T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Jul 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #346 of 1,424
If I didn't, that would be a very(very) bad thing indeed given they were defective. :wink:

^ HAHAHAHAHAHA ...... :neutral_face:

Edit: Might have defective pair, waiting for replacement unit.

KC06 comes first before altones? Is this purely because of the hot highs? I am a bit sensitive to highs though I recently discovered this as I couldn't stand the highs of jh13fr and ditas when I auditioned them.

Yeah mate, even when I lifted the volume on the KC06, they didn't sound painful. It's hard to be sure but I also want to say the sense of clarity was a match if not better on the KC06. I'll try to ask my niece for her pair to compare.

Wow - definite basshead huh?  I have Lorde's album, and could never imagine wanting more bass than the Altone200 delivers with this album.

Thanks for the impressions - it'll be great seeing some more POV.  I'd be really interested to see if your impressions change after some more time with them.  I'd suggest (if you do choose to review them in depth), that you spend at least a full day with them (no back and forth swapping) to give your ears a chance to adjust to the new sound signature.  Then do the A/Bs against the VSonic.

On the appearance comments:
  • Mine arrived with no residue or film, but I have another pair coming as well (I paid for them) - so will check those to see if there is any.  The build quality as far as machining goes on my first pair is excellent.
  • The "A" in Altone (on the body) is supposed to be a  split "A" (there is a gap at the top).  It is part of the styling of the text.  Nothing wrong with the quality of the lettering - you may just not like the font.

Anyway - looking forward to hearing more impressions later.  It has solved one thing for me - the VSonic GR07 BE is definitely off my list of IEMs to try :wink: .  Out of curiousity - what other audio gear do you have, and besides the GR07 - what else is your "go to"? 

I don't think the GR07 BE is widely considered a "basshead" iem. To me, it's lacking quantity when I really want to get moving but it works so dam well with so dam much kind of deal. It does bass justice on music that needs that low end presence and I consider it my lower limit for quantity in most cases. Something like the H3 would be more basshead territory.

Now you might say I'm a basshead but take into consideration I would end up using a more balance iem like my BE more then the "basshead" phone number two I've been searching for. I listen to too much music to want my low end lifted that much all the time. It might be my lower limit but dam can that limit be done well. Ergo, GR07 BE is stiff competition from inception to supposed discontinuation, impressive in my eyes and ears. Don't forget its cost...

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #347 of 1,424
I think in the end (even with a replacement pair) you still preferred GR07 over ASG-2 didn't you Unity? It's all logged in several pages of ekes thread. That's like a $600+ hybrid, and I along with many others disagreed with you. Mate, I've owned KC06 and I'm telling you now straight up there's no way they match the clarity of Altone200 mid-range, no way possible. I'm saying this from all the experience I've gained. I don't mean to go off the deep end, but this is a bit fishy. Tell you what I think? You had your mind made up about GR07 well before Altone200 arrived, probably listened 10 minutes without an adjustment period, jumped straight online then made your already chosen conclusion. Too many things aren't lining up or corresponding with the reviewers conclusions.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #348 of 1,424
Luke - I'm guessing this is just coming down to preference - although I would like to see a little more info from UIP regarding other headphones he owns / uses regularly.  I suspect from his comments on the music he tested + also the continued comments re bass, that the quantity of the bass is one of the more important things to him.

It's all good.  In his case - the GR07 BE's are obviously ticking his boxes - I suspect that I would probably dislike the bass quantity.

More impressions are going to roll in as others also receive their Altones.  It will be interesting to see how they fare.

I am still enjoying mine immensely!

On another note - I'm now having the same issue you had with your DN-1000.  Cable is starting to stiffen quite a bit from the v-split up to the body of the IEMs.  It's a pity, as I did really like the feel of the cable to start with.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #349 of 1,424
Yeah, I don't mean to go off the deep end at Unity, I actually like the guy and can understand his preference choice it would be naive not too. I just cannot help feel he rushed himself and didn't allow the correct adjustment period, I have these visions of him ripping the box open putting them in his ear for 20 seconds saying "nah" then bashing his keyboard out on the forums. I know I've done it in the past with R-50 a long time ago and made myself look like an arse because I was coming from two completely different signatures. so I just want him to be sure.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #350 of 1,424
Preference is a huge factor in creating ones impression. I for one have a different liking to a specific quantity of bass. If I were to tweak the altone to my perfect signature there will be a -4db @ 180hz and -6db @ 300hz. As much as I praise the technical ability of the altone I can't help but wish my eq'd version is the stock sound. I still love the altone despite... But this just proved to me that our minds are hard to convince once it is set. It's like the girl next door... You just can't get over her!

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #351 of 1,424
Anyway, up to this point all new members impressions have been added to the OP for summarizing.

I'll pop back in later through the week and continue adding them.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #353 of 1,424
I was expecting to like the Altone more then my BE. I used them for a couple hours before I posted to give myself time to listen with different music, tips, positions, and depths.

I'll post more but need to get ready for work like 30m ago. Quickly tho, Brooko has a better idea of what the deal is.

I like you as well mate :wink:

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #354 of 1,424
Which highs are peakier, Altones or dn1k?

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #357 of 1,424
Me too, I thought on certain tracks the highs on dn1k was bit on the peaky side. I am quite sensitive to highs that is the only reason holding me from purchasing the altones. ATM I am really eyeing the clarity of the altones if dn1k is grainy compared to them because I found the dn1k to be quite clear, altones is very interesting indeed. Maybe a slight eq on the upper ends might do it for me.

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #358 of 1,424
I'm receiving two more pairs of Altone200 tomorrow, one of our Australian members purchased two pairs and thinks they sound different. Well, he's positive one pair is playing up. One of them having "not much bass" as people are describing. I'm going to compare with the prototype and confirm if there's an indeed an issue between all x3 pairs. 

If there's a problem I'll be sure to report it here for everyone.

Me too, I thought on certain tracks the highs on dn1k was bit on the peaky side. I am quite sensitive to highs that is the only reason holding me from purchasing the altones. ATM I am really eyeing the clarity of the altones if dn1k is grainy compared to them because I found the dn1k to be quite clear, altones is very interesting indeed. Maybe a slight eq on the upper ends might do it for me.

They pair very well with Sansa Clip or Zip. If you ever need to EQ them using rockbox. Even I add a little EQ on the lower treble (reduce it by about -1db @ 7k)

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #359 of 1,424
Luke - I have a second pair that should be just about here tomorrow (maybe Weds).

I'll do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back