Stax 007 with the ES-1
Aug 12, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #61 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uuhh, sounds fine-tingly-dingly
biggrin.gif

How was the bass?

I thought the bass had terrific attack (think the thwack of an acoustic bass). On the other hand, I wouldn't characterize the Omega II's bass as being as visceral as others I have heard. Still, very satisfying.

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #62 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With your budget I would seriously consider auditioning a top tier K1000 setup as well. They are in my opinion second only to the Sennheiser HE90.

Good advice, especially considering some Head-Fiers (Hi, Foo_Me) have left their HE90/ES-1 for a heavy-duty K1000 setup.

I would personally throw one more wrinkle to the picture by theorizing that an HE60 with a great tube electrostat amp *can* hang with above company. In fact, IMO a well-thought-out HE60 setup will sound more similar to K1000 flavor than HE90 would
smily_headphones1.gif

Good thing I have a modded HE60 coming to me. Somebody sell me a good tube amp, would you?

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #63 of 101
Well again, I point out that bass seems to be important to the OP and K1000 even with Magic Jesus amp will not really rank tops in the bass department.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that you think an HE60 will sound similar to a K1000 given that the HE60 compared to the HE90 has a significantly smaller sound stage and more impactful bass both areas which are the opposite of what the K1000 sound has to offer esp. versus the HE90.

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #64 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a bit surprised to hear that you think an HE60 will sound similar to a K1000

Not "similar." I said "more similar" to K1000. My impression is that HE90's bass has more volume in the lower bass than HE60, which fights back with a punchier, peppier, "funner" upper-bass. This is also the kind of bass I get from my K1000's when powered by "proper" amps: not the deepest rumbling bass but fantastic definition and impact above that.

Because of this, HE90 sounds subjectively warmer than HE60 or K1000, grander, gradiose even, and more majestic. HE90 is not any "slower" than HE60, of course, but HE60 does subjectively sound relatively faster in bass and more treble/mid-centric. Due to the eh, smaller more "intimate" soundstage, HE60 can be loved more by those who don't mind Grado's. I've just described my "sound," so it's HE60.

Not that I would ever, evar pay for HE90 (+suitable amp) since I truly don't believe in spending this kind of money for audio, so perhaps I'm just rationalizing my HE60 purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #65 of 101
Hrm I guess I can understand that point of view. Either way both headphones are a veryyy different beast though ;p Don't need to rationalize the HE60 purchase I don't think anyone can disagree that it is a better bang for your buck than an HE90 ;p

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #66 of 101
Here is the ES-1 configuration I "settled" upon (I went with it if bold):

1.) ES-1 Electrostatic Amplifier - Without this option the sound is kind of thin
wink.gif

2.) Maestro Type Case Custom Build (2 cases) CNC Milled by Lockheed - I actually prefer the simpler standard ES-1 casework
3.) Power Transformers Plitron Custom Toroidal (Large) - You can never have enough power so going with the large Plitrons was a no brainer
4.) Cardas Silver Solder surcharge - Optimizing for the OII so I felt that silver in the signal path was a good thing; In retrospect was probably not needed as the power was more important

5.) Cardas GFRAL S/E RCA Inputs/ 2 Each - The stock RCA's seemed more than adequate
6.) Cardas Audio Wiring - Cardas wiring has always impressed me with its lack of sonic signature, YMMV.
7.) Jensen paper in oil coupling capacitors - Went with Audio Notes
8.) Audio Note Silver Foil in oil coupling capacitors - I want my headphone amp as clear and resolving as possible so the Audio Notes were chosen; I do not know if this would make much difference over Vcaps
9.) Vcap coupling capacitors - Went with Audio Notes
10.) 4 Channel GoldPoint Attenuator - Volume controls can be the weak point in a headphone amp so money spent here is IMO wise. This is still a cheaper option compared to the custom SP attenuators
11.) Audio Output Capacitors Large - This is a dynamic circuit upgrade so did not seem relevant
12.) Solen Plate Voltage Input Capacitor - I wanted good quality here since I quickly became aware of the price of good tubes
13.) High Frequency Bypass Capacitors - No one could adequately explain the advantage of these so I passed
14.) Black Gate Power Capacitors Stage I - Black Gates in the PS are always a good thing
15.) Black Gate Power Capacitors Stage 2 - In retrospect I probably should have sprung for the larger Black Gates
16.) Black Gate Cathode Capacitors - Didn't see the need for these when going with the next option
17.) Black Gate Cathode bypass capacitors ES - I do not like "sluggish" tube amps so this seemed like a reasonable upgrade
18.) Solid Silver Audio circuit upgrade (thick 99.99%) - I passed on this and always slightly wonder if I should have sprung for it, I find it hard to believe it would have made a massive difference
19.) Dual Umbilical cord upgrade for maximum separation - Together 19 and 20 maximize channel separation, which in my experience allows you to hear the best soundstage width and depth your cans/speakers are capable of
20.) Quad Regulators for maximum separation - Together 19 and 20 maximize channel separation, which in my experience allows you to hear the best soundstage width and depth your cans/speakers are capable of

21.) Quad Regulator Audio Note voltage reference filter capacitors - Since these are not truly in the signal path this seemed like a bit of overkill
22.) Quad Regulator V-Cap voltage reference filter capacitors - Since these are not truly in the signal path this seemed like a bit of overkill
23.) Add additional jack for Senn HE-60 - I couldn't leave my HE-60's out in the cold
24.) 3 selectable inputs (2 XLR, 1 RCA), 1 loop out (RCA), 2 preamp outputs (XLR) - I wanted to be able to use this with multiple sources and without an additional preamp
25.) Digital volume control with remote - I wanted to be able to use this as a preamp in a speaker system; The digital volume control has a totally seperate power supply, is totally separate from the attenuators and can be completely turned off; Allows remote volume control and muting, but not source slection; This is actually a future-proofing as I currently use a TACT amp for my speakers with digital inputs and volume control.

Tubes:
Output: 3D21W + adapters (OII, OI, HE-60)
Center: 6BL7GT (OII, OI), 6SN7W (HE-60)
Driver: 12AZ7 + adapters (OII, OI), 6SN7W (HE-60), 2C51 + adapters (HE-60)

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #67 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the ES-1 configuration I "settled" upon (I went with it if bold):

1.) ES-1 Electrostatic Amplifier - Without this option the sound is kind of thin
wink.gif

2.) Maestro Type Case Custom Build (2 cases) CNC Milled by Lockheed - I actually prefer the simpler standard ES-1 casework
3.) Power Transformers Plitron Custom Toroidal (Large) - You can never have enough power so going with the large Plitrons was a no brainer
4.) Cardas Silver Solder surcharge - Optimizing for the OII so I felt that silver in the signal path was a good thing; In retrospect was probably not needed as the power was more important

5.) Cardas GFRAL S/E RCA Inputs/ 2 Each - The stock RCA's seemed more than adequate
6.) Cardas Audio Wiring - Cardas wiring has always impressed me with its lack of sonic signature, YMMV.
7.) Jensen paper in oil coupling capacitors - Went with Audio Notes
8.) Audio Note Silver Foil in oil coupling capacitors - I want my headphone amp as clear and resolving as possible so the Audio Notes were chosen; I do not know if this would make much difference over Vcaps
9.) Vcap coupling capacitors - Went with Audio Notes
10.) 4 Channel GoldPoint Attenuator - Volume controls can be the weak point in a headphone amp so money spent here is IMO wise. This is still a cheaper option compared to the custom SP attenuators
11.) Audio Output Capacitors Large - This is a dynamic circuit upgrade so did not seem relevant
12.) Solen Plate Voltage Input Capacitor - I wanted good quality here since I quickly became aware of the price of good tubes
13.) High Frequency Bypass Capacitors - No one could adequately explain the advantage of these so I passed
14.) Black Gate Power Capacitors Stage I - Black Gates in the PS are always a good thing
15.) Black Gate Power Capacitors Stage 2 - In retrospect I probably should have sprung for the larger Black Gates
16.) Black Gate Cathode Capacitors - Didn't see the need for these when going with the next option
17.) Black Gate Cathode bypass capacitors ES - I do not like "sluggish" tube amps so this seemed like a reasonable upgrade
18.) Solid Silver Audio circuit upgrade (thick 99.99%) - I passed on this and always slightly wonder if I should have sprung for it, I find it hard to believe it would have made a massive difference
19.) Dual Umbilical cord upgrade for maximum separation - Together 19 and 20 maximize channel separation, which in my experience allows you to hear the best soundstage width and depth your cans/speakers are capable of
20.) Quad Regulators for maximum separation - Together 19 and 20 maximize channel separation, which in my experience allows you to hear the best soundstage width and depth your cans/speakers are capable of

21.) Quad Regulator Audio Note voltage reference filter capacitors - Since these are not truly in the signal path this seemed like a bit of overkill
22.) Quad Regulator V-Cap voltage reference filter capacitors - Since these are not truly in the signal path this seemed like a bit of overkill
23.) Add additional jack for Senn HE-60 - I couldn't leave my HE-60's out in the cold
24.) 3 selectable inputs (2 XLR, 1 RCA), 1 loop out (RCA), 2 preamp outputs (XLR) - I wanted to be able to use this with multiple sources and without an additional preamp
25.) Digital volume control with remote - I wanted to be able to use this as a preamp in a speaker system; The digital volume control has a totally seperate power supply, is totally separate from the attenuators and can be completely turned off; Allows remote volume control and muting, but not source slection; This is actually a future-proofing as I currently use a TACT amp for my speakers with digital inputs and volume control.

Tubes:
Output: 3D21W + adapters (OII, OI, HE-60)
Center: 6BL7GT (OII, OI), 6SN7W (HE-60)
Driver: 12AZ7 + adapters (OII, OI), 6SN7W (HE-60), 2C51 + adapters (HE-60)

Awesome specifications. Knowing SP sound...your ES-1 must sound darn trasparent. Have you compared your ES-1 to Blue Hawaii? How about Blue Hawaii vs. KGSS?

Thanks.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #68 of 101
Count me as another who liked the K-1000 bass better than the HE-90. Properly amped and sourced, the K-1000 can have an adequate amount of bass only suffering from not having the full bass impact or fun factor. But the definition and accuracy of the K-1000 bass is one of the many high lites.
k1000smile.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #69 of 101
Yeah but its never gonna have good bass extension.

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #70 of 101
Quote:

It can do relatively deep bass but not a whole lot of it, then things get confused. I have this nagging suspicion that the engineers responsible tested one version with highly stretched diaphragm and another with a looser stretch and picked the former because it could reach all the way up to 100kHz (@ -10db). Stax went the other way with all of their designs.

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #71 of 101
The K1000? ;p

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #72 of 101
Quote:

It's also not going to cost $9K and sacrifice quality for those lowest few hertz
tongue.gif
k1000smile.gif
Just havin fun - I'm an HE-90 fan but do prefer the K-1000 bass quality and price.

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #74 of 101
Nobody's going to mistake K1000 bass for L3000 bass, but what's there is very good. Similarly, the treble extension on the L3000 is also very good, but nobody is going to mistake L3000 treble extension for K1000 treble extension either.

I guess my point is that no one headphone is perfect, but a top-tier headphone should be at least very good in all areas. There are certainly deficiencies compared to other headphones, but those deficiencies are and should not be glaring if you build a system that is worthy of them.

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #75 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also not going to cost $9K and sacrifice quality for those lowest few hertz
tongue.gif
k1000smile.gif
Just havin fun - I'm an HE-90 fan but do prefer the K-1000 bass quality and price.

No headphone is worth that kind of money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back