Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Nov 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,186 of 3,257
Gonna try them with my computer now and F886 when it arrives.

Update on this. They're horrible with my computer!? I mean the treble is too much it actually hurts my ears. I plug them to my Walkman, perfection. Computer, hell in my ears. Any idea why? None of my other IEMs ever did this before.

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,187 of 3,257
Update on this. They're horrible with my computer!? I mean the treble is too much it actually hurts my ears. I plug them to my Walkman, perfection. Computer, hell in my ears. Any idea why? None of my other IEMs ever did this before.

Probably a wild impedance swing interaction issue due to the nature of the design. Unfortunately.

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,188 of 3,257
Probably a wild impedance swing interaction issue due to the nature of the design. Unfortunately.

Well I hope they won't react the same with F886
eek.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,189 of 3,257
Nov 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #1,190 of 3,257
Huh, I placed a pre-order for the XBA-H3's @ B&H Photo earlier today.  Haven't been around head-fi much the past 6 months or so, came here, saw this thread & have spent the past several hours reading comments (in between doing other things).  I was disappointed to read James' impressions (I've never interacted w/ him, but have come to really respect his posts during my time here).  I'll still give these a go as the price was much lower than I expected for a supposed TOTL, and in fact they're $150USD less than what I paid for my Earsonics SM64, oh, I think 9 months ago now.  I have no idea when mine will ship.  I ordered from B&H only because I've bought so many things from them w/ no issue in the past.

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,191 of 3,257
Hi guys, it is my first post here as I usually only read and learn lol, but since I have had XBA-H3 for awhile as my daily IEM and read some polarizing reviews so I thought it might be good to share my opinion as well. So before I bought XBA-H3 I previously listen from a Denon D2k, and before that I had a pair of grado SR-60 (with GS-1000's pad). My experience with IEM start with XBA-1. I also listen from my room mate's K701 frequently. My source is Fiio E07K. 

I like the mid of H3. I prefer it to Denon D2k and K701 as I think it retains great amount of detail at the same time sounds warm with musicality. I can almost feel the vibration and air from the belly of a string instrument.  Vocal was very involving as well. Overall I think it is the best phone I have heard so far. 

Regarding the bass H3 is definitely bass heavy - even more than D2k. Initially I got some 'booming' bass from H3 which sounds like a broken drum when using the default silicon earbud. But the bass becomes much more controlled after switching to the foamed silicon earbud - probably an alternative solution to partially sealing the vent. Also the amount of bass totally depends on how deep I insert the IEM into my ear canal. I usually do not push it in too hard so I get good clear and well controlled bass. Which I prefer it much over D2k as it extends much deeper and provide a solid sound image on drums and double bass etc. The most appealing thing about H3's bass is that I actually feel it, rather than hear it

As I am using E07k, setting the bass to -2 or -4 gives me the perfect sound I want, but now I actually listen with bass set to 0 and it still feels great. 

Somehow I have the impression that H3 sounds more like a speaker than a earphone. 

Also the source is very important - listening from some poor low bit-rate mp3 sounds like broken drums again, but I haven't had the issue with the collection of CDs and lossless music I have. 

Hope people fine it useful. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,193 of 3,257
Got the XBA-H3 yesterday. They are fantastic. More later.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,194 of 3,257
Quote from the 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)

Written by Jude Mansilla

Last month we had a chance to stop by the headphone labs at Sony in Japan, where the head of their headphone engineering--Naotaka Tsunoda--gave us a tour of the place, and then let us play with some of their newest models. Of the many new products were new in-ear monitors of hybrid design, using both dynamic drivers and balanced armature drivers, and I'm really enthusiastic about them, especially the Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3. (I also really like the new "Foamed Silicone" eartips that they come with.)

The Sony XBA-H3 is the flagship of the new Sony hybrid IEMs, and has one 16mm dynamic bass driver, and two balanced armature drivers (one of the BA drivers is full-range, the other is what Sony calls an HD super tweeter).

With a 16mm dynamic driver, the XBA-H3 has very large earpieces for an IEM. Not surprisingly, given its large size, the XBA-H3 is designed to be worn inverted (cable pointing up, with an over-ear loop). When worn, the XBA-H3 juts out further from my ears than any IEM I have here, reminding me a bit of the old Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro in this way. Given the peculiarities of its design, some may find the XBA-H3 a bit more challenging than a standard IEM to put on.

Fortunately, the Sony XBA-H3 sounds fantastic. Sony has done a better job integrating the dynamic driver with the balanced armature drivers than I've heard from this type of headphone before--I do not feel any sense of disjointedness in the melding of the two different types of drivers.

Not surprisingly with a huge 16mm driver, the XBA-H3 has very deep, very solid hitting bass--boosted, but well-controlled and tuneful, too. The XBA-H3's midrange is clear and precise--more neutral than the bass--and transitions beautifully to the the tweeter's soaring, shimmering treble. You know what it sounds like? Like a Sony flagship IEM.

Despite how much I love the XBA-H3's sound, it's the Sony XBA-H1 that I find to be the biggest gem of Sony's hybrid IEM line, for its combination of sound quality, design, and affordable price.

Because the XBA-H1's driver compliment--one 9mm dynamic driver and one full-range BA driver--is so much smaller than the XBA-H3's, it can use a far more compact housing, and a more traditional form factor. The XBA-H1 is worn cable down, and has a relatively straight body design, so putting its earpiece in your ears couldn't be easier.

In terms of sound, the XBA-H1 has a more neutral tonal balance than the XBA-H3, and the integration of the two drivers sounds seamless to me. Though the bass doesn't hit as hard as the XBA-H3's, it still has good punch, and, again, is more neutral. I find the XBA-H1's midrange to be almost as revealing as the XBA-H3's, and very competitive with other good IEMs in this price range. Its treble is also well extended, but not as much as the XBA-H3's, and is less shimmery. Still, though, I love the even-handed presentation of the XBA-H1, and find it a fantastic value at the price, even if its not as revealing overall as its much larger sibling.

The Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 are two fantastic IEMs. Kudos to Sony for being able to integrate two completely different types of drivers (dynamic and balanced armature) so seamlessly in these two new models.

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #1,196 of 3,257
It has a good bass for sure. But it (XBA-H3) is more south of neutral in the bass region, which is what I prefer. This could be an interesting candidate for the basshead club. It complements nicely witn my Signature DJ.

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,198 of 3,257
Best amp for the H3 : under $300 ??

Anyone tryed it with jds labs C5 ?

.......... Just curious how much it would cost all up ( amp ) to make these things stand up and preform at there best :) :) for music on the move

James444 , m8 does the gs voyager make these sound Awsome by it self without that dap combo ??

Just want a amp for iphone combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back