SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #406 of 706
Hi,

I tried this a while back with swaping OPA's and it did nothing for me. I got some from Audio-GD as Sup suggested and well, no changes to the sound. I honestly don't know why you guys hear changes in the sound. I've contacted SPL about this and they said it won't change the sound.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #407 of 706
Quote:
Hi,

I tried this a while back with swaping OPA's and it did nothing for me. I got some from Audio-GD as Sup suggested and well, no changes to the sound. I honestly don't know why you guys hear changes in the sound. I've contacted SPL about this and they said it won't change the sound.

Odd, with my HD800's the change from stock OpAmps to the Burson's was/is quite noticeable.
I did swap them back and forth a couple of times early on to be sure, and it wasn't until I put the stock parts back in that I really heard the difference between the two.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #408 of 706
Quote:
The chip op-amps in the Auditor and Phonitor are used purely for DC-offset control and play no part in the audio signal path.
Changing them cannot possibly alter the sound in spite of what some people claim they are hearing.
Suggestion is a powerful force. Don't be fooled.

Doesn't changing rectifier tube in a tube amp alter the sound?

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #409 of 706
True, but the audio passes through the tube. On the Auditor is does not pass through the OPA's as they are for DC offset. If it's changing the sound for you guys it may not be a good thing. I've talked with SPL on this matter and they said the OPA's that are being changed in this thread have no audio signal pass through them, so changes would not occur. They also suggested that changing these OPA's could be for the worse.

Quote:
Doesn't changing rectifier tube in a tube amp alter the sound?

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #410 of 706
Quote:
True, but the audio passes through the tube. On the Auditor is does not pass through the OPA's as they are for DC offset. If it's changing the sound for you guys it may not be a good thing. I've talked with SPL on this matter and they said the OPA's that are being changed in this thread have no audio signal pass through them, so changes would not occur. They also suggested that changing these OPA's could be for the worse.

I dunno the change to the Burson's sounds pretty darn good to me.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #411 of 706
Hrm... I still would not recommend swapping OPA's on the Auditor.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #412 of 706
I just got my Bursons. Its supposed to need 100 hrs of burn in so I won't say anything yet but the obvious: huge quantities of bass.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #413 of 706
I have Bursons in my old DAC25.2. They made the sound clearer but not bassier. Will have to swap them into my Auditor and try them out.

Quote:
I just got my Bursons. Its supposed to need 100 hrs of burn in so I won't say anything yet but the obvious: huge quantities of bass.

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #414 of 706
Is all this opamp swapping talk related to the auditor only?  I have a phonitor and I'm curious if there is an op amp rolling going on with it.  I'm pretty happy with the sound, but I used to have a lot of fun rolling op amps in my old Xin super macro v3.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #415 of 706
Quote:
Is all this opamp swapping talk related to the auditor only?  I have a phonitor and I'm curious if there is an op amp rolling going on with it.  I'm pretty happy with the sound, but I used to have a lot of fun rolling op amps in my old Xin super macro v3.

you can do it with Phonitor too

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #416 of 706
I took the Burson OPA's out of my DAC25.2 and swapped them into my Auditor. As expected there is no audible change at all.

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #417 of 706
Quote:
I have Bursons in my old DAC25.2. They made the sound clearer but not bassier. Will have to swap them into my Auditor and try them out.

Agreed, my experience with the Burson's is that they clean up the sound but certainly don't add any bass.
If anything I find the bass with my Phonitor and HD800's to be more balanced, textured and a bit less in your face compared to the stock OpAmps.
The Burson's seem to focus in more on mid range purity.

Quote:
I took the Burson OPA's out of my DAC25.2 and swapped them into my Auditor. As expected there is no audible change at all.

This still surprises me...

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #419 of 706
I want to try those Burson's with my Phonitor, any other changes worth to mention...maybe with the sound stage?

Quote:

Agreed, my experience with the Burson's is that they clean up the sound but certainly don't add any bass.
If anything I find the bass with my Phonitor and HD800's to be more balanced, textured and a bit less in your face compared to the stock OpAmps.
The Burson's seem to focus in more on mid range purity.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #420 of 706
I want to try those Burson's with my Phonitor, any other changes worth to mention...maybe with the sound stage?

Don't and save money. As much as I hate to admit it after I have done extensive comparisons between different opamps I have to agree with ZombieX that there is no difference between them. I guess it was all in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back