SR60-Mod
May 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #3,676 of 5,004

Quote:
Waiting for some of Bila's Coco  inners to replace the plastic housing of the driver. He was in the process of making them when he had his leg injury interfere. Haven't heard from him since. Hope he is fine.

Correct.  Interesting - in regards to your choice of opting for the wooden liners.  I'm also waiting on wooden liners for my SR325i Grados.  I'm interested in seeing what changes will be applied to the bass with such an update.  The last I heard (via PM from Bilavideo), he had my liners done about 3 weeks ago.  I told him that he could send them via a slow boat, if needed, as Grado was replacing my drivers.  Now, I have the headphones back and the liners are still with Bill.  I'm usually quite a patient person at work and when buying cars.  However, when it comes to audio - I prefer that instant gratification factor.  I guess that's something I need to work on.

Then again, if things work out for this next job interview that I'm going to have on Wednesday, I should just treat myself to a pair of Audeze headphones and see what all the fuss is about. 
wink.gif

May 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #3,677 of 5,004
Correct.  Interesting - in regards to your choice of opting for the wooden liners.  I'm also waiting on wooden liners for my SR325i Grados.  I'm interested in seeing what changes will be applied to the bass with such an update.  The last I heard (via PM from Bilavideo), he had my liners done about 3 weeks ago.  I told him that he could send them via a slow boat, if needed, as Grado was replacing my drivers.  Now, I have the headphones back and the liners are still with Bill.  I'm usually quite a patient person at work and when buying cars.  However, when it comes to audio - I prefer that instant gratification factor.  I guess that's something I need to work on.

Then again, if things work out for this next job interview that I'm going to have on Wednesday, I should just treat myself to a pair of Audeze headphones and see what all the fuss is about. 
wink.gif

I would have to hit the lottery to get a pair of lcd2's. My wife doesn't know much about headphones but she saw me looking at them and gawked at the price. Unless I can come up with the greatest lie ever, I won't be able to get them.

Maybe I can still get the cheaper model with the lower end drivers:wink:

May 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #3,679 of 5,004

Quote:
I also tore apart a set of bose OE headphones. Inside those bose cups is an identical driver to the grado driver. The only difference was the plate on the back that everyone puts dynamat on had 4 holds instead of two. It had the same material that we punch holes in, same height, width, diameter as the grado drivers. I never had a chance to put it in a grado housing to test. I do have another set but they now belong to my daughter. If I could replace hers with something else, I might be able to take them apart and test. I forget the process of taking them apart at the moment. Ill look at them at lunchtime and see.
The only difference between the hf2 driver and the rs1 driver was the hf2 has one hole punched into them. I replicated it on the rs1 driver. While it did sound close, it didnt ever sound exactly the same as the hf2 driver. Maybe that mesh on the back of the driver has more layers/thickness to it, i dont know.

Wow my findings exactly. I had to repair the cable on my OE and thought these looked like Twins. I can tell you this, the housing on the OE is smaller but the bass is there, with no felt mod. Now take into consideration the OE has a pleather ear pad that keeps sound out but the bas is great. I use the OE as my portable Phones as it keeps the unwanted sound out and out and the great sound in.

May 7, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #3,680 of 5,004

Those look great!

Quote:
Here's my Jaben Alu Mod version. Red color was removed with caustic soda, then I polished the aluminium. Used my drill with a polishing brush and some paste.

May 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #3,681 of 5,004
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/119314/post-your-grado-mods/870#post_5990480
This post clears up a bit the discussion about SR line using same drivers. If this is true then there should be some differences between woodied sr-60 and similarly modded sr-225, although it's still just a theory.

May 7, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3,682 of 5,004

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/119314/post-your-grado-mods/870#post_5990480
This post clears up a bit the discussion about SR line using same drivers. If this is true then there should be some differences between woodied sr-60 and similarly modded sr-225, although it's still just a theory.

Thanks for the link.  It all seems reasonable.  However, I think I was doing fine until I read where the SR125, 225 and 325 all used the same magnet structure.  I though earlier up in this thread, there was a link to a site (in Japanese, I believe) where the SR60 was compare to the drivers in the SR325 - and, both had the same markings on the magnet.  Though that site posts information about markings and suspicions about the drivers being the same, it doesn't dive into the potential theory of the different mylars being used for the drivers as well as the burn-in process and then the testing by machine to sort the drivers accordingly.

It's still a lot to take in.  I'm still of the belief that there is some driver variation and the only changes between headphone to headphone in the SR series is more than just cosmetics and re-workings of the plastic and aluminum housings.

May 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #3,683 of 5,004

Quote:
Good luck wje!

Thanks.  Actually, the interview is for a role that I consulted in for over a 2.5 year period.  So, needless to say, I do have the experience being sought - as well as the business process knowledge for most if not all of the departments I'd represent.  While I currently work for a large defense contractor, I feel as though I'm currently underemployed and certainly underpaid for all of the years of experience (22) that I have in this profession.  If the position works out, there's a nice amount of money involved.  However, more importantly, there are some really decent challenges that I'd get tasked with and my commute would be cut in half from where it currently is.

Finally, I don't think I could get myself to jump to the Audeze.  I'm a very humble person.  If they were to sound good and give me joy - that would be one thing.  However, I wouldn't put the information in my signature here as a status symbol.  In fact, I'm probably more happier modifying Grados for all the unique variations that they can morph into.  That challenge alone is more interesting than buying a "completed" headphone that does most things right - and leaves little room for modification.

May 7, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #3,685 of 5,004
Hey,

Just a note on a Flats to Bowl Mod that may have not been mentioned .

I decided to remove all the foam that could be filtering out the sound,so the holes on both sides of the pads are equal.So Having Cut a Large hole in the Flat Ear Pads that came with my SR80'i's ,they became uncomfortable as part of my ear was touching the headphone grill .

I was initially thinking of buying some Bowls, but they are not cheap .

Instead I modded them so they now have a Cone /bowl like shape . This has given the Ear Pads more Height thus my ears rest comfortably on the pads .

Using a needle and thread stitch centrally all the way around the outer edge of the ear pad .Keep the stitches loose approx 1.5 cm apart . Then take the 2 loose ends and pull up the slack until the pads have taken the required bowl shape .Tie  the ends off and cut away any loose thread .

May 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #3,687 of 5,004

Quote:
Just a question people!!

Once you've unglued the headphones do they go back together without having to re-glue ?.

mine did, I actually had a hard time to open the cups the second time... they were the same plastics cups tho, i just did it to remove the grill and punch some holes.

if yours fits too loose, just put some electrical take around the inners, so the outter shells can fit tigher

May 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #3,688 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey,

Just a note on a Flats to Bowl Mod that may have not been mentioned .

I decided to remove all the foam that could be filtering out the sound,so the holes on both sides of the pads are equal.So Having Cut a Large hole in the Flat Ear Pads that came with my SR80'i's ,they became uncomfortable as part of my ear was touching the headphone grill .

I was initially thinking of buying some Bowls, but they are not cheap .

Instead I modded them so they now have a Cone /bowl like shape . This has given the Ear Pads more Height thus my ears rest comfortably on the pads .

Using a needle and thread stitch centrally all the way around the outer edge of the ear pad .Keep the stitches loose approx 1.5 cm apart . Then take the 2 loose ends and pull up the slack until the pads have taken the required bowl shape .Tie  the ends off and cut away any loose thread .

Nice tip !  It just proves that there are dozens of variations out there that can be utilized to provide us listeners with more comfort on the Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back