Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 10, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #871 of 975
I went all out on this one and spent big bucks on this --- $22.50 USD during the last aliexpress sale.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr2TpWm

I can’t believe all the crazy money you cable guys spend. Others buy cars for that amount of money!

I would definitely put it on the warmer side, but I have not tried the Woo Mini. The only Woo I've owned is the WA7 Fireflies.
Because the PB5 has a bass boost (measurable!!), and to me, it sounds more vocal forward and holographic, I put this amp on the more warmer side, but it does not lose treble presence or air either. It does sound more intimate and lush but not overly rounded so I don't feel like I lose any technical performance going to this on the Storm. With already darker or bassier IEMs, I may not prefer the PB5 -- I think it pairs well with neutral/brighter IEMs.

See graph below of the measurable bass response difference with Storm on a normal dac/amp and Storm with the PB5 in the chain (green).

1712721486387.png

On the flip side, I also have the Oriolus BA300S MK2 portable tube amp and it's more neutral sounding than the PB5, as it doesn't have an exaggerated bass boost. People do find it warmer, but in comparison to the PB5, it's less so, although still smooths out a lot of the mids and treble like a warmer tube amp does.

I also tried the Cayin C9 Nutube and reviewed it back when it first released, but I don't own one to compare. From memory, it was definitely more neutral sounding compared to PB5.

Agreed. I think the PB5 can still sound great with bassy IEMs. I love it with the Grand Maestro (vocal switch on, which is lowering sub bass a little). But I don’t like it with the Annihilator, for example. Much too warm for my tastes. With the Mentor, It’s pure gold and I’m sure it will be great with Storm!

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #872 of 975
I would definitely put it on the warmer side, but I have not tried the Woo Mini. The only Woo I've owned is the WA7 Fireflies.
Because the PB5 has a bass boost (measurable!!), and to me, it sounds more vocal forward and holographic, I put this amp on the more warmer side, but it does not lose treble presence or air either. It does sound more intimate and lush but not overly rounded so I don't feel like I lose any technical performance going to this on the Storm. With already darker or bassier IEMs, I may not prefer the PB5 -- I think it pairs well with neutral/brighter IEMs.

See graph below of the measurable bass response difference with Storm on a normal dac/amp and Storm with the PB5 in the chain (green).

1712721486387.png

On the flip side, I also have the Oriolus BA300S MK2 portable tube amp and it's more neutral sounding than the PB5, as it doesn't have an exaggerated bass boost. People do find it warmer, but in comparison to the PB5, it's less so, although still smooths out a lot of the mids and treble like a warmer tube amp does.

I also tried the Cayin C9 Nutube and reviewed it back when it first released, but I don't own one to compare. From memory, it was definitely more neutral sounding compared to PB5.
thanks thats very helpful, the pb5 really doesnt seem to make the rounds in the circles i frequent but i was always curious about it especially as i wanted to add a tuby warm portable to pair with my hiby fc6 for a non dap potent portable chain

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #874 of 975
I can’t believe all the crazy money you cable guys spend. Others buy cars for that amount of money!

Agreed. I think the PB5 can still sound great with bassy IEMs. I love it with the Grand Maestro (vocal switch on, which is lowering sub bass a little). But I don’t like it with the Annihilator, for example. Much too warm for my tastes. With the Mentor, It’s pure gold and I’m sure it will be great with Storm!
What about the significant drop at 8k? It does not appear on the website's graph.

Apr 11, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #876 of 975
nvm it seems its bal input only which is ****ing ridiculous
Between sources it is usually fine to go from SE to BAL.

Just don't do it from the headphone output.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #879 of 975
To be fair buying a $5k IEM blind was a massive ask. And if the estimated ETA of Q3 is correct I wouldn’t mind buying at the Canjam in SG next year.
Very true. I also didn't expect that I would be considering buying an IEM that cost 5k. My usual cut off is 2k.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #880 of 975
I got my first set of IEMs a month ago and I got the Crimsons. Love the sound and I’m trying to wrap my head around how much better something like the Storm or Annihilator can be.

I’m definitely going to pick up the regular editions when they drop but man I wish I could try them now. Trying to figure out the best mobile DAC. I love the Bluetooth functionality of my Qudelix 5K and that it’s not big even if I’m hard wired in. I know I lose quality with Bluetooth but I’m active and being plugged in isn’t always possible with my lifestyle. If I’m Bluetooth, how much does a powerful DAC provide and do I lose all the super powers that the Storm would provide or will it still be an epic experience?

While you wait for the regular edition I'd say do some source upgrading.

The Crimson and STORM have both share FLAT technology which means they are relatively low impedance and low sensitivity, which consequently means they both scale with better sources. You'll be surprised how much better your Crimsons can sound with the right input!

As mentioned by @antdroid the Go Pods are one of our go-to solutions for wireless but otherwise I do feel wired sources usually sound better if you can afford the extra inconvenience.

Last edited:
Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Apr 12, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #881 of 975
What do you mean?
Sorry. I mean the FR in your quote.

1712903002391.png

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #885 of 975
Hah. That'll be nice. I'll take 5 to go. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back