Symphonium Crimson - Impressions and Reviews (The Next Standard)
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #361 of 445
Hi everyone,

I've been having issues with Crimson's treble lately so I tried SpinFit Omni tips at the suggestion of some friends.

Here are my impressions using a iBasso 320MAX Ti DAP which is a neutral DAP with a slight bright tilt.

I had an issue on cymbal clashes sounding tizzy on Velvets that the Omni corrects. Omni presents a high clarity sound that sounds tonally balanced.

Vocals are placed neutrally or maybe even a touch back which opens up the staging compared to some other tips I've tried.

Overall, Omnis are correct-sounding ear tips that I think work really well with 320MAX.

Note: Omnis run a bit small, so going a size up is recommended.

These Omnis are indeed a good match for Crimson. I prefer the Velvets still(I think), but Omni does seem to take a little off the top, as you say. Omnis are also a pain to get on the nozzle but less of one than the Velvets are. Small victories lol. I also tried the Coreir Brass, which was great at times and not so great at others(treble), so I'll use those for something else.

Crimson is still wowing me every day. :ksc75smile:

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #362 of 445
Just got my Crimson Friday, picked up a launch edition second hand from @kundica.
Thanks again for trusting a new member and helping me to step into the world of hifi.

I have a limited point of reference as the only other iems I have owned are the Creative Aurvana Trio and Sony XM4 wireless.
Running the Crimson off a Questyle M15 in high gain and enjoying it so far. I did get to listen to them off a Hiiby RS8 this weekend at a local headfi meet and can say these loved the extra power and R2R dac.

I don't find the trebble to much with the Azlas, but I am still experimenting with tips. These are some of my impressions.

• Azla - Most resolving/neutral to the iem sound across the range. Really like these for technical all rounder.
  • Divinus - seem to enhance the midbass(most punchy) and mids to me, but roll off both the sub bass and high trebble. These are my fave for simpler vocal tracks.
  • Spinfit - Resolve well but reduce trebble, they also seem to enhance the lower end. Probably the easiest listening but also very fun bass emphasized sound.
  • Render - Have to size up as M won't properly seal with these iem. May order L to try later in the hopes of enhancing low end while keeping trebble.

Overall I am really enjoying the initial 3 tips mentioned with the preference being Spinfit right now.

Nov 24, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #363 of 445
Crazy Head-fier alert!! While on holiday for my birthday to Brussels and Amsterdam I had the opportunity to stop in at the Headphone Audition Amsterdam shop. I highly recommend this shop to any European Headfi member. Stefan is not only a gentleman but truly loves what he does and offers exceptional service.

Well I bought the HAAX, what is the HAAX you say? It is a power amp designed by Thrax Audio of Bulgaria, this company builds absolutely state of the art audio gear. The device is power only, so for my use it is fed by the Ibasso 320 amp 12 line out using the Ibasso volume pot. Holy schiit folks this thing sounds immense with the Crimson. While not night and day from the Ibasso it is a step up in all areas.
It is expensive at € 3k, but damn if this didn't solve my amp and space issues all in one shot. I have 2 full sized headphones on the way as part of my Spain move from the US and this will power both with ease.

anyway I highly recommend this to any deep pocketed or for those that throw fiscal caution to the wind for great sound.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #364 of 445
I've got good results with the ifi stack and a simple Fosi pre-amp. Very satisfying experience :smile:

Crimson.jpg

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #367 of 445
Just a quick update to my post about my tip rolling experiences.

I ordered the render tips in large. I am sure if it's a material quality issue, or related to the insert depth etc but I can not get a proper seal so I won't be using these.

The spinfit I referenced in my original post were the older CP1025 version. I have since acquired the Spinfit Omni and while they are a huge pita to get on (even more so than Divinitus Velvets) to me the sound is improved more.

The Onmi have a wider bore than the CP1025 and now seem to bring more detail while keeping a reduced high end and an enhanced low end.

Also paired the Crimson with a Hiby RS8 and these scale very well. The Crimson loves the increased gain from the Questyle M15 I was previously using.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #368 of 445
Just a quick update to my post about my tip rolling experiences.

I ordered the render tips in large. I am sure if it's a material quality issue, or related to the insert depth etc but I can not get a proper seal so I won't be using these.

The spinfit I referenced in my original post were the older CP1025 version. I have since acquired the Spinfit Omni and while they are a huge pita to get on (even more so than Divinitus Velvets) to me the sound is improved more.

The Onmi have a wider bore than the CP1025 and now seem to bring more detail while keeping a reduced high end and an enhanced low end.

Also paired the Crimson with a Hiby RS8 and these scale very well. The Crimson loves the increased gain from the Questyle M15 I was previously using.
After listening to warmer IEMs for the past couple of weeks, I went back to the Crimson and couldn't get over how spicy it got on some tracks. This led to more tip rolling and I settled on the Spinfit CP100 Plus. There's less spice now, but I'm curious to see how the Omnis would compare based on recent findings. I might have to pick up a pair to test.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #369 of 445
After listening to warmer IEMs for the past couple of weeks, I went back to the Crimson and couldn't get over how spicy it got on some tracks. This led to more tip rolling and I settled on the Spinfit CP100 Plus. There's less spice now, but I'm curious to see how the Omnis would compare based on recent findings. I might have to pick up a pair to test.
This is how I felt going from Singularity to Crimson.

Omnis are nice and balanced. For lusher mids and a smoother treble you can also try NF Audio MS42 tips. As a warm-fi lover, this was my favorite pairing before I ultimately sold Crimson.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #370 of 445
This is how I felt going from Singularity to Crimson.

Omnis are nice and balanced. For lusher mids and a smoother treble you can also try NF Audio MS42 tips. As a warm-fi lover, this was my favorite pairing before I ultimately sold Crimson.
Thanks for the tip.. ok, I'll see myself out now.

I'll give the NF tips a try too, and yea, I saw your Crimson in the Classifieds at a great price. If I didn't already have a set, I would've purchased yours especially since you had the 8w cable. Is the Singularity the only IEM you have at the moment? What's next on your radar?

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #371 of 445
Neat! How's the experience?

Sorry guys, I’ve been busier than I would’ve liked…

And this is my first time compiling my impressions and writing about an iem, so it is what it is.

I think it’ll be easier to pass on my thoughts by taking the Sony IER-M9 as a base reference, as it is known from most around these parts. Another full BA set that became somewhat of a kilobuck benchmark with good detail retrieval, 3D soundstage, warm tuning and a coloured timbre.

As for the Crimson, it leans more for a U shaped tuning where everything feels very balanced, every part of the spectrum is clean, without congestion. With tip rolling (I’m using spinfit W1 at the moment) what could be perceived as sparkly treble recedes to give way to excellent treble extension.

The timbre is natural but uncoloured like the M9. (I do like the M9 timbre, but it feels like a sonic artefact was added at the end of each note, some sort of artificial timbre, warm on top of warm, if that makes any sense…) With the Crimson, it’s the appropriate timbre, no fuss, no extravagance. More of a clinical sounding iem I’d say.

But for me the essence of this iem - and what sets it apart from the rest of the pack - lies in its unique way of portraying music through the combination of soundstage and imaging. You could say that the M9 has a good 3D soundstage. But this is different. It’s on another level entirely. If the M9 gives you the impression of spatialization. The Crimson is the embodiment of space. Like if music going through the Crimson was disassembled and then reassembled in a multi-layered presentation without any loss of detail. For example, when you listen to a song with supporting vocals in the background, normally they’ll feel further than the main vocal by being on a lower volume, with less details. Not on the Crimson. Instead, the supporting vocals will be on a different plane and with as much details, making for a precise and full portrait of every component of the song. So it’s not only the tuning that is balanced, but the presentation itself which is balanced. For those of you that prefer a more visual explanation, this a short video on Disney multi-plane camera :

The direct consequence of this feature is that it needs to be fed well recorded albums to shine. On poorly recorded tracks it’ll sound bland, common even. In this sense, and unlike the M9, it’s not really what I would call an all-rounder.

So what to expect when listening to the Crimson ? Well, I would describe it as a supremely competent iem in every aspect. Every part of the spectre is efficiently rendered, you won’t find any fault in the bass, midrange or treble. The same can be said about the fit, tuning, and timbre. It really feels like the culmination of all their past effort.
And when I think of all the other iems I own, there was always something wrong, either the fit, the bass lacking, no treble extension, a cramp soundstage, whatever it was, it was always something getting in the way of a simple listening experience. Now, I finally feels like I own an iem that is reliable. That's what makes it an addictive. Just plug and play. In my view and from now on, it’s my new benchmark, the next standard.

Cheers !

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #372 of 445
Well, I'm sticking with the Omni tips. But it's more because they are very comfy and are a bit better for me at mitigating pressure than the Velvets. They do also reduce treble spiciness by just a smidge, but that wasn't a concern for me as a bright tuning lover. I've also been trying the Penon Vocal cable with Crimson, and it is an excellent match(not aesthetically though). This cable doesn't pair well with everything(like the Isabellae for instance), but Crimson has been the best match I've found so far and I might end up just leaving it on...

Attachments

• 20231220_133909.jpg
    20231220_133909.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #373 of 445
Not to keep beating the topic of tip rolling but I must share, I am astonished at the impact it has. The Crimson is the first iem I have paid over 200$ for I dont mind spending more to see what it can do.

I recently picked up Spinfit W1 and Tangzu Tang SanCai.

• Spinfit W1 - best of the spinfit imho. It has better details, but even greater trebble reduction still with bass empasis compared to omni. I am thinking this is due to the increased stem length and insertion depth. Also, it is much easier to get onto the Crimson.

• Tang SanCai - my new favorite because of sound and comfort.Technicalities don't get any better to me.Staging and detail level made me tear up. It rolls off the trebble slightly(to me perfectly) while keeping the mids and bass full/natural. Comfort is no contest here for me, due to the Crimson being a sealed iem I always noticed the pressure in my ears. After flying recently it became extremely noticible due to discomfort. Queue the Tang SanCai, I found this tip because of the unique pattern on the silicon that releaves pressure in the ear canal. I can honestly say that it works very well! With the added bonus of the sound/technicalities that brought emotional joy it was an easy win for me.
I have noticed they have a standard and wide bore version. I believe that I have the standard however I am not sure. Mine came in a white box and don't say wide in the description they can be found here https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C6P9Q12J

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #374 of 445
Thanks for sharing your exploration!

I have to say this is a very personal hobby and tip rolling is another parameter that's highly variable.

My experience with W1 is quite the opposite. Coming from a Spinfit Omni, the W1 sounds more detailed, but lacks bass - actually quite muted.

I'm now settled with AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC. Although they are not the last word in soundstage and comfort, they are balanced enough for the detail and bass.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #375 of 445

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back