SR60-Mod
Feb 7, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #1,276 of 5,004
I'm not trying to speak for Bill, as he is the de-facto expert on Grado-woodying, but I currently have my SR60's on, listening to International Superhits by Greenday. My pair have the basic rear ring done in oak, leaving the front ring on the driver to remain plastic. I wouldn't say they amplify the bass so much as they improve it. I feel the bass has a little bit more crispness to it, possibly because the oak has a fairly high acoustic velocity. The hole-punch mod brings out the quantity of bass, but the wood rings define it. They also feel to make the sound more "musical", and I wish I had a better way to describe that quality. I noticed it the most on the live acoustic track of "Broken" by Seether. Being a (very) amature guitar player, the sound that the headphones reproduced felt very much like I was playing or hearing a real acoustic guitar. The wood shells seem to give a more satisfactory resonance to the sound (after all, they don't usually make acoustic guitars out of plastic, do they?) I'm having a hard time putting it into words but the guitar notes "ring" better. Not longer but in a more appealing way. Perhaps it has something to do with the harmonics of the wood? I have no clue, but unlike the plastic ones, individual pickstrokes seem to reverberate down my spine like they would if I was actually playing. I can only imagine how the 2 stage wood sounds, and I think my new goal in life is to one day get an SR325 and do the front chamber in wood.

I hope this helps instead of making things more confusing.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #1,277 of 5,004
Well well well.  These things are a heck of alot tougher to cut out then i thought.  They turned out to be be fat thing little things.  But thats ok.  More wood gives me more room to work with.  Sorry about the lack of updates, its has been a busy busy week for me.  I'll post more details later.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #1,278 of 5,004
Nice work with those! I like how well you matched the grain.

How thick are the walls on those, they look huge. Mine barely fit in the stock gimbals with only a 1/4" of wall thickness (2.5" OD). Did you liberate your driver?

Liberating the driver is one of two things I am scared to do. The other is to recable my SR-60's, which I am leery to do after reading how easy it is to toast the driver. Although I did find some nice sleeved, 4 wired 22awg copper wire at home. I got it from one of my various work or school projects in the past few years. Looks like I have about 30' of it and it would be perfect to use. I think my KSC-75's might get done first as practice.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,280 of 5,004
Can we call that the "Stormtrooper" mod?
biggrin.gif

BTW, great work all around in this thread!

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #1,281 of 5,004
They are huge.... and I mean HUUUGE.  Its one of the issues were working on

Quote:
Nice work with those! I like how well you matched the grain.

How thick are the walls on those, they look huge. Mine barely fit in the stock gimbals with only a 1/4" of wall thickness (2.5" OD). Did you liberate your driver?

Liberating the driver is one of two things I am scared to do. The other is to recable my SR-60's, which I am leery to do after reading how easy it is to toast the driver. Although I did find some nice sleeved, 4 wired 22awg copper wire at home. I got it from one of my various work or school projects in the past few years. Looks like I have about 30' of it and it would be perfect to use. I think my KSC-75's might get done first as practice.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #1,283 of 5,004
those look great, did you just paint it?

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #1,284 of 5,004

LIGNUM VITAE

I don't know when I'm going to get around to cutting this (It's four times harder than cocobolo and five-and-a-half times harder than mahogany) but here it is.  I'm way behind in my projects but when all is said and done, I hope to find a way to see if this could be useful in a headphone shell.  Because it's the hardest wood on Earth, I'm hoping it will be a wood alternative to aluminum for a secondary shell. 

Ironwood was used, in more ancient times, where wood needed to be as hard as metal, such as on the old sailing ships.  I don't know what it'll be like as a tonewood but I'm rather eager to find out, once I have the time to do so.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,285 of 5,004
DOOO EEEEET!!!

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,287 of 5,004

LIGNUM VITAE

I don't know when I'm going to get around to cutting this (It's four times harder than cocobolo and five-and-a-half times harder than mahogany) but here it is.  I'm way behind in my projects but when all is said and done, I hope to find a way to see if this could be useful in a headphone shell.  Because it's the hardest wood on Earth, I'm hoping it will be a wood alternative to aluminum for a secondary shell. 

Ironwood was used, in more ancient times, where wood needed to be as hard as metal, such as on the old sailing ships.  I don't know what it'll be like as a tonewood but I'm rather eager to find out, once I have the time to do so.

Actually in ships it was more commonly used in motor/steam ships then in sailing ships. Because of it's hardness it was selected as a bearing surface for rotating propellor shafts before white metal surfaces were developed. Very hard stuff indeed! Water was the lubricant of the time.

For fun be sure to drop a piece in a bucket of water, as it's more dense than water it will sink.... Neat! Also another good reason it was not a good choice for ships hulls etc...

A very interesting choice of wood to work, should be interesting.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #1,288 of 5,004
Anyone here have a Beyer DT pad on their band? Considering it and looking for some inspiration in the form of pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back