Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #888 of 975
I'd love them to be affordable but just the custom titanium machining on these would make these cost more then that to make
When Nobody Supports this price than they have to sell it for 1K thats the price any iem should not have more than 1K

@Vocal Lover seems to be a relatively new to IEM's and Head-Fi.

I don't think Storm compares to the SimGot EA1000 you're interested in. There's a significant difference between mass produced IEM's and a TOTL offering that a small start-up have spent years fine-tuning and hand crafting. Whilst you're entitled to your opinion, I will respectfully disagree. The launch release units sold out. And having heard both EA1000 and Storm they are worlds apart. Value is in the eye of the consumer. And the consumers like Storm.

I don't think the price floor will fall like some newly released, hyped cryptocurrency.

*conflict of interest disclosure: I don't own Storm. I would like to own Storm.*

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #889 of 975

I don't think Storm compares to the SimGot EA1000 you're interested in. There's a significant difference between mass produced IEM's and a TOTL offering that a small start-up have spent years fine-tuning and hand crafting. Whilst you're entitled to your opinion, I will respectfully disagree. The launch release units sold out. And having heard both EA1000 and Storm they are worlds apart. Value is in the eye of the consumer. And the consumers like Storm.

I don't think the price floor will fall like some newly released, hyped cryptocurrency.

*conflict of interest disclosure: I don't own Storm. I would like to own Storm.*
It’s easy to point at things from outsider perspective and say “it’s easy, why don’t you do this? Why don’t you do that? Why charge so much? Scam” until one gets inside and do the very thing that they pointed fingers earlier.

Speaking from experience DIYing earbuds. Anyone with a soldering iron and a credit card to buy parts from Aliexpress can follow a recipe and make decent sounding buds for pennies. Coming up with the formula is where it gets expensive. People need to be paid for the time they spent testing to find the formula as well.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #890 of 975
Speaking from experience DIYing earbuds. Anyone with a soldering iron and a credit card to buy parts from Aliexpress can follow a recipe and make decent sounding buds for pennies. Coming up with the formula is where it gets expensive. People need to be paid for the time they spent testing to find the formula as well.
Hell Knowles will sell you a drop in ODM kit that you can tune yourself, pick the design and bring to market. If someone comes up with an original vision that works they deserve to be paid for it. That’s how all the companies that you see around the world started ( e.g. Seiko, Sony, Apple, Hifiman, etc. ). That’s how innovation happens.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #891 of 975
When Nobody Supports this price than they have to sell it for 1K thats the price any iem should not have more than 1K

Then with that same ideology, Cars shouldn't cost more than $20,000. Bugatti, Ferrari, Pagani, Koenigsegg, etc. should price their cars for only 20k or less?
Also Steak shouldn't cost more than $15, Peter Luger's steaks should only be sold for 20 dollars or less?

Audio is priced mainly on the basis of sound performance, material costs, R&D, margin (and other factors). One of the biggest factors is in fact the R&D, just like when we go to certain highly-praised restaurants, We come for the exquisite cuisine, the experience, the quality of service, etc. So essentially, what made the food tastes amazing? is it simply the quality of ingredients? chef skills? spices? recipe? I'd reckon the answer is always "All of the above". But what'd be the thing that takes years and years to develop? Exactly, The Recipe. Audio in this regard is similar, it takes manufacturers such as Subtonic and others years of planning, design, development, trials and errors, prototypes, to finally arrive with this tuning. Not to mention that the materials and components needed to build 1 STORM is more expensive than most IEMs out there? I'm simply trying to paint a picture here since many people are not quite familiar with how things are made in the portable audio world :pray:

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #892 of 975
Hello, the STORM is tuned with its universal shell in mind. We are looking at a CIEM option down the line, but we will only offer it if we are able to reproduce a very similar sound. We do not have an ETA or timeline for it.

Using the same exact internal components in a CIEM shell does not reproduce the same sound due to the lack of eartips and different insertion depth. We have to work around it to best figure out how to approach a CIEM tuning.

Bumping an old question ... with the regular release closer, will we have the option of a Custom down the line? That would be a significant reason for pursuing a regular vs a launch edition.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #893 of 975
I don't own Storm. I would like to own Storm.
According to my arbitrary, totally made up statistics. That is what 99% of Headfi is thinking.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #894 of 975
Bumping an old question ... with the regular release closer, will we have the option of a Custom down the line? That would be a significant reason for pursuing a regular vs a launch edition.
There is no intention to do Storm as CIEM.

Not really unless it's for aesthetics, accessories, the want to own 1 of 50 limited editions.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #895 of 975

The EA1000 is actually my next review coincidentally....

20240413_101153.jpg

And I do prefer Storm much more than the EA1000, which isn't too bad of an IEM actually.

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #897 of 975

Best part about capitalism is that you only need to convince one person something is worth it to make a sale.

:deadhorse:

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Apr 15, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #898 of 975
The EA1000 is actually my next review coincidentally....

And I do prefer Storm much more than the EA1000, which isn't too bad of an IEM actually.
Of course Storm is better but how much better If you say it objective watched Like 10%? But can you compare to Variations too? Also can anybody make a Poweramp EQ Tuning of the Storm many thanks so everyone can try it Out on other iems If this iem is there taste. The EA 1000 is more fun Sounding and the storm more realistic Natural what i have heard hard to compare i believe the Variations or Sennheiser HD 600 will fit better to compare. Also If you Test 2 iems blindfolded will you guess WHO is Storm the more expensive If never Heard before? Most People See expensive and think this IS good because of price but its Made Up in their mind to Sound good because of highly expensive price otherwise its a waste of Money. Thats how Marketing psychology Works.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #899 of 975
Also If you Test 2 iems blindfolded will you guess WHO is Storm the more expensive If never Heard before?
Yes, and if you can’t, it’s a skill issue 😉

If you’re here just to complain about the price and “psychology” and whatnot, can you take it elsewhere? You’re putting a damper on the thread, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back