Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #617 of 9,173
WOW! a $700 headphone is just a bit more than a days pay?

If you don't mind me asking what exactly do you do for a living???, my entire 2 week paycheck is like $880 lol

I'm a public servant lol

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #618 of 9,173
Age is a number, and it is quite foolish to judge it based on that. There aren't many, but there are still vintage headphones out there that can stand alongside the big boys, and the DR-Z7 is one of them. Other notable ones are the Fostex T50v1, Pioneer Monitor 10-II, and Stax SR-X MKIII.

While not the best out of the aforementioned, the DR-Z7 is a very good headphone, even by today's standards. While its entirely different sounding, I'd put it on the same level as the HD800 soundwise, and far far ahead of it in build quality. It's all metal and has an extremely fast, responsive driver with some of the hardest hitting bass I've ever experienced.

It is a couple notches behind in comfort, but it's a very heavy on-ear, so that's kind of a given. Either way, Sony hasn't made a better headphone since, except maybe the R10 (which I haven't gotten to hear yet).

The MDR-Z7 appears to borrow certain design merits from the DR-Z7 (metal plated diaphragm, large voice coil, heavily dampened backwave, sealed and vented) as well as borrows its naming system so it might at least sound similar. And if that's the case, it's gonna be mine the moment it's available.

Are you saying my lack of faith disturbs you? :D

Well, that's better than telling me you're my father :p

lol :wink:

*I'd love to hear these blasts from the pasts you mention, until if/then I'll reserve my judgement (maybe)*

Definitely a likeable signature, more in the direction of the Sig DJ than the T5p, i.e. stronger bass than the latter, but less so than the Ultrasone, with better extension in the treble and a somewhat similar slight spike in the presence region. I'd say its presentation is also wider than the Sig DJ.

To me the signature seems to be a bit of a Japanese preference, its a bit similar to the Fostex (and in extension the older Denon models I guess). I think the Fostex are quite successful there, so the signature chosen by Sony might well play out in a similar direction (which is not to say they intend to copy Fostex, just that they cater to a similar preference). And its seems to me that they might follow up with a high end / reference model... which would put the Z7 in the TH600 range when comparing product lines.

Sig DJ owners...UNITE! :D

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1152375/22nd-sig-dj-street-photo-manipulation-pop-art-feat-ultrasone-signature-dj-headphones/

I wonder how hard the Z7 will bass EQ?

I wonder if SONY design team thought, "if we build it, they will EQ..."

Sounds like it's got potential maybe in the frequency response field of dreams....

* welp, 70mm drivers, bites knuckles....* :p

edit: Z7 back up on SONY UK site @£549.00 GBP

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-z7
Forgot to mention man, I was going to showcase my new about to be released awesome can at IFA 2014, but my car broke down, but I'm taking pre-orders already, just check below for details:

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1133120/new-planar-technology-cb3723-awesome-cans-hear-what-u-can-coming-soon/

:p :D :rolleyes:

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #621 of 9,173
One little mistake on Sony web site: Stable neck-band all-metal design Should read: Stable head-band all-metal design

No fancy lacquer wood box like some planar headphone comes in to impress your friends before they even see the headphone!
blink.gif

At the RMAF I will audition the HE-560 with the HE-6 and then the Sony Z7. I will bring my own music tailored to compare headphones. I may see Jude there. One of the biggest CAMJAM ever and one of the largest consumer oriented audio show in the county.

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #622 of 9,173
that's crazy man I can't even imagine that lol, a nice house in western Pennsylvania USA is like $150,000

Lol that's the cost of a niceish car over here.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #625 of 9,173
i sympathize with spurziii. over here in singapore, a Hyundai tucson is the cost of a Mercedes E class in USA. and im living in a house that is 2 mil but i got no land. Its just a 3 storey condo. At least its 16-17 flr.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #630 of 9,173
How much is a Big Mac over in your part of the world? :blink:

(not cheezburger or Macs that Apple make)

Yep about that. Cup of coffee is $3.50 here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back