance HP output has a 50 ohm resistor and is just the high impedance HP jack circuit otherwise :D. Adding a 70, or 200 ohm adapter to the H-100 makes them sound good on the O2 and cowon d2, or md30's high impedance HP output as well (fantastic on the latter). Hmmmm....Dunno what to say at this point.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #49 of 1,259
I had a free extra B-100 included with my order, and one earpiece is dead. Guess nothing to complain if it was free and they're sorta supposed to be < $50, if not <$30. But raises questions about QC, at least for their cheaper models. The working earpiece is ok for that price. (slightly sibilant (and buzzy) and not much below 80hz). The seller offered replacement with refunded shipping or a partial refund, so no issues there.
Edit: regarding cowon and o2 vs musiland as a source or amp. I think MD30's low impedance HP output has a 50 ohm resistor and is just the high impedance HP jack circuit otherwise :D. Adding a 70, or 200 ohm adapter to the H-100 makes them sound good on the O2 and cowon d2, or md30's high impedance HP output as well (fantastic on the latter). Hmmmm....Dunno what to say at this point.

I tried the P-S adapter (75ohm) on my H-100, and hear pretty much what you described there with treble dampened and mid pull forwarded - except I don't find it to my liking and much prefer the original sound. I guess you don't like a 'balanced' sound signature.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #50 of 1,259
Sounds like these aren't to bad I guess I'm going to have to get a pair soon.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #52 of 1,259
I tried the P-S adapter (75ohm) on my H-100, and hear pretty much what you described there with treble dampened and mid pull forwarded - except I don't find it to my liking and much prefer the original sound. I guess you don't like a 'balanced' sound signature.

>guess you don't like a 'balanced' sound signature

I think it's pretty horrible.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #53 of 1,259
>guess you don't like a 'balanced' sound signature
I think it's pretty horrible.

In that case, you might like e-Q5 if you haven't tried it. If you want something smooth, TDK IE800 is an excellent choice as well.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #54 of 1,259
Hey ClieOS how would you compare the H-100 to the e-Q5, is it on the same level or would you say its a little better in SQ?

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #55 of 1,259
Hey ClieOS how would you compare the H-100 to the e-Q5, is it on the same level or would you say its a little better in SQ?

Same level more or less. I probably rate H-100 just a little higher but it will still be in the same ballpark. A top-tier for sure, but not the absolute best of the best. Still given the price I don't think I can ask for more.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #56 of 1,259
Quote:
Same level more or less. I probably rate H-100 just a little higher but it will still be in the same ballpark. A top-tier for sure, but not the absolute best of the best. Still given the price I don't think I can ask for more.

Very interesting, unfortunately my pair is right now waiting to clear customs in the US.

In the meantime I'll ask you a few more questions, if you don't mind 
wink_face.gif
  What about the size of the nozzle, length and diameter, seems like it can cause issues with a deeper fit, comfort? Second question, how about wearing the cable around the ear to avoid the microphonics from the upper part of the cable. How close will the Y-split then be to my chin? I hope not too close, since I prefer to breathe freely and retain full movement of my neck/head :)

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #57 of 1,259
Very interesting, unfortunately my pair is right now waiting to clear customs in the US.

In the meantime I'll ask you a few more questions, if you don't mind :wink_face:   What about the size of the nozzle, length and diameter, seems like it can cause issues with a deeper fit, comfort? Second question, how about wearing the cable around the ear to avoid the microphonics from the upper part of the cable. How close will the Y-split then be to my chin? I hope not too close, since I prefer to breathe freely and retain full movement of my neck/head :)

Nozzle is your typical wide variant - think HifiMan, Monster, Sennheiser lower end CX series. It is more of a shallow fitting nozzle. The eartips, as mentioned by svyr, are a bit tight, so you need to be careful when removing it. Other wise, Sony hybrid and Comply 400 series should fit without any problem. The IEM can be wore straight down or over-the-ear without any problem, and cable is low in microphonics. Y-splitter to the earpieces is 28cm, or 11 inches. It is a little tighter than usual when you wear the IEM over-the-ear, but enough room not to bother me - plus, there is no reason to wear it over-the-ear since microphonics is low.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #58 of 1,259
Ordered. I was looking for a balanced signature with good SQ, ClieOS, how would you compare them to B2 and FXT90 ? Especially soundstage and resolution of B2, punch of FXT90.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #59 of 1,259
My H-100 arrived today..

Build & Accessories

I wasn't expecting the B100 to be included.. so that's a nice little gift to have thrown in.  The wood box is really quite nice.  The carrying pouch includes the same (sized) tips that are pictured in the plastic case above.. but with the foam/ring insert (that we've seen with the Sony Hybrid tip kit).  The tips are not identical to the hybrid.  They're a bit longer.. I like these more than the official Sony hybrid tips, actually.  The stock tips feel fine as far as comfort.. but I'll see if my Auveo tips will fit on these.. they look like they should.  Also included is a lanyard, airline adapter, and cleaning tool.  All in all.. the accessories are a nice, useful addition to the phones.  The IEM housing feels & appears rugged, yet remains quite lightweight.  They don't feel heavy or 'weighed down' when inserted in my ears.  Strain relief on the IEMs might look thin.. but it's stiff, strong, and secure.

Sound

I'll have more on this in time.. but in the brief hour or so I've spent with them.. I'm MIGHTY impressed with what I'm hearing, so far.  I'm a fan of a neutral, balanced, natural sound signature.. and I simply love what H-100 offers.  Words that immediately come to mind are: neutral, dynamic, powerful, effortless, clean, and accurate.  All listening was done straight from my iPhone 4.

Overall, the H-100 has a slightly cool, crisp, bright tone.. but it doesn't feel clinical or cold sounding at all.  Timbre is superb.  It's a very dynamic, open sounding IEM.  The soundstage, dynamic range, and imaging absolutely jumped out at me.  Easily among the best I've heard in a universal IEM.  Instruments sound quite accurately placed and the separation is excellent.  Driver cohesion doesn't appear to be an issue.. but I'll need more time to evaluate this.  It certainly doesn't sound like hybrid driver setup.  The sound is quite 'unified' & cohesive.

In terms of the fq curve.. it's one of the most neutral, uncolored sounding that I've heard to date from a universal.  Bass is quite linear.  No midbass hump.  It's impeccably textured, extends deep, and sounds natural and effortless.. as you would expect from a good quality, well tuned dynamic driver.  Control is fantastic.  no bloat or looseness even when stressed.  Moving onto the midrange.. it too sounds accurate, uncolored, and clear.  Instrument weight is perfect to me.. not too thick or thin.  Midrange positioning is neither forward or recessed...  perfectly positioned, IMO.  Timbre, clarity, and dynamics, really shine here, as well.  One thing I appreciate is how the tone isn't excessively dry or too lush & wet.  Again, it's simply spot on, IMO.  The treble is simply gorgeous.  Highly detailed, full off shimmer, openness, crispness & air.. with a very delicate tinge of warmth.  It manages all this without sounding unnaturally boosted or sharp.  Again, it's accurate, effortless, and thoroughly engaging.  I'm really curious as to what BA driver they used.. the tuning is quite impressive.  The treble has a nice natural decay and lacks that 'BA' grain I've heard from many other multi/BA IEMs

It's on the slightly brighter side, ootb.. but we'll see if that subsides in time.  In terms of drivability.. it sounds fantastic and very dynamic from my iPhone.  I have feel no desire or need to use an amp.. but definitely plan on running it through my dedicated sources and amps

In terms of personal preference.. I am finding very little to fault with this phone.  It's really quite ideal as to what I look for in sound.  This is the first hybrid driver IEM I've heard and it's incredibly impressive.  Easily among the finest (neutral) universal IEMs under $500, IMO.  It absolutely smokes the Westone 4, IMO.  I might end up liking it even more than the GR07 MKII.  For <$200, it has one of the best price-to-performance ratios I've heard/seen.

More comparisons with sources/amps/phones coming eventually.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #60 of 1,259
  It's not generally known, but Golden Ears had a hand in it's tuning. GE recently uses a reference point, similar to the ER4S' response with a subbass boost. Rin would be measuring these soon with a much more in-depth analysis. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back