SR60-Mod
Mar 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #2,687 of 5,004
Quote:
or you could buy some drivers from bila and make some grados from the ground up!!

Honestly not a bad idea, not something I had really though of. The only obstacle now would be making a reasonable pair of gimbals. If I had access to a rotary chuck for a mill, I could make my own custome circular gimbals like the higher end Grados instead of relying on commercially available tubing. Everything else would be a snap to make or source (headband, rod blocks, rods themselves).

I might have to give this some thought.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2,688 of 5,004
@sharkz, very nicely done my friend.  I really liked all the woods that you have chosen.  How do you think each of them sound?

@bill, definitely a cool idea.  I will definitely be practicing the bill method on some popular.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #2,689 of 5,004
You guys talking about a cross between jumbos and bowls should try the jaben jumbos. Someone posted a link to them on ebay a while back. I haven't tried the full jumbo's but these aren't far off the bowl sound signature while being more comfortable. IMO compared to bowls they have bigger soundstage, slightly more treble AND bass. Mids are a touch less forward.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #2,690 of 5,004

Quote:
@sharkz, very nicely done my friend.  I really liked all the woods that you have chosen.  How do you think each of them sound?

I won't be able to comment on sound until I get another driver. Unless you want to hear my impressions of a a stereo recording missing a channel. Or I could listen to the mono remastered version of The While Album I have. I will just have to switch between ears so one side doesn't get jealous of the other.

I am thinking if there is any difference, it will be shown by the Padauk or Leopardwood. The Leopardwood was the densest wood which surprised me a little. I can't wait to have them functioning though, its been almost a month since I have heard the sweet sounds of music through Grados.

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2,691 of 5,004

Quote:
sharkz +1 leopardwood

made me wish I had another pair of grados to mod and put leopard wood on!

Quote:
Quote:

Now you know how I feel, I have 1 pair of Grado's now and three nice pairs of cups, soon to be five. I really need to step it up and grab a pair of 125's or 225's. I think that will be my next step after I get a Little Dot, which will hopefully be soon.

I got a heads up on a pair B stock 225's that headroom had available and ordered them today, I can relate to those sentiments and a desire to mod another Grado too. Some African Blackwood for cups and African Mahogany for driver shells are on their way too.

Quote:
You guys talking about a cross between jumbos and bowls should try the jaben jumbos. Someone posted a link to them on ebay a while back. I haven't tried the full jumbo's but these aren't far off the bowl sound signature while being more comfortable. IMO compared to bowls they have bigger soundstage, slightly more treble AND bass. Mids are a touch less forward.

Interesting, I like the idea of more soundstage while retaining a signature closer to the bowls. I'll have to investigate these a little more, thanks Larry.

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,693 of 5,004
Did you post pics of those? I don't remember seeing them. How about a refresher, I enjoyed your other work.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #2,698 of 5,004
Hope everyone down there is alright. Also hope the bad weather clears out, going to be in South Florida next Friday for 4 days. I need some nice weather and beach relaxing. Especially since we are getting more snow tonight.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #2,700 of 5,004
Here we are.  April 1st (April Fool's Day).  Tornados in central Florida yesterday, 1 foot+ of snow in the New England area and radiation in my milk.  Is the world coming to an end?

I think I'm in the mood for some new furniture.  This sort of has my attention at the moment:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back