SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #391 of 706
Quote:
Supra 120V op amps made by SPL

Jamiee surely you need an extension lead to insert a Burson opa there no? The two capacitors next to each other op amp are awfully close.

Thanks.
The Supra OpAmps by SPL are discrete built so it doesn't make sense to insert bursons there I suppose.
I was referring to the two OpAmps that are circeled in yellow in the picture above and which are supposed to be replaced by the Bursons as far as I understand. What model are those and how do they affect the signal path.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #392 of 706
I'm curious about this as well--I've read that the opamps in the Phonitor aren't actually in the sound path, and instead are present for the purpose of 'DC offset,' whatever *that* means. @.@
Quote:
Thanks.
The Supra OpAmps by SPL are discrete built so it doesn't make sense to insert bursons there I suppose.
I was referring to the two OpAmps that are circeled in yellow in the picture above and which are supposed to be replaced by the Bursons as far as I understand. What model are those and how do they affect the signal path.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #393 of 706
The chip op-amps in the Auditor and Phonitor are used purely for DC-offset control and play no part in the audio signal path.

Changing them cannot possibly alter the sound in spite of what some people claim they are hearing.

Suggestion is a powerful force. Don't be fooled.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #394 of 706
Quote:
The chip op-amps in the Auditor and Phonitor are used purely for DC-offset control and play no part in the audio signal path.
Changing them cannot possibly alter the sound in spite of what some people claim they are hearing.
Suggestion is a powerful force. Don't be fooled.

I don't believe this. The difference is night and day in my Auditor.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #395 of 706
Lol. Maybe I'll have to contact SPL and get their opinion on the matter. Which probably won't be much of an opinion.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #396 of 706
SPL's response has aleady been given in post #329 of this very thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/437390/spl-phonitor-roll-call-appreciation-thread/315#post_7884392

:wink:

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #397 of 706
Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #398 of 706
The marked OpAmps are not SPL's Supra 120V units.
They are used for some sort of voltage regulation (though for the life of me I can't remember what), and while SPL claims that changing them won't affect the sound - I can tell you that it certainly does!

As for spacing - The Burson will fit fine on it's own without any additional adapter for added height.
They have just enough clearance over the small capacitors you see in the above photo.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #399 of 706
I have tried Audio GD moon and Sun besides stock Supras and they all sounded very different.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #400 of 706
So do the Bursons not actually sit on the board? I get that the pins will be firmly in place, but the actual chips the components sit on just sort of... chill? Can you tell that I lack the vernacular to properly discuss this lol?

Anyone got a good picture of what the Bursons look like in the Phonitor when they are installed? I'm trying not to be too needy, honest. ^^

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #401 of 706
Yer gonna make me pull out and open up my Phonitor aren't ya.... 
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #402 of 706
Well, I'm not going to make you, exactly... I'll probably just keep gently bugging people until I get my way. :-D
Quote:
Yer gonna make me pull out and open up my Phonitor aren't ya.... 
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #403 of 706
Lol.

Well lets see if this will tide you over for a bit...

NOTE:  This is not a Burson installed into a Phonitor - but it looks exactly the same.
I should also mention that the burson in this photo looks to be a dual-channel part (the single channel version is very similar looking - just lacks the added componentry on the backside).

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #404 of 706
Edit: Answered my own question, again. x.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back