SONY NW-ZX2
Jul 10, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #6,350 of 14,773
Mine looks identical to this, and I most certainly didn't buy it in South Korea (got it in a local Sony shop in Singapore).

Well then, looks like your local shop is selling Korean sets. As I said earlier, the text is definitely Korean, and if you notice the KCC (Korean Communications Commission) certification logo, it's their electronics standards certification body:

www.hmisource.com/otasuke/download/certification/agency_markings.htm

Maybe the tone of my earlier reply made it seem like I was joking, but I was being serious.

Edit: D'oh, did it again! :p

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #6,351 of 14,773
Just wanted to ask again something I'd mentioned earlier, do any of you have a favourite balanced portable amplifier for use with the ZX2? Is it even worth considering? Was thinking of the PHA-3 before a great deal came along on some IEMs, now I'm wondering if it's worth getting a balanced amp.

And what non-default media players do you guys recommend? I'd like to try some out and see if there's an improvement.

Cheers!

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #6,352 of 14,773
Well then, looks like your local shop is selling Korean sets. As I said earlier, the text is definitely Korean, and if you notice the KCC (Korean Communications Commission) certification logo, it's their electronics standards certification body:

www.hmisource.com/otasuke/download/certification/agency_markings.htm

Maybe the tone of my earlier reply made it seem like I was joking, but I was being serious.

Edit: D'oh, did it again!
tongue.gif

This is correct. In addition, I live in Korea 1/2 the time, 1/2 the time in Japan,
and in Seoul all my pals with Zx2 have this same Korean language version.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #6,353 of 14,773
Neutron is popular on here.

It offer a huge amount of customization options and claims about better sound. I'm not sold about the sound being better than the stock media player (even with optimised settings), but library views (e.g. composer, use of album artist as artist) makes it better than the others for me.

Another standout feature is the option to make it appear before the lockscreen—the whole thing and not just a widget. I don't want a lockscreen but my work wifi network policies make it so that I have no choice.

But it's ugly, no matter how much colour changing it allows. A bit like how you might remember winamp.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #6,354 of 14,773
Just wanted to ask again something I'd mentioned earlier, do any of you have a favourite balanced portable amplifier for use with the ZX2? Is it even worth considering? Was thinking of the PHA-3 before a great deal came along on some IEMs, now I'm wondering if it's worth getting a balanced amp.

And what non-default media players do you guys recommend? I'd like to try some out and see if there's an improvement.

Cheers!

I use the Pha-3 with Zx2 and z7 at home and z5 when out and about,
truly meant-to-be combination, but I suppose depends if you like the Sony "house sound".
Kimber wires for z7 coming from the pha-3 make a big difference. 
If you're buying in or from Japan and paying in yen, the awesome exchange rate helps a lot. 

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #6,355 of 14,773

Cheers!

I use the Pha-3 with Zx2 and z7 at home and z5 when out and about,
truly meant-to-be combination, but I suppose depends if you like the Sony "house sound".
Kimber wires for z7 coming from the pha-3 make a big difference. 
If you're buying in or from Japan and paying in yen, the awesome exchange rate helps a lot. 

That why I waited 4 months since the released and purchased it from japan, rather than buying it from Hong Kong, it cost me about USD 250 less from Japan, than in Hong Kong.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #6,357 of 14,773
If anyone is looking for a cheaper dock / stand, that the STD-NWU10 works well. It even works without removing my Cruzerlite silicone case because the WM-PORT can be moved back and forth a little.

FYI, it requires a cable (it's fed and locked securely into the stand). The stock Sony one works perfectly. My generic WM-PORT cable is not incompatible  because it has a ferrite bead near the end, where it would tuck into the stand.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #6,358 of 14,773
  If anyone is looking for a cheaper dock / stand, that the STD-NWU10 works well. It even works without removing my Cruzerlite silicone case because the WM-PORT can be moved back and forth a little.

FYI, it requires a cable (it's fed and locked securely into the stand). The stock Sony one works perfectly. My generic WM-PORT cable is not incompatible  because it has a ferrite bead near the end, where it would tuck into the stand.

I got this instead of the expensive one, It's built quality is very good, rather than made in china, it's made in Malaysia.  With the case, you get a rather tight fit, to be honest I rather just plug the cable direct to the ZX 2, it's much faster.

So I don't use it much, and yes the stand will only work with the OEM cable, as the cable plug socket holder is made for Sony's OEM cable to the correct size. 

cost me 1780 yen from Japan.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #6,360 of 14,773
  Hi,

I'm trying to get my ZX2 to work with my Hugo, but i'm having issues with it.

I'm using Onkyo HF unlocked. Whatever i play using the Onkyo the light on the Hugo is Red (44.1) it does not matter whether the file is  a DSD or normal redbook. It does not change colour.

On the Onkyo player the settings is set to 

DSD Output format: DoP

Onkyo USB HF Driver is valid (ticked)

Output Audio Route: Device.

Am I missing something?

Sorry Beemarman, but I was totally mistaken about using the Onkyo app on my Sony!  I just tried it tonight and mine does the same thing as yours.   I read the the info on the app in the Google store, and noticed a comment that said: Note: Audio with a sampling rate exceeding 88.2 kHz output via the headphone connection, AOS connection, digital connections via OTG cable (free version only) is downsampled to 44.1 kHz.  It appears that even though I have the hd version (ie., purchased and unlocked), it is down sampling everything over 88khz to 44.1khz., not to mention the upsampling function for taking 44.1khz and higher up to 192khz is not functional either.  I am using the WMC-NWH10 digital usb cable out of the Sony, BTW.  As you mentioned, I plugged my iphone in and everything worked as expected.  Sorry for the earlier misinformation.

I have neutron and onkyo on mine, I prefer onkyo

Per the discussion above, are we missing something about playing high res on the Onkyo player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back