Sony R 10 headphones: buy or not?
Oct 28, 2002 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

msjjr

100+ Head-Fier
I've located a source that will sell me one of the last six "to be made" by Sony for $3600.What does everyone think?

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 46
I once said the R10s were easily worth the $4k they cost by U.S. retail price.

That was before I got and heard the Stax Omega II.

Suffice to say, what I think the R10 is worth has decreased significantly since receiving the Omega IIs.

In any event, Japan retail price on the R10s is at most $2900 or so. I believe the pair I saw in Hong Kong was going for $2600 new. $3600 is simply ridiculously overcharging, and all because of import and distributor channels. Unfortunately if you want a pair, and want an easy way to get it, coughing $3600 up may very well be the only way to go.

The same could be said of Stax products. I bet there'd be a LOT more Stax owners on here if it were widely known what EIFL charges for Stax products, considering how many people blow $700-900 on dynamic headphone + amp combos.

Oct 28, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 46
This price is for new phones. In fact, they are supposed to be one of the last six to be made as a special last order for a "long time" dealer as a favor from Sony...or so I was told.

Oct 28, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 46
The R10 is the best dynamic headphone I've heard (and I've heard most of the top dynamic headphones). However, as vertigo-1 has indicated, $3600 is in Stax territory. The cost of the Sony is only part of the expense. The R10 demands a truly great amplifier. The EAR HP4 is the best I've heard so far, but that's a not inconsiderable expense in its own right.

The three best headphone systems I've heard are the R10/EAR, Stax Omega II, and Sennheiser Orpheus. I've only heard the latter two once, and can't really do a meaningful comparison.

If you can get a set sent to you from the Orient, you may get tagged with customs fees, which will greatly reduce the apparent savings (the importer is only part of the higher price).

Have you heard the R10? That's really the only way you can make a meaningful value judgement, but it can be difficult finding one you can listen to. I'd think long and hard about paying $3600 for something I hadn't heard, and that I couldn't return if I didn't like it.

I felt comfortable buying used, because 1) what I had read indicated that it would be something I'd love, and 2) there was a safety net, in that if I didn't like it I could probably break even, or only take a small loss if I decided to sell. If you pay $3600, you'd better like it, because I would imagine that $2000 or maybe a little more would be a reasonable resale price.

If $3600 is the only way you can get one, you can afford it, and it's something you know that you'll like...

Oct 28, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 46
Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep searching for a used one. But now I'm really intrigued about the Stax Omega II. Darn!!

Oct 28, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 46
I know of one person on Head-Fi who has owned the Stax Omega II, EAR/R10 and the Orpheus. IIRC he didn't like the Omega II in his system and sold it, but still has the other two.

Oct 28, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 46
Where are you Vka...
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 46
I am somewhat awed by the prospect of a pair of headphones which cost that much money, and of someone prepared to make such a decision. Of course, I've never heard anything even remotely in that league (or much of anything, period). Not like you need to hear this, but I would definitely continue the search for a good deal on a used pair. In any case, good luck and God Shine On Your Wallet.

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

good luck and God Shine On Your Wallet.
-jackangel

that needs to be a new greeting or something...

Oct 28, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 46
Tested them yesterday and sounded great through the portable that I brought with me (ipod). Also very comfortable!

Comes with case and the "book," but didn't have the cleaning kit. Pretty excited. Didn't realize how rare they were.

The one I am about to get (picking up this afternoon) is #17. Anyone know what year it was manufactured?

Pretty excited as I was able to talk the seller down nearly $400.00. Currently have a Cosmic to drive them...

Oct 28, 2002 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 46
The one I had was #13. From what I heard from a fellow Headfier, Sony seems to make and sell about 100 a year, with 1998 having serial numbers in the one thousands. #17 means yours was pretty fresh off the first assembly line back in 1988. Nice find!
smily_headphones1.gif
But puhleeeeze get a better system to back them up if you do get them.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 46
Hi msjjr,

you have a good idea to find a pair of R-10 (new or used). This cans, as I said, is a mysterious object, I’m speaking not of the fantastic quality, but only about selling and buying it. I bought my new pair last June from Hart (audioadvancement) I paid 3650$ serial number is: 1016 ; year 1999, one of the last produced .

Paul from (tangal) can to have from Sony for 3000$, but now he haven’t more one piece.

Do you know the Sony site http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Qnavi/Detail/MDR-R10.html

where you can find the R-10? Look (you can use Exite for English translation of Japanese… they sell the cans for 324,000 yen that is 2600$ (more or less).

As Hirsh said, the R-10 is the best headphone (I think even than electriostatic models) but, as I always said, they need a very hi class amp dedicated, the EAR HP-4 is very good but not still in the same class of the cans.

Nicola

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 46
Real thing of beauty (looks, sounds, feels, smells... haven't tried tasting it yet)! Will get Joe Blogg to write-up his opinions of it when I see him next! I just think they sound awesome. Got them for my ultimate portable rig and also for some sound stuff that I will be working on, but am thinking Twinhead now...

There's a book that comes with the headphones too! Case locks with keys even!

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:36 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
As Hirsh said, the R-10 is the best headphone (I think even than electriostatic models) but, as I always said, they need a very hi class amp dedicated, the EAR HP-4 is very good but not still in the same class of the cans.

Nik,

I done some intensive testing with different tubes in the EAR/HP4. I was able to improve its performance with the R10 by a great deal over the stock tubes. Best so far is Sylvania 6SN7WGTs, combined with Westinghouse 6SN7WGTs as the drivers. Year of manufacture of the tubes is critical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back