Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 27, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #9,091 of 12,862
It's a matter of time & right volume, bro..
Currently burning in the SE port at a volume of 60 on high gain, about 7 hours in now and I can't wait to reach 200! Too bad my balanced cable didn't arrive though as I was really excited to burn that one especially.

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #9,093 of 12,862
I was really happy with the sound quality of my A15, then enjoyed the step up to the ZX100, then the ZX300 was another improvement over that.
There's an article saying balanced makes no difference for daps/iems, so I I don't know if it's just the fact the balanced output has more power, but the ZX300 balanced out is a treat.

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #9,094 of 12,862
I've been playing at around 75-85 for volume on low gain. Should I do high gain for a while, instead?
I think that's about right, 75-85.. I seldom used high gain on 4.4mm balanced port.. Only sometimes on 3.5mm unbalanced..

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #9,095 of 12,862
I was really happy with the sound quality of my A15, then enjoyed the step up to the ZX100, then the ZX300 was another improvement over that.
There's an article saying balanced makes no difference for daps/iems, so I I don't know if it's just the fact the balanced output has more power, but the ZX300 balanced out is a treat.
Whoever put that in print must be quite full of themselves... to speak authoritatively on a subject in a way that deters other people from having their own fun.

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #9,097 of 12,862
Whoever put that in print must be quite full of themselves... to speak authoritatively on a subject in a way that deters other people from having their own fun.
I can't remember the name of the site, maybe moon audio.

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #9,098 of 12,862
When I used balanced it was plenty loud in low gain. I think I might have used high gain for HE4XX's as they definitely take more power.

With an efficient headphone, balanced out in low gain is audio bliss.

Until you discover plugging it into an amp of course.:grinning:

Shane D

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #9,099 of 12,862
There are also articles saying that cables make no difference, hi-res files do not sound any better, DAPs make no difference, etc. The reality is that everybody should try, and decide for themselves, as it may, or may not be true FOR YOUR SITUATION. There can be situations a person's ears really cannot hear any differences. So it is true for them, but that does not make it true for everybody else. For some people who state that their truth is the only valid one, it is like somebody who cannot see color stating that everybody is deluded if they think they see color.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #9,100 of 12,862
There are also articles saying that cables make no difference, hi-res files do not sound any better, DAPs make no difference, etc. The reality is that everybody should try, and decide for themselves, as it may, or may not be true FOR YOUR SITUATION. There can be situations a person's ears really cannot hear any differences. So it is true for them, but that does not make it true for everybody else. For some people who state that their truth is the only valid one, it is like somebody who cannot see color stating that everybody is deluded if they think they see color.
True and agreed.
I had read this article over a year ago when I was reading up on the benefits of going balanced. Because it was an audio brand website, at the time I thought it must have some truth to it, but my ears to me differently.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #9,101 of 12,862
I remember on the 2.0 firmware update, there was a feature - * Increase the ability to manually add album envelope photos . Has anyone found this feature?

Nothing important for me, but just curious if someone else tried too...

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #9,102 of 12,862
Agree with you 100%, bro.. Couldn't have said it any better myself.. :)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #9,103 of 12,862
Can anyone comment on how the ZX300 (with latest firmware) handles album art? Is it enough for me to have all the individual files tagged with the correct album art?

Mainly yes - only real problem you might have is that the ZX300 (or maybe all Sony Daps in general) does not like the image if its format is a progressive jpeg (compressed)... if that happens (your tags have a progressive JPEG image), the ZX300 won't display it.

Easy fix, if you have a Windows computer and not a lot of duds (I had to do that, myself) : scroll your album list in the DAP, jot down what album art is not showing, open files in MP3tag, select songs, copy the album art, open the Paint program and paste the art in it. Then copy the image in Paint, go back to MP3tag, remove original cover, paste new cover and save the updated tags... you'll notice that the size has increased (it's not compressed any more:)). And there's no need to save image in paint, just copy/paste does the trick.

Had to do that on about 20 albums, on my 400 GB micro SD card, but YMMV, obviously... if you're lucky, all of your art will be fine, or you'll not have a lot to do... if one is very unlucky and everything is in progressive jpegs, that's gonna be a giant PITA with my method, unfortunately. Maybe somebody else knows some other program which can take care of that automatically (I don't, though).

Edited to add: actually all JPEGs are compressed... it's just that progressive JPEGs, in particular, use a form of compression that the ZX300 (and maybe all SONY DAPs) don't like.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #9,104 of 12,862
Ibut the ZX300 balanced out is a treat.

Maybe because Sony
Mainly yes - only real problem you might have is that the ZX300 (or maybe all Sony Daps in general) does not like the image if its format is a progressive jpeg (compressed)... if that happens (your tags have a progressive JPEG image), the ZX300 won't display it.

Easy fix, if you have a Windows computer and not a lot of duds (I had to do that, myself) : scroll your album list in the DAP, jot down what album art is not showing, open files in MP3tag, select songs, copy the album art, open the Paint program and paste the art in it. Then copy the image in Paint, go back to MP3tag, remove original cover, paste new cover and save the updated tags... you'll notice that the size has increased (it's not compressed any more:)). And there's no need to save image in paint, just copy/paste does the trick.

Had to do that on about 20 albums, on my 400 GB micro SD card, but YMMV, obviously... if you're lucky, all of your art will be fine, or you'll not have a lot to do... if one is very unlucky and everything is in progressive jpegs, that's gonna be a giant PITA with my method, unfortunately. Maybe somebody else knows some other program which can take care of that automatically (I don't, though).

I have Macbook-- is there equivalent program that would work that you know of?

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #9,105 of 12,862

Users who are viewing this thread

Back