Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Jun 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,297 of 3,257
PS all this talk about modding them with tape...

No offense guys but rather than adjusting the bass output with tape and pinholes, use the eq setting, it's less work and more effective. It looks nicer too.

You may not hear the difference, but changing the signal's amplitude and changing the driver's damping don't necessarily yield the same results.

Jun 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2,299 of 3,257
sorry for the crappy pics, too lazy to get my dslr out, but that's what my tape mod looks like atm.

Thanks for the shots :D

I believe it's the 200 series, that's what I use and all the Sony's on Comply's site XBA 4 etc are 200's

Yeap.. Using the TX-200 if I recall correctly. Awesome isolation

Like them for what they are, which is a powerhouse sound with sub bass qualities and great separation. Don't hate them because they don't sound like reference monitors.

Enjoy them!

PS all this talk about modding them with tape...

No offense guys but rather than adjusting the bass output with tape and pinholes, use the eq setting, it's less work and more effective. It looks nicer too.

It's more fun to do physical mod IMO

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #2,301 of 3,257
Any prequel impressions (even if via PM)? - I'm quite close to hitting the button on the H3 as a cheaper portable / on the go setup, but - would like to know specifically how the treble holds out on the H3 vs the IE800 (I love the IE800 treble, so clear and extended compared to any other IEM I've heard!)

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The H3 treble is fully the equal of the IE800, but it is a better in ear in the main. The IE800 that is. The differential isn't big enough for me to warrant purchase, but it is there.

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #2,302 of 3,257
The H3 treble is fully the equal of the IE800, but it is a better in ear in the main. The IE800 that is. The differential isn't big enough for me to warrant purchase, but it is there.

Fingers crossed the H3 will be here in the next couple of hours, to find out for myself... looking forward to it :)

Quick general question - done a google image search, and looked on SonyStyle, and cannot find the answer - the UK version of the H3 have been 'tuned' by a Manchester based band called Hurt - is that the same for all (worldwide) H3, or - are the UK version tuned for UK 'ears'?

Thanks.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #2,304 of 3,257
Okay...

For zero hour impressions (five minutes use), I can instantly say that these are the best (to these ears) TOTL IEMs that Sony has made for a while (if forever), compared at the very least to the EX1000 and XBA4...

Compared to the IE800, yes - can definitely hear that these have richer mids, A/B'ing between the two, the IE800s sound thin now (which confirms a discussion that myself and Joey were having via PM)...

I don't hear the bass being heavy, and definitely not as controlled as the IE800s - although burn-in will hopefully aid that (and if not, then seemingly the tape mod will)...

Overall, for the money, compared to the IE800s, these are a steal - quite literally...

Will enjoy getting accustomed to these...

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2,305 of 3,257
enjoy! I have found they get better and better after a week of use especially it's smoothness. Certainly compares well to the IE800.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #2,306 of 3,257
Okay...

For zero hour impressions (five minutes use), I can instantly say that these are the best (to these ears) TOTL IEMs that Sony has made for a while (if forever), compared at the very least to the EX1000 and XBA4...

Allow me to reassure you that "forever" is right! Sony's still on a bit of a learning curve with TOTL IEMs, I think of them as 1980s Toyota ramping up the Lexus line, so for me it's natural that the H3 tops its predecessors. Very sweet mids for sure, even made Will Young sound good. Congrats on the purchase!
etysmile.gif

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #2,307 of 3,257
Very sweet mids for sure, even made Will Young sound good. Congrats on the purchase! :etysmile:
Ellie Goulding's close miked version of 'Your Song' sounds very nice...

Not fully convinced on the overall tone / resolution yet, but only about 4hrs on the clock, so cannot be too judgemental lol.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #2,308 of 3,257
To be honest, both the XBA-4/40 and EX1000 left me wondering "is that all there is?"... But the H3 sounds properly high-end to my ears and I just like it a lot more.

It's also great to hear the H3 is comparable to the IE800 in at least some ways. If I didn't need so much isolation from the world I could see myself getting a pair, the prices available to me is getting cheaper all the time. We'll see...

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,309 of 3,257
H3 vs Shure 846 bass

Still going back and forth with these. There is no doubt that H3's have deeper and heavier sub bass than the 846's (blue filter). You can really feel the H3 bass more then the 846 I'm going to try the black filter to see what this does to the Shure sound. I'm not a bass head but the H3's based is so big and smooth, even compared to the 846. As before the 846 bass seems faster and sharper, harder, just not as deep. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back