SR60-Mod
May 6, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #3,661 of 5,004

Ive mentioned this before. I put my rs1 drivers in my hf2 shells and didnt get the same amount of thump that the hf2 driver in the hf2 shell could produce. And the same with putting the hf2 driver in the rs1 shell. The hf2 driver is different in someway.

Quote:
OK, so there's proof (driver stampings, etc.) that Grado apparently utilizes the same drivers for their SR series of headphones.  However, my SR325i headphones have quite a distinct difference in sound to them.  The highs are more tamed and there's a better lower end.  With that being said, I'm assuming all this can be attributed to the aluminum cups that the SR325i utilizes?

May 6, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3,662 of 5,004
*Ahem*

Quote:
The jaben jumbos are different from grado jumbo's.. I think the general consensus is that they are shaped like jumbos but sound more like bowls. A lot of people like them. Also, you can deanodize the red with some oven cleaner, if you aren't scared of doing things like that. I forgot who did that, but they turned out fantastic imo

May 6, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #3,663 of 5,004
The highs are more tamed on a (stock) 325i than other SR series? That's the first time I've heard that description o.O

Quote:
OK, so there's proof (driver stampings, etc.) that Grado apparently utilizes the same drivers for their SR series of headphones.  However, my SR325i headphones have quite a distinct difference in sound to them.  The highs are more tamed and there's a better lower end.  With that being said, I'm assuming all this can be attributed to the aluminum cups that the SR325i utilizes?

May 6, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #3,664 of 5,004

Quote:
The highs are more tamed on a (stock) 325i than other SR series? That's the first time I've heard that description o.O

Really?  Actually, it's true.  When I put on my SR325i headphones, the music is actually quite neutral.  However, when I put on the modified SR225 headphones with the wooden cups, the highs are more pronounce and the bass is too.  Also, a few months back, I had a new pair of SR225i (stock) and when I'd compare them to my SR325i, the SR225i had more pronounced high frequencies.  Both headphones were completely stock and utilizing the bowl pads.

I wish I knew of a person who didn't like Grados due to their level of high frequencies.  I'd love for them to try my SR325i and truly judge for themselves if my pair is tamed or not.  I suspect they'd agree that they are.

May 6, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #3,665 of 5,004

Quote:
photos, por favor...

Here you go...

Not much to look at right now but they sound damn good. I think I need to work on the finish of this pair a little better. Bill is sending me some aluminum gimbal rings that should contrast really nicely  with the wood on the cups. I need to source a grill too. I was thinking some stainless steel screen patch but it's not quite right. I have some mesh from the pen & pencil can I used to make the Cocobolo grills, but their black. Walmart only has black too. I guess I'll be checking out Staples tommorow.

May 6, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3,666 of 5,004

Quote:
Here you go...

Not much to look at right now but they sound damn good. I think I need to work on the finish of this pair a little better. Bill is sending me some aluminum gimbal rings that should contrast really nicely  with the wood on the cups. I need to source a grill too. I was thinking some stainless steel screen patch but it's not quite right. I have some mesh from the pen & pencil can I used to make the Cocobolo grills, but their black. Walmart only has black too. I guess I'll be checking out Staples tommorow.

Looking nice, so far.  In regards to the screen, have you considered purchasing the black screen from WalMart and then applying some thin layers of spray paint to cover the black?  Krylon makes some excellent colors - they have some gold and silver in a hammered metal finish that might look sweet.  In fact, the silver finish turns out more like a platinum color.  You might be able to come up with something quite unique.  If this is something you might go through with, cut the mesh and mold the edges so they fit into your cups.  Once you've got a good fit going, pull the mesh out and then paint them.  I suspect if you paint the mesh before working with it, the paint will crack up when you cut and mold the mesh into the cups.

Best of luck!

May 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3,667 of 5,004

Quote:
Here you go...

I like the shells! Thing is.. you covered the magnet backplate vents when you damped the driver?

May 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #3,668 of 5,004

Quote:

Looking nice, so far.  In regards to the screen, have you considered purchasing the black screen from WalMart and then applying some thin layers of spray paint to cover the black?  Krylon makes some excellent colors - they have some gold and silver in a hammered metal finish that might look sweet.  In fact, the silver finish turns out more like a platinum color.  You might be able to come up with something quite unique.  If this is something you might go through with, cut the mesh and mold the edges so they fit into your cups.  Once you've got a good fit going, pull the mesh out and then paint them.  I suspect if you paint the mesh before working with it, the paint will crack up when you cut and mold the mesh into the cups.

Best of luck!

Thanks, I was actually mulling that thought over today. I still have some mesh left from when I fabricated a pair for the Cocobolo's. That might actually be the way to go.

Quote:
I like the shells! Thing is.. you covered the magnet backplate vents when you damped the driver?

Does covering those holes actually do something detrimental?

May 6, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #3,669 of 5,004

Mucho thankso! Seriously, those are coming along beautifully. I wish I was in the middle of a woody-modding project. Soon enough though, and I'll have learned a great deal about the process from head-fiers...
Quote:
Here you go...

May 7, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #3,673 of 5,004

Quote:
no one has really said for sure whether or not covering up the holes is bad.. but it took me two seconds to poke holes in the dynamat. So, why not just leave them vented eh?

Correct.  As mentioned before, they apparently are just cooling holes for the drivers.  Now, unless someone were to partake in some extended heavy metal listening sessions, I doubt the drivers wouldn't come even close to overheating.  However, with that being said, the holes do vent all the way through the magnet to the driver cone material itself.  The driver could, in theory, push some air through those hole - though, they are small.  They could be a "slight" change in the sound.  Personally, I'd take the extra minute or two and ensure they were open, since they were designed that way.  I hate to see those Grado Research and Development hours go to waste.

May 7, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #3,674 of 5,004

Quote:
Here's my Jaben Alu Mod version. Red color was removed with caustic soda, then I polished the aluminium. Used my drill with a polishing brush and some paste.

Man, you are excellent with that metal lathe.  Those cans are turning out great!  Are you using any sort of wooden liners with them?

May 7, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #3,675 of 5,004
Waiting for some of Bila's Coco  inners to replace the plastic housing of the driver. He was in the process of making them when he had his leg injury interfere. Haven't heard from him since. Hope he is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back