Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME...
Jan 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #151 of 371
Still using them here constantly, I've grown even more attached to these things than before. Thanks everyone for checking in. I would buy them at normal price on ebay and even moreso if i had to replace a set.

Still using them off the Colorfly C3 with Sony MH1C tips, so i am not entirely sure how they would react to a different source for me

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #152 of 371
Quote:
The FX40 i was having some fun with, but sometimes the highs would really start to hurt.  The FX40 thread people keep saying to burn them in, and I have been, but I'm not hearing the improvement.  Why should I have to burn in an IEM for 500hrs when the MT-300 sounds great overnight???

Burn in with my S500's has seemed to do wonders. I'm not sure that any amount of burn in would have gotten the fx40's to where I needed them though. I burned them in for approx 150 hours, and I put on some foam tips, but they were still just too bright for me. Which is too bad because apart from that, they were quite amazing for the $20 that I paid for them.

But yeah, I much more prefer the "10 hours of burn in" philosophy of the MT300's.

Quote:
Now onto the M6, my former "all-rounder"...

Ha! Pulling out the big $20 guns, are we! Should be interesting.

Your post has prompted me to throw on my $60 (normally $70) jvc fxd70's. But this time, I am throwing them on my newly aquired fiio e11, and throwing on the eq2 setting (ie more bass). They are sounding pretty darned good... those MT300's might need to be worried lol!

Btw, one thing that I like about the mt300's is that they don't need to be worn over the ears. They are very easy to get in, and get a good fit with, and they are comfortable. Whereas with my fxd70's, I have to wear them with foam tips (to make them a bit less bright and to bring out the bass a bit), and it takes some fiddling to get them in my ears properly, and the foam tips irritate my ears after a while. Also, I have to wear them over the ears in order to get a deep enough insertion and to get them to stay in my ears. So from a usability standpoint, the mt300's win. But more on the SQ comparison in a bit!

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #153 of 371
Quote:
Your post has prompted me to throw on my $60 (normally $70) jvc fxd70's. But this time, I am throwing them on my newly aquired fiio e11, and throwing on the eq2 setting (ie more bass). They are sounding pretty darned good... those MT300's might need to be worried lol!

The fxd70's were sounding so awesome, I figured that the mt300's would be toast. But no. The fxd70's + foam tips + e11 + eq2 and the mt300's sounded similarly awesome. Pretty amazing.

Edit: I will revise the above and state that the fxd70's have a bit more detail/punch - they really benefit from the e11's eq2 setting - and they do therefore sound a bit more awesome than the mt300's. But it is close and was difficult for me to make that determiniation. So no matter how you slice it, the mt300's are amazing. And due to aforementioned usability issues of the fxd70's, I'm sure the mt300's will be finding their way into my ears much more often.

Up next... Goliath in the form of the xba3's lol

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #155 of 371
Quote:
For some lighter reading, we've made it on redflagdeals:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/headphones-tdk-mt300-9-99-xscargo-1280887/

They are going to take over the world lol!

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #156 of 371
Quote:

Hmm... I'm very happy with the way they sound out of my not better sources (SGS2 which sadly does not have the Wolfson chip, and my clip zip, and my laptop). But what you are saying makes me think that possibly a better source is in order! At least I am getting and ele dac for my laptop soon, so we'll see how that does.

Anyway, I'm appreciating your impressions (here and in the S500 thread) 
smile.gif

Thank you.  As I go about my day - commuting, working, reflecting, etc., I tend to think a lot.  I was considering building a Grado "sleeper" with the HA-S500s.  Just keep the drivers in the current jackets, but then have a wooden cup cut for the exterior as a facade, then use some foam "donut" Grado cushions to provide for comfort.  They would be a closed variety, compared to the usual standard, open quality of the Grado.  Yet, when people would put them on, they'd be grunting "yeow!" and stuff like that because the S500 would tar 'n feather their ears with musical goodness.  
wink.gif

The MT300s are nothing less, either.  I do have more detailed impressions to write about and share regarding these TDK "little wonders" - but, just woke up from 4 hours of sleep and it's 1:40 a.m., I'm typing with one eye open and I decided to save off my words by saving the text onto my computer until I have both eyes - and my mind back to detail my experiences with the TDKs so far.  I will state though, that the comments I have for the MT300s are nothing but positive and feel that my write-up will provide a better perspective of the facts that will speak towards the TDKs.

More to follow ... after 5 more hours of sleep and a great cup of coffee.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #157 of 371
vs. Meelectronics M6
Since getting HF5s the M6s have been my "gym" headphones.  By "gym" I mean "sitting in the tray with the gym pass as I stare at both and think about going to the gym.. some day".  Heh.  I have the "Clear" version which satisfies my Secret Service fantasies, but really looks more like hearing aids.

Seriously though, the M6s are superb as sport headphones - great sound, no microphonics, and secure, comfortable fit.  I find the MT-300s to be awkward to fit over-ear, and I'm not sure if that thin cable will stand up to getting wrapped around and snagged on things when (if) I'm active.  The M6 also has a handy 90° plug which makes it easier on the wires when my phone is shoved into a pocket.

For sound quality though, the MT-300 is an overall better IEM.  But it is close.  I've always enjoyed the bass response of the M6 which extends well into the sub, yet has a bit of a mid-bass hump - a bit of a rarity.  However I still think the MT300 has better control of its bass.  Mids are also very clear and maybe even a bit forward.  Going back to the MT300 after time with the M6 mids, vocals in particular, can feel recessed, but they're not.  The biggest difference though comes in the treble where the M6 is easily metallic, maybe even harsh.  The MT300 is comparatively smoother, and more natural.

However, for the gym I'd still be inclined to reach for the M6 over the MT300 just for its better fitment, zero microphonics, and suitable amount of bass to keep me entertained.

Here's a pic since we all love pics:

M6 has a JVC or Sony hybrid tip, MT300 has Monster Supertip foam

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #158 of 371
I've just checked my local Target store, and it appears that they have the Comply T-400 tips in stock.  $9.99.  I'm heading over to get some shortly.  Then, some comments a bit later.  So far, I'm loving the TDK ear buds.  I mean, really enjoying them.  Tasteful sound, good mids, no over-fatiguing highs and some great bass punch.  I realize that sound is subjective in each of us as we all interpret it differently.  However, with these TDK ear buds, the bass texture and detail is better than my $39.99 Skull Candy Titans (I paid $25.00 on sale), way better than my Sennheiser (I forget the model #) ear buds, better than the Sony $20 specials, and far, far better than the JVC Marshmellow buds.  The highest end of ear buds that I've briefly owned were the Klipsch S8 buds, which ran about $80.00.  However, the cord was so fragile and after reading about many horrible experiences with the cable getting damaged, I didn't want to find myself with an $80 pair of ear buds, out of warranty and a trashed cable.  The Klipsh buds were good - quite good, but I don't remember enough of the sonic properties to provide an adequate comparison to these fine TDK buds.

I will state though, the TDK buds are OK just straight out of the Sansa Fuze.  However, they are much, much better when using an amplified source.  I've never connected any of my ear buds to my headphone rig.  I will say, though, that the additional current that a headphone rig can provide over the Sans Fuze is pretty noticeable.  I can't find my iPod Classic 5 / 30GB with the Wolfson DAC at the moment, so I can't try the TDK ear buds with that device. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #159 of 371
Quote:
I mean, really enjoying them.  Tasteful sound, good mids, no over-fatiguing highs and some great bass punch.  I realize that sound is subjective in each of us as we all interpret it differently. 

Well, that quick subjective statement of yours is objectively perfect as far as my subjective opinion is concerned
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #160 of 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously though, the M6s are superb as sport headphones - great sound, no microphonics, and secure, comfortable fit.  I find the MT-300s to be awkward to fit over-ear, and I'm not sure if that thin cable will stand up to getting wrapped around and snagged on things when (if) I'm active.  The M6 also has a handy 90° plug which makes it easier on the wires when my phone is shoved into a pocket.

<snip>

However, for the gym I'd still be inclined to reach for the M6 over the MT300 just for its better fitment, zero microphonics, and suitable amount of bass to keep me entertained.

As usual, great impressions inline79! I would tend to agree that the MT300's would be ackward/fiddly to wear over-ear. Fwiw, I wear them all the time to the gym in the normal (not over-ear) manner, and I don't have any problem at all - they stay in well, and I find the bass works for me. I am surprised actually how well they isolate and how well they sound in the gym environment. And so far, in spite of the cable's appearance, they have withstood whatever abuse I've been throwing at them. So, once you stop staring at your tray and actually get your butt to the gym lol
tongue.gif
  take them both and give them a whirl!

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #161 of 371
for myself here I don't find they work well at all over ears, if anything i tuck in the spot where the cable splits to take up some weight, I'll probably find a clip from something else.
 Only way i can see using them successfully over ears is to grab a couple of the silicone cable guides for that.

I have yarded them out of my ears  pretty harshly 3 times so far and they keep on running. I bet it's because i am extra careful about that it tends to happen more.

This thread has sure kicked it up a notch, but i can see why. I think there has only been maybe one or two days since i got these that they have not been in my ears.
between these MT300's and the T-PEOS H-100 none of my other stuff has had any head time, and if so very sparingly. These are rapidly becoming my headphone ( including fullsized ) of choice.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #163 of 371
Quote:
for myself here I don't find they work well at all over ears, if anything i tuck in the spot where the cable splits to take up some weight, I'll probably find a clip from something else.
 Only way i can see using them successfully over ears is to grab a couple of the silicone cable guides for that.

Ah yes, I forgot about the clip... not only am I using the mh1c mid-sized tips on the mt300's, but I am also using the mh1c's clip - those mh1c's have come in quite handy lol!. The clip it definitely an essential item as far as I am concerned.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #164 of 371
I guess I'm the oddball for finding it perfectly comfortable wearing it over the ears? haha
Our ear canals are all a little different so it is unsurprising, although for me the fit of the unit itself goes along the likes of this:
-worn over the ears, the IEM body and cables becomes more parallel to head/ear plane
-consequently, worn straight down the IEM body sticks out of the ear sort of perpendicular to the head; this gives leverage at the cord to pull the IEMs out of the ears.

The second point is actually one of the problems I have against most IEMs. As much as some are designed for deep-insertion, not everyone is able to insert it fully to the designed depth to get a snug fit unaffected by slight cable tug. I know the hisoundaudio POPO was one of those, and it's just way too easy to tug the IEMs out ever so lightly with the cable.
So it's a little weird but I find my ways
gs1000.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #165 of 371
Just got mine from cgrahams today (Thanks dude 
normal_smile .gif
). They sound pretty damn good so far. Zero burn in and I'm already loving it.
Time to let it cook overnight. 

I haven't have time to experiment with different tips yet but the small is good enough right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back