Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
Oct 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #77 of 783
Quote:
Do you have a IEM favored over these?

Good question! Tricky to answer. There were IEMs at the show that impressed me more by what they had achieved in overcoming the shortfalls of IEMs in general (and once I've been seriously impressed by something it is hard to appreciate much else). However, those IEMs sound completely different to the SR-002s and wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea by any stretch of the imagination.  I really need to sit down with the 002 rig for a couple of weeks and do some serious listening, as I felt the electronics sounded like they needed some use as the sound was a touch aggressive.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #79 of 783
Wasn't too difficult to find: http://www.stax.co.jp/Pdf/Export/NEWS_E_SRS002_121015.pdf

【SPECIFICATION 】Electrostatic in-the-earspeaker SR-002 ・ Type: push pull electrostatic, canal-type in-the-earspeaker
・ Frequency response : 20 - 20 kHz (±4dB)
・ Static capacity : 44pF (including attached code)
・ Sound pressure sensitivity : 110dB/100V r.m.s. / 1kHz
・ Standard bias voltage : 550-580V
・ Ear piece : L/M/S size made of silicone rubber (M size equipped at factory
shipment)
・ Cord : exclusive for STAX PRO portable, 6-core parallel,
total length 1.45m
・ Weight : 28g (including code), 12g (main part only) ・ Dimension: 28mm (diameter)
・ Overhead arc weight : 15g

【SPECIFICATION】 Driver unit for in-the-earspeaker SRM-002 ・Frequency response: 20 to 20 kHz
・Gain: 54B
・Distortion: less than 0.1% (1kHz, 100V).
・Input impedance : 10kΩ
・Rated input voltage: 100mV / 50V output
・Maximum output voltage: 230Vr.m.s
・Operation environment: 0°C- 35°C (non condensing)
・Weight: 102g (without battery)
・Dimension: (W) 66.5mm x (D) 110mm (116mm; knob included) x (H) 27.5mm
・Power consumption: 0.75W (when using alkaline battery),
1.2W (when using AC adapter)
・Usable battery: size AA battery x2 (alkaline battery, nickel hydrogen chargea-
ble battery, manganese dry cell, etc.)
・Standard continuous operating time of battery: 5 hours or more (when using
alkaline battery at ECO mode operation), more than 4 hours (when using alkaline battery at NORMAL mode operation)

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #81 of 783
Quote:
Had a listen to the new portable Stax yesterday using my DX100 as a source. Roughly speaking, it sounds like a pair of 009s in an IEM whereas the older portable gave me the impression of a pair of 007s in an IEM. Soundstage was narrow and "in-your-head". Percussion, more like from what one gets from dynamic IEMs sounded quite flat. I had trouble getting them to stay in my ears without the headband.

Being that there are a couple of new and very very good IEMs coming out soon, so I'm starting to feel more that you have to specifically want the Stax and its presentation and lack of isolation if considering them over other IEMs, as a number of models have managed to overcome some of the major issues IEMs have.

I have had the 002 portable and the 003's for many yeras and they don't sound much like my OO7A's.  So I assume you must  be referring to the 007Mk1.  Based on  a few listens to the Mk1 I could possibly see a resemblance there.

Three other points :

Isolation.  I would not describe them as totally lacking in isolation.  I use my 002's at the beach and generally find they are not impacted by low to moderate surf.  On an airplane however I would have to turn the volume up too much for comfort.  I generally travel with a old Senheisser IEM for that specific use.

Comfort:  I find no problem with the metal headband-  just bend it to the position that holds the phones in the ear without undue pressure on the ear. 

External Power:  The portable amp gains something in dynamics and bass if it is run using an external power supply. I see that the new model retains the external power supply.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #86 of 783
Quote:
Why does the portable plug in for the HP look different from the home amp?

Because it is different. They are not compatible. If you want the portable set up, then the headphones will have a jack for the portable amp. If you buy the home set up, then the headphones will have a standard Pro connector to work with any Stax Pro amp. If you want to listen both portable and on a home amp, then you have to buy two pairs of headphones for the different connectors.

Not the greatest solution, unless you're trying to sell more headphones...

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #88 of 783
Quote:
I think it's a matter of just not having room on the smaller amp for a standard Stax jack. 

But why not some kind of adapter? I assume the connectors are passing the same signals/power through, right? If they really aren't trying to get people to buy two sets, they would have an adapter instead. Who knows, maybe they will make one. (Sounds like a good side business to build adapters.)

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #90 of 783
Quote:
An adapter is more bulky and cumbersome for portable use, which the smaller model is ostensibly for.

Right. So you have the 002 as is with the smaller connector for portable use. Then you make a 002 to 5-pin pro adapter for home use. Problem solved. The "bulky" adapter is only used at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back