Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 6, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #4,202 of 9,173

The price burn is real with these headphones.
Might buy a spare after I dump all my low end junk.
Quote:
  What do you mean with "price burn"?

I guess he means they're expensive, but on the contrary relative to their performance level, I would say that they are not, in fact as for the XBA-Z5 I would say those are agressively priced if you consider they compare to pricier alternatives. Everything is relative :)

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #4,205 of 9,173

What's the current best deal?

The below was a page back so apparently in Japan you can get them for $399.

Quote:

May I know what is the mod you have done to restore the Z7 treble after 10kHz? If it can be easily done then I would love to acquire a pair of Z7. It is priced at Yen46800 now in Japan.

The lowest I've seen them and what I bought my pair at is $499 and that was direct from Japan off Ebay. They are going for the same price however from a non-prime vendor on Amazon (U.S.)

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #4,206 of 9,173
Feb 6, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #4,207 of 9,173
So I'm just about to pull the trigger and order these, but I'm still debating between the Kimber Kable or the Silver Dragon from Moon - both in balanced mode.  I recently picked up a Pono and have been discovering that I've really been missing out with several so so headphones.  

I have some Fidue A83 IEM's with the Silver Dragon Moon Audio balance cable and they sound amazing with the Pono - to me the Pono really shines in balanced mode.  

As much as I love the IEM's, I've really been looking for some closed back over the ear phones to use at work.  IEM's are nice but just not as easy to slide off when someone stops by and I need to chat.

I love the look of the Kimber Kable, the braided cable looks very durable and looks like it will hold up well and not tangle easily - not to mention it would come with the screw on attachment to connect to the Z7's.  The Moon Silver Dragon sound great on my Fidues, but the cable itself is actually pretty slim, not braided or covered with just the basic plastic cable material.  

I guess me question is - will the Silver Dragon sound all that much better than just getting the Kimber that's actually made for these?

Thanks all!

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #4,208 of 9,173

Sorry, just wanted to ask one other question of this group - has anyone tried to checked out Surf Cables option for a balanced after market cable?  They're only $80 for a balanced set to run on either the pono or the PHA-3.  Really cheap considering everything else I see, just wondering how these may measure up???

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #4,209 of 9,173
Unfortunately my SE215 is cutting out badly again today to the Deoxit only helped temporarily. I am glad I bought it because it might help ensure my Z5 doesn't have this issue after it's fixed but it doesn't fix a unit once it starts to have this problem.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #4,210 of 9,173
  May I know what is the mod you have done to restore the Z7 treble after 10kHz? If it can be easily done then I would love to acquire a pair of Z7. It is priced at Yen46800 now in Japan.

Well, I wish it could be done easily, but it isn't easy.

And the mod actually does something else other than increasing treble after 10KHz. My goal was more along the line of making the ear cups disappear, and also strengthening the rigidity of the driver baffle. Frequency response is a bit bent, but not completely different from stock. The end result is that the headphone sounds more transparent, but its frequency response doesn't change all that much, so it is still easy to listen to. If I ever decide to change the frequency response of the Z7, it'll be to bring it closer to my LCD-2.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #4,212 of 9,173
Feb 7, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,214 of 9,173
Mine is 009318
Not sure who cares though... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back