SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Feb 14, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #2,776 of 7,541
  There will be a new software update in april aprox for the A10 walkman, i think for the LDAC thingy on bluetooth and perhaps maybe other stuff

I hope MDR 1ABT would release before that. Wonder is it better than Apt-X. Sony 1ABT + A15/17 sounds cool, considering the lightness, wireless, and battery life for both device.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #2,777 of 7,541
I do prefer cabled audio versus wireless due to SQ and LDAC seems to be as usual SONY propietary thing another reason to say fu** sony haha
biggrin.gif
 i am using my A17 with line out cable to my speakers, sounds good

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,778 of 7,541
I just purchased an A17 as a replacement for my old 80GB  iPod Classic 5.5g... figured 8 years with the same player was enough.  I'd wanted to get rid of it for quite a while and dump iTunes, but for the longest time there wasn't really any competitively priced portable player with a nice design and equivalent storage capacity.  So far I'm thrilled with the A17... the battery life and expandable storage being the main draws for me; but sound quality is also pretty good (most of my collection is 16/44.1, though, so it's not as if I'm really taking full advantage of it).  Still in the process of converting my collection to FLAC, since a lot of it was still 128kbps AACs I ripped years ago for the iPod.

I hope Sony eventually releases a few accessories outside Japan... does anyone here have the official Sony leather case; and if so any comments on the quality?  I'm considering picking it up, and definitely an official or 3rd party screen protector, on eBay in the near future.

I've never used a portable headphone amplifier, so I'll probably just continue without one for now, at least.  Based on the experience of current owners, is it best to stick with IEMs, or are there many full headphones that the A17 can drive comfortably?  Sony seems to be pushing their MDR-1As, but are they a good match to the A17, or meant more for the likes of the ZX1/2?

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #2,779 of 7,541
I've searched to try to find an answer to this but haven't; so I apologize for redundancy: I have an X3 with which I'm happy except for the volume (well, and inability to play more than 1 album at a time, but mostly volume) -- I'm pondering the X5 and the A10 -- is the A10 louder? (Listening only to lossless m4a & flac, wide range of music types.) Thanks!

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,780 of 7,541
  I've searched to try to find an answer to this but haven't; so I apologize for redundancy: I have an X3 with which I'm happy except for the volume (well, and inability to play more than 1 album at a time, but mostly volume) -- I'm pondering the X5 and the A10 -- is the A10 louder? (Listening only to lossless m4a & flac, wide range of music types.) Thanks!

for me it seems to be louder

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #2,781 of 7,541

I've never used a portable headphone amplifier, so I'll probably just continue without one for now, at least.  Based on the experience of current owners, is it best to stick with IEMs, or are there many full headphones that the A17 can drive comfortably?  Sony seems to be pushing their MDR-1As, but are they a good match to the A17, or meant more for the likes of the ZX1/2?

My Beyerdynamic DT860s sound absolutely fantastic straight out of the A15. These must be one of the most sensitive and easy to drive full size headphones. Volume set at 20 max out of 30 (EU limited vol) which is a loud as I would ever want. 

The 860s are easy to drive but are demanding of a high quality source or less they can sound a bit over bright. It says something about the quality and refinement of the Walkman's output that is the best I've heard them. Clear Audio+ only has a mild effect on these compared to in ear/portable headphones. It opens up the soundstage even further and also increases the bass for some reason. 

Now I have the Fiio L5 I will be able to compare with and without amp but straight out of the Sony sounds better, with these phones, than I've ever heard through my Voyager (a great £200 portable amp). The DT860 is open though but I think similar results could be gained from the closed DT660 which seems to have acquired a big following.

So no need for an amp providing you have the right phones as its unlikely to improve the quality of the sound only the volume IMO.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,782 of 7,541
  I've searched to try to find an answer to this but haven't; so I apologize for redundancy: I have an X3 with which I'm happy except for the volume (well, and inability to play more than 1 album at a time, but mostly volume) -- I'm pondering the X5 and the A10 -- is the A10 louder?

Hmm, more looking, bot http://goo.gl/i3TUld and http://goo.gl/RTP7I0 both say the X5 is louder....

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #2,783 of 7,541
  I just purchased an A17 as a replacement for my old 80GB  iPod Classic 5.5g... figured 8 years with the same player was enough.  I'd wanted to get rid of it for quite a while and dump iTunes, but for the longest time there wasn't really any competitively priced portable player with a nice design and equivalent storage capacity.  So far I'm thrilled with the A17... the battery life and expandable storage being the main draws for me; but sound quality is also pretty good (most of my collection is 16/44.1, though, so it's not as if I'm really taking full advantage of it).  Still in the process of converting my collection to FLAC, since a lot of it was still 128kbps AACs I ripped years ago for the iPod.

I hope Sony eventually releases a few accessories outside Japan... does anyone here have the official Sony leather case; and if so any comments on the quality?  I'm considering picking it up, and definitely an official or 3rd party screen protector, on eBay in the near future.

Just picked up the A17 and MDR 1A today, what a coincidence! I was able to play the A17 on full volume, mind you this was using a somewhat quiet mastered Steely Dan album. The MDR 1A are quite nice, but a bass emphasized can for sure. I wouldn't dismiss them so quickly as I think a nice EQ cut could help them become very special. I need to play with these. Through my E12 they are very powerful headphones, and I think I really like the player as well. I am going to get a FiiO L5 cable so I can bypass the Sony amp in favour of the E12 and see what it is like. The MDR 1A are really nice headphones, a modern sound signature for sure, but that doesn't mean they should be dismissed like Beats, I think they are worth some testing. I'll get back to you once I have some more testing time.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #2,784 of 7,541
Guys do you know if this player is compatible with TEAC HA-P50-B ? And what cable do I need to get to connect them? I would like to use it not as external amp only but as a dac as well.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #2,785 of 7,541
  My Beyerdynamic DT860s sound absolutely fantastic straight out of the A15. These must be one of the most sensitive and easy to drive full size headphones. Volume set at 20 max out of 30 (EU limited vol) which is a loud as I would ever want. 

The 860s are easy to drive but are demanding of a high quality source or less they can sound a bit over bright. It says something about the quality and refinement of the Walkman's output that is the best I've heard them. Clear Audio+ only has a mild effect on these compared to in ear/portable headphones. It opens up the soundstage even further and also increases the bass for some reason. 

Now I have the Fiio L5 I will be able to compare with and without amp but straight out of the Sony sounds better, with these phones, than I've ever heard through my Voyager (a great £200 portable amp). The DT860 is open though but I think similar results could be gained from the closed DT660 which seems to have acquired a big following.

So no need for an amp providing you have the right phones as its unlikely to improve the quality of the sound only the volume IMO.

Typically a better amp should provide improvement in control of the bass. If you are like me and play music fairly loud (like now I have Deaudmau5 on full with the A17 and it is comfortable) the amp is being pushed, a better amp will be less stressed and have better control over the drivers. Will you notice? Depends I guess, I feel I do, but I could be fooling myself.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,786 of 7,541
  Guys do you know if this player is compatible with TEAC HA-P50-B ? And what cable do I need to get to connect them? I would like to use it not as external amp only but as a dac as well.

perhaps the WMC-NWH10 if you want digital OUT from the A-series or L5 from fiio if you want analogue out from the walkman

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #2,787 of 7,541

perhaps the WMC-NWH10 if you want digital OUT from the A-series or L5 from fiio if you want analogue out from the walkman

You'll have to test the external USB DAC (i.e. your TEAC HA-P50-B) to see if it can detect the presence of a USB data source that lacks +5V power on the 4th pin - as is normally seen by USB DACs when connected to the USB port of a laptop or PC. Unlike a laptop or PC, the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable will not supply even a trace amount of 5V current to any DAC plugged into its female USB A jack.

To test your external USB DAC in advance of buying a WMC-NWH10 cable, connect your DAC to a laptop or PC's USB port, as usual, with your choice of USB cables, having first covered the 4th pin with a piece of tape, as shown in this photo, to prevent your external DAC from getting 5V power from the laptop or PC:

If your external USB DAC still works, it will likely work fine with an A17 > WMC-NWH10 cable, too.

:D

Mike

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #2,788 of 7,541

Just picked up the A17 and MDR 1A today, what a coincidence! I was able to play the A17 on full volume, mind you this was using a somewhat quiet mastered Steely Dan album. The MDR 1A are quite nice, but a bass emphasized can for sure. I wouldn't dismiss them so quickly as I think a nice EQ cut could help them become very special. I need to play with these. Through my E12 they are very powerful headphones, and I think I really like the player as well. I am going to get a FiiO L5 cable so I can bypass the Sony amp in favour of the E12 and see what it is like. The MDR 1A are really nice headphones, a modern sound signature for sure, but that doesn't mean they should be dismissed like Beats, I think they are worth some testing. I'll get back to you once I have some more testing time.

Awesome; where did you find yours?  With the recent closure of all the Canadian Sony Stores, and the A17 backordered on their webstore at the time I was placing my order (and again now, I see), I ended up ordering online from London Drugs.  Not where I expected to find it, but they shipped promptly and it was delivered a few days ago, so I've just had the weekend so far to play around with it.

For the L5 cable, I'd suggest Amazon.ca.  While it's sold by a 3rd party seller, the stock is held and fulfilled by Amazon so it's eligible for free shipping inside Canada.  And they're currently on sale for $10.95.  Thanks to reading back a few pages this thread I found out they've recently been discontinued, so I ordered a couple in case I want to buy a portable amp down the road.

http://www.amazon.ca/FiiO-Line-Dock-Cable-Walkman/dp/B007ZRZHB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423956998&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+l5

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,790 of 7,541

Users who are viewing this thread

Back