Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #916 of 988
It's kind of like people being offended that sports cars... exist.

I mean, I agree that price tags are getting out of hand, but these are also luxury goods and people don't have to buy them. I would be perfectly happy with a Dusk DSP or a Megafest, or a u6t. Is it the same experience? No. And that's okay.
It appears you have reached enlightenment. I for one cannot understand what is the fascination with Moondrops. They sound mediocre and sometimes outright awful, built like a toy from a cereal box, this statement coming from personal experience. I also understand one needs an audience. The pyramid is always larger at the bottom. And that’s okay.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #917 of 988
It appears you have reached enlightenment. I for one cannot understand what is the fascination with Moondrops. They sound mediocre and sometimes outright awful, built like a toy from a cereal box, this statement coming from personal experience. I also understand one needs an audience. The pyramid is always larger at the bottom. And that’s okay.
Well the dusk default DSP is essentially baby storm. They measure very similarly. This is also close to what we've been recommending for IEM tunings because it's a very good fit with the population average ear anatomy

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 23, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #918 of 988
Thanks mate. As a hobbyist, I seem to have dropped out of the "you can EQ an IEM into anything phase." The tuning is just one part of the whole experience. The storm was never going to be for everyone. If it can't bring out the emotion of the music, all one thinks is what does the graph measure? It's definitely not for you, especially considering the price.

Yes. Sound and colours are physics. The science part is not why I listen to music or admire a painting. Else we'll all be admiring frequency tones and pantone charts. It's like walking into an art gallery, measuring the canvas size, how many colours were used, and the overall colour tone. Then use those as the metric to compare everything.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #920 of 988
However now you’re making an analogy to music itself that you listen to, not the gear that is reproducing it
Yes, although I do suppose for some the gear is the art, and so that's part of it. And I suppose it's reasonable to evaluate it in that same fashion. Although I've always found the richest experiences to be from the most well-balanced gear.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 23, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #921 of 988
Well the dusk default DSP is essentially baby storm. They measure very similarly. This is also close to what we've been recommending for IEM tunings because it's a very good fit with the population average ear anatomy
They might measure similarly but they don’t sound anywhere close in terms of presentation.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #924 of 988
However now you’re making an analogy to music itself that you listen to, not the gear that is reproducing it
Do you mean like measuring brush bristle length and bendiness, then graphing it? Now that would be an exciting untapped YouTube niche.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #925 of 988
Do you mean like measuring brush bristle length and bendiness, then graphing it? Now that would be an exciting untapped YouTube niche.
I mean that’d be analogy to physical instruments that produce music as brush produces painting. If we talk about reproducing it, without its original physical form, more correct would be a screen showing said painting or even better a video. There’s tech to be compared and generally more expensive offers advancements

I stand on your side though. Judging performance based on tuning brings rather stupid results and unrealistic opinions

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #926 of 988
I mean that’d be analogy to physical instruments that produce music as brush produces painting. If we talk about reproducing it, without its original physical form, more correct would be a screen showing said painting or even better a video. There’s tech to be compared and generally more expensive offers advancements

I stand on your side though. Judging performance based on tuning brings rather stupid results and unrealistic opinions
Ah. Had to reread that. Sorry about that.

I took a pretty long break and came back to discover chifi is all the rage. Watched a bunch of videos and they were raving about how amazing the tuning is, and how technical it can get for $50. I ordered a bunch of them and goodness me. What a waste of money. Sure you can tune it to fit a curve. That doesn't mean it's equal to the mid and top of line stuff. At least as much as Versace below "looks" 18. I understand as a content maker, catering to the bottom of the pyramid is prudent since it's where the masses are. But baby storm? I guess with the introduction of baby storm, any IEM over $300 will not sell now.

donatella-versace.jpg

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #929 of 988
I sense a storm is brewing in the storm thread. Hah. Dad joke.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #930 of 988
Hey folks, I have been staying on the sidelines for quite a while now. Having heard @LoneFurrow 's Storm on my recently re-acquired desktop setup, I am really interested in finally buying a Storm.

This was only reinforced by getting the chance to properly experience what Storm sounds like with my current DAP of choice in the N30LE at the recent WC meet in Amsterdam- many thanks @slumberman

Let me know if you would consider parting with yours. Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back