Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 4, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #4,172 of 9,173
How does the MDR-Z7 sound when paired with the iFi Micro iDSD (both DAC/AMP function)?

Thank you in advance.

Tried them out today. Amazing... Pretty blown away and I'm glad I made the order

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #4,173 of 9,173

Some seriously deep (if a little fuzzy) bass on that one. 
L3000.gif

Bass on this is almost one of a kind.
Wouldn't change it for the world.

Glad you enjoy yours that way.  I have to tame the bass a bit as it was too overdone for my taste.  I was like you guys once. 
wink_face.gif

L3000.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4,175 of 9,173
Glad you enjoy yours that way.  I have to tame the bass a bit as it was too overdone for my taste.  I was like you guys once. :wink_face:  :L3000:

I think its funny how some equate liking atrong bass with being less of an audiophile! I don't use any EQ at all on any of my headphones and I like to hear "what the artist intended" if that recording has a load of bass, I want to hear it! It's a modern EDM album and it's got BASS!

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #4,176 of 9,173
I think its funny how some equate liking atrong bass with being less of an audiophile! I don't use any EQ at all on any of my headphones and I like to hear "what the artist intended" if that recording has a load of bass, I want to hear it! It's a modern EDM album and it's got BASS!

I didn't intend to say that, but once you experience a cleaner bass line you will understand that the Z7 can use a little more control.  You certainly can confirm this with Matt b/c he heard my Z7 with and without cable upgrade.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #4,177 of 9,173
  I didn't intend to say that, but once you experience a cleaner bass line you will understand that the Z7 can use a little more control.  You certainly can confirm this with Matt b/c he heard my Z7 with and without cable upgrade.

I'm interested to hear them with the upgraded cable, which one do you have?

Also, I thought you just meant over all in general, not the Z7 specifically about the bass comment.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #4,178 of 9,173

There's nothing wrong with enjoying bass. But I think better quality bass is just... well, better.

And I know the bass of the Z7 can be made better without sacrificing much (if any at all) of the quantity.
wink.gif

Personally, I think the Z7 is a good headphone, but it can be made into a greater headphone if Sony had just spent a bit more time on it. Either that or Sony knows, but they are deliberately releasing worse models now to prepare for something else in the near future.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #4,179 of 9,173

I'm interested to hear them with the upgraded cable, which one do you have?

Also, I thought you just meant over all in general, not the Z7 specifically about the bass comment.

Currently I have Bill P's modded and my Z7 with upgraded cable.  Yes, my comment is about the bass quality that can be made better whether through modding or using better upgraded cable.

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #4,181 of 9,173
So are there other reports of cables that are not the Kimber?  It would be my first choice because i have Kimber Kable in other parts of my system. 

Waiting to pull the trigger until I know if I will be getting a PHA-3 or not.

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #4,182 of 9,173
Well ok, I'm not an audiophile, so for me that loose, meaty analogue-ish bass sounds very very fine to me. Head-fi is not all about detail and texture, I want me some oomph as well :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #4,183 of 9,173
Man I love how the stock cables thread onto the headphone.  Do the Kimbers do the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back