SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #6,586 of 45,723
I'm also struggling to find the bluetooth remote. I can only find it on Ebay right now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-RMT-NWS20-Remote-control-for-WM1-Series-NW-WM1A-NW-WM1Z-/222318504039?hash=item33c3372867

Anyone else have sources for it?

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #6,588 of 45,723

I was thinking about the technical benefits rather than the quality of the adapter.

I've seen a lot of people mentioning using adapters and I'm wondering whether I should do that or wait and get a 4.4mm jack instead.

For that matter is there much value to using the 4.4mm balanced output rather than the 3.5mm TRRS? Apart from the native DSD playback, what other gains are there?

From a practical perspective, I think a 2.5mm terminated using an adapter to 4.4mm has greater flexibility than a 4.4mm terminated cable. There are more offerings of 2.5mm -> whatever (e.g. 3.5mm TRS, mini-XLR, mini-Hirose, etc.). Sure the same thing could be done for the 4.4mm however :-

1) as of today, those options are much more limited
2) the current 4.4mm socket is square, meaning size of 4.4mm -> whatever is going to be big

So really depends on whether you're dedicating that cable for the Sony only. Once the 4.4mm options are more widely available (implemented in other branded products, or someone comes up with a slimmer 4.4mm socket, etc.) then the decision would be easier to make.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #6,589 of 45,723
  here is where I ordered mine
https://jaben.com.my

I recommend this also~ but it's out of stock most of the time.

Need some luck to get it.

The last time someone posted here with stock, within 1/2 a day the stock all gone.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #6,590 of 45,723

The last time someone posted here with stock, within 1/2 a day the stock all gone.

We have the lowest retail prices for any region here, thanks in large part to our devalued currency, and this dealer's online store delivers internationally, so it's not hard to see why that is.

I'm curious how many units of the cables they have moved so far :p

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #6,591 of 45,723

From a practical perspective, I think a 2.5mm terminated using an adapter to 4.4mm has greater flexibility than a 4.4mm terminated cable. There are more offerings of 2.5mm -> whatever (e.g. 3.5mm TRS, mini-XLR, mini-Hirose, etc.). Sure the same thing could be done for the 4.4mm however :-

2) the current 4.4mm socket is square, meaning size of 4.4mm -> whatever is going to be big

So really depends on whether you're dedicating that cable for the Sony only. Once the 4.4mm options are more widely available (implemented in other branded products, or someone comes up with a slimmer 4.4mm socket, etc.) then the decision would be easier to make.

Thanks Sean, that makes a lot of sense.

here is where I ordered mine
https://jaben.com.my

Cheers fellas. Is that a standard mmcx connector on the headphone end?

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #6,593 of 45,723
We have the lowest retail prices for any region here, thanks in large part to our devalued currency, and this dealer's online store delivers internationally, so it's not hard to see why that is.

I'm curious how many units of the cables they have moved so far
tongue.gif

I am glad to get this cable at 1/3 the retail price.

It's very value for money at that price for a 8 wire braided Kimber Kable

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #6,594 of 45,723

I agree with this, but do you have the same effect technically if you do that? Because the 2.5 has less points of connection so are you not degrading something here? (I have no clue what I am talking about just asking).

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #6,595 of 45,723
  just after a quick test, the Zeus R on balanced mode with a tucana cable from YY Audio pro, larger soundstage, better bass impact / definition, quite impressive!
Do you know if a 4.4mm to 3.5 standard output adapter exists ? (L shapped if possible)

how is the tuscana cable, is it comfortable? 
I have another 8 wire cable and I don't like it, especially around the ear.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #6,598 of 45,723
I agree with this, but do you have the same effect technically if you do that? Because the 2.5 has less points of connection so are you not degrading something here? (I have no clue what I am talking about just asking).

Just clarifying, you're talking about 4.4mm's 5-points of contact vs 2.5mm's 4 points of contact? If you're talking about the number of contacts, well I'm sure @CraftyClown's balanced cable has only 4 groups of wires (L+, L-, R+, R-)  running through it (i.e. no 5th ground/earth wire in the cable). So the 5th point won't be used anyway.

OTOH, if you're talking about size of surface area, I don't believe the socket would be leveraging on the available surface area as the contact points are literally springy points of contact rather than surface-area-of-contact in which case direct 4.4mm vs 2.5mm (or 3.5mm) -> 4.4mm isn't going to improve sonics. If anything, the type of coating (gold plated, vs rhodium, etc.) is probably going to matter more. This is my opinion only - w.r.t sonics. Someone do feel free to correct if my understanding is wrong.

As such, my recommendations to him was more on practical flexibility of (re)use of the cable for other DAPs/Amps.

P.S. Side note, I'm asking Hiroaki-san if the ground of the 4.4mm is implemented on the 1Z or not. I can see the ground being implemented in their desktop TA-ZH1ES but grounding onto mobile/portable chassis?

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #6,599 of 45,723
I've always wondered if the adapters degraded the SQ somehow as well. Maybe I should ask in the objectivest forum, they probably know.

A good general rule of thumb is to keep everything as simple as possible.  The shortest path with the fewest interconnections is always best.  Every connector adds/changes something.  Just the known factors, like type and amount of material, strength and surface area of contact point, etc., When you look at the contact area of a jack/plug, it is often miniscule, with a point contact, and the contact pressure is often very low, so any added connectors multiply these weak connections, and the varying types of materials that the electrical connection is flowing through.  Contaminated contacts, oxidation, etc., are another constant and changing factor.

If you are only looking at a resistance measurement across the contact, it may be very low and electrically look perfect, but that is not a guarantee that the SQ will be unaffected.  i.e. If you were to chain 50 plug/connectors together, and they measured a suitable low resistance, would there be an impact on the sound?  Theoretically(from an audiophile perspective), you would expect there to be, though electrically, there should not be.  Would a pure silver cable sound better than a 5 cents per foot hardware store wire?  Some people believe yes, some no.  It all depends on what your own belief is, and what you personally hear.......

I guess the best way is to try and see if you are happy with it.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #6,600 of 45,723

Just clarifying, you're talking about 4.4mm's 5-points of contact vs 2.5mm's 4 points of contact? If you're talking about the number of contacts, well I'm sure @CraftyClown's balanced cable has only 4 groups of wires (L+, L-, R+, R-)  running through it (i.e. no 5th ground/earth wire in the cable). So the 5th point won't be used anyway.

OTOH, if you're talking about size of surface area, I don't believe the socket would be leveraging on the available surface area as the contact points are literally springy points of contact rather than surface-area-of-contact in which case direct 4.4mm vs 2.5mm (or 3.5mm) -> 4.4mm isn't going to improve sonics. If anything, the type of coating (gold plated, vs rhodium, etc.) is probably going to matter more. This is my opinion only - w.r.t sonics. Someone do feel free to correct if my understanding is wrong.

As such, my recommendations to him was more on practical flexibility of (re)use of the cable for other DAPs/Amps.

P.S. Side note, I'm asking Hiroaki-san if the ground of the 4.4mm is implemented on the 1Z or not. I can see the ground being implemented in their desktop TA-ZH1ES but grounding onto mobile/portable chassis?

One advantage of the 4.4mm plug over the others, is that each of the 4 contacts uses a double spring contact point, versus a single contact point on others.  So the expectation is that the contact area is doubled to 2 points, and the contact pressure is higher, as the larger size should allow a more robust implementation.  So it will provide a better mechanical connection.  Also more stable (electrically and mechanically) if the wire/plug is moved, when carrying it around.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back