Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #601 of 9,173
I'd be devastated if the Z7 weren't better than a headphone released 36 years ago
basshead.gif

Age is a number, and it is quite foolish to judge it based on that. There aren't many, but there are still vintage headphones out there that can stand alongside the big boys, and the DR-Z7 is one of them. Other notable ones are the Fostex T50v1, Pioneer Monitor 10-II, and Stax SR-X MKIII.

While not the best out of the aforementioned, the DR-Z7 is a very good headphone, even by today's standards. While its entirely different sounding, I'd put it on the same level as the HD800 soundwise, and far far ahead of it in build quality. It's all metal and has an extremely fast, responsive driver with some of the hardest hitting bass I've ever experienced.

It is a couple notches behind in comfort, but it's a very heavy on-ear, so that's kind of a given. Either way, Sony hasn't made a better headphone since, except maybe the R10 (which I haven't gotten to hear yet).

The MDR-Z7 appears to borrow certain design merits from the DR-Z7 (metal plated diaphragm, large voice coil, heavily dampened backwave, sealed and vented) as well as borrows its naming system so it might at least sound similar. And if that's the case, it's gonna be mine the moment it's available.

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #603 of 9,173
  I heard them Friday at IFA where Sony had reserved quite some space (see first pic below). Of course it was a noisy, hectic space overall and people were waiting behind me, so I limited myself to a few minutes. I plugged my own iPhone into their new mobile amp PHA 3AC which accepts digital signal from iOS devices (besides USB and optical if I remember correctly), disengaged their upsampling (or whatever that reconstruction already mentioned here is supposed to do). Tuning reminded me a bit of the Fostex headphones, i.e. rather strong, but clear bass, bit pronounced 3-4kHz, quite good extension (i.e. not dark). Nice cable... which comes with a 200€ price tag they told me.

Handling was nice, I forgot to ask what the cups are made of. Feels light, but not cheap, with good comfort (as far as I can judge that within a few minutes).

I am not sure how successful the Fostex th900/th600 has been but perhaps Sony has identified the sound of the Fostex 'phones as something desirable in the closed/semi-closed headphone market?  The price of the X7 is very similar to the th600 (in the UK at least), maybe a higher end model next year would target the th900?  I realise this is a very narrow concept, taking no account of the Senn HD800 and the various planar magnetics that dominate the high end at this time, but the similarity between the X7 and the th600 is striking.  And detachable cables as well!

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #604 of 9,173

Looks like one of the Kimber cables Sony are going to be selling separately. Bundled cables have black sleeving I believe.

I believe you are correct.  I was able to read Sony's part number MUC-B20BL1, in one of the photos.  Thanks...

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #605 of 9,173

Knowing that you have the T5p's and the Sig DJs and Sig Pros, how do you think they performed in your bit of time? Does it at least produce a decent sound to be categorized with those mentioned? (in terms of enjoyment NOT technicalities).

Definitely a likeable signature, more in the direction of the Sig DJ than the T5p, i.e. stronger bass than the latter, but less so than the Ultrasone, with better extension in the treble and a somewhat similar slight spike in the presence region. I'd say its presentation is also wider than the Sig DJ.

I am not sure how successful the Fostex th900/th600 has been but perhaps Sony has identified the sound of the Fostex 'phones as something desirable in the closed/semi-closed headphone market?  The price of the X7 is very similar to the th600 (in the UK at least), maybe a higher end model next year would target the th900?  I realise this is a very narrow concept, taking no account of the Senn HD800 and the various planar magnetics that dominate the high end at this time, but the similarity between the X7 and the th600 is striking.  And detachable cables as well!

To me the signature seems to be a bit of a Japanese preference, its a bit similar to the Fostex (and in extension the older Denon models I guess). I think the Fostex are quite successful there, so the signature chosen by Sony might well play out in a similar direction (which is not to say they intend to copy Fostex, just that they cater to a similar preference). And its seems to me that they might follow up with a high end / reference model... which would put the Z7 in the TH600 range when comparing product lines.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #606 of 9,173
I might save for these. A bit more than a days pay and still can't afford. Don't have kids guys.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #607 of 9,173

Definitely a likeable signature, more in the direction of the Sig DJ than the T5p, i.e. stronger bass than the latter, but less so than the Ultrasone, with better extension in the treble and a somewhat similar slight spike in the presence region. I'd say its presentation is also wider than the Sig DJ.

This sentence in the context of a thorough review would sparkle my interest on these.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #608 of 9,173
New article from AsiaOne Digital "Sony's new audio products give you high resolution audio on the go" http://digital.asiaone.com/digital/news/sonys-new-audio-products-give-you-high-resolution-audio-go

NWZ-A15 Digital Music Player (How is this possible????:) "DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) HX technology automatically upscales lower-bitrate CD recordings or heavily-compressed MP3 files by recreating lost high-frequency information, providing you with near-High Resolution clarity."

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #609 of 9,173
it is impossible. sony has been using this gimmick for so long

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #610 of 9,173
  This sentence in the context of a thorough review would sparkle my interest on these.

In hindsight I would like to have had a longer listen with them, but it was a noisy showfloor anyway... so sorry: thats about as much as I think I can say about them.

Regarding this upscaling thing: the staff insisted of course, that it is much better... I turned it off right away as I do not believe it's possible at all and prefer to have as little signal processing as possible in my listening chains. never mind... it *can* be turned off :wink:

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #611 of 9,173
lol. i wonder what the signal processing does anyway. i would rather not have that feature and save some bucks

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #615 of 9,173
WOW! a $700 headphone is just a bit more than a days pay?

If you don't mind me asking what exactly do you do for a living???, my entire 2 week paycheck is like $880 lol

My pay isn't that great. Most people earn that or a bit less in my area. It costs a lot to live here lol. The average paycheck in sydney before taxes is $1600-$1700 per week. I also live in a 60+ year old 3 bedroom shack that's worth over $1 million aud (not what I paid for it). Its crappy, old and kind off falling apart and no way luxurious but is worth over $1 million. This is all normal here. Its funny saying this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back