SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #9,466 of 45,723
Back on topic.... This is the first Sony player I have owned, so this is the first time I have heard of "bookmark lists". How are these different from playlists and why would I chose one over the other? I read the entire help guide, but that really doesn't tell you much.
bookmark have a limit of how many songs you can put and they are internal playlists, that is, you cannot sync with media go for example like happens with normal playlists

Bookmark are internal, have a 500 song limit you cannot sync them to the PC
Normal "named" playlists can be transferred to pc have a 1000 song limit if you create them inside the player but I have successfully transferred a 4000+ songs Playlist from media go

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #9,467 of 45,723
Not attacking anyone. Just saying i can disagree and be fine with it.

As for the qp1r....why would i buy a dap to power a fullsize headphone?

You cant use those headphones in public or on the go so why bother getting a dap? Dap advantage is for pure portability...so main factors should be low noise floor, battery life and ease of ui on the go. Qp1r fails quite miserably and the sq isnt amazing.

I tried it with he1000, hd800, focal utopias.

It def has enough power, but has clipping at high volumes and wouldnt say it drives those heaphones to the fullest. So it doesnt do iems super well or headphones super well. Hence i feel mediocre. Outside of power it sounds pretty off in terms of tonality too. I tried it with ca harmony 8.2s and wasnt happy with the result.

I would in recommend anyone to drive those headphones through a better amp.

Used an impedance adapter and was even less impressed. Andros are sensitive to io so the thin sound got even thinner and drier.

You are free to enjoy your qp1r. I just dont think our opinions and preferences align thats all.

Some people just want to relax on their bed or sofa, moving from one place to another in the house without having to sit at their desk for desktop rig, perhap? Also I carry my fullsize hp to my office or other places not necessarily on the street. It's convenient to carry a dap  (QP1R weights less than 1a btw) rather than a Mojo stack or any portable amp/source stack.  

Note that there are many versions of QP1R on the market and depends on the batch that you would get something that sound worse than others. I have someone purchased it at early batch , sold and tried it again in the lastest batch, he ended up buying it again despite having the 1Z , AK380...I know there are people who have compared units from different batches together and confirmed the differences.
Luckily , my QP1R sounds good enough and has no issues.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #9,469 of 45,723
  I bought a 1Z. I had the WM1A with over 500 hours and have other daps I compared it to and know it sound signature in balanced pretty well. The only thing that concerns me about the 1Z is the weight but I will find out on my own and to the sound, that also I will develop my own impression in comparison to the stuff I have here. 

John, what I like to hear from you is your impression of the 1Z driving the Utopia in balance.  You have had both for awhile do you have a balance cable for the Utopia?  Do you feel the 1Z can drive it to proper level?  How do you like the sound? etc.  

Also, I auditioned the DX200 couple of weeks ago but it was brief so I really cannot give any opinion but based on that I felt the DX200 has potential.  However, I don't feel it is as coherent or smooth as the 1Z.  What do you think? Thanks.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #9,471 of 45,723
Feb 18, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #9,472 of 45,723
This is kinda funny, but I just discovered the new Walkman to have the ability to play "Gapless"....roflmao. It is called "Senses Me Channel" in the menu

Wow lol this feature is awesome. Thanks for pointing out, quite a surprise.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #9,473 of 45,723
  John, what I like to hear from you is your impression of the 1Z driving the Utopia in balance.  You have had both for awhile do you have a balance cable for the Utopia?  Do you feel the 1Z can drive it to proper level?  How do you like the sound? etc.  

Also, I auditioned the DX200 couple of weeks ago but it was brief so I really cannot give any opinion but based on that I felt the DX200 has potential.  However, I don't feel it is as coherent or smooth as the 1Z.  What do you think? Thanks.

I don't have the 1Z yet. I will have it on Monday and then it will need burn in. The 1A had over 500 hours and I sold it as I prefer the DX200 in most all areas of sound so I am looking forward to a step up with the 1Z. The DX200 has to have a few hundred to over 400 hours to totally come together in sound. Caps need time to form etc, which seems to be the case also with the WM1A or 1Z (the 1Z from what I have read but see no reason why it would need less for a total fleshing out of its sound). 

I most always use balanced and have a very nice 4.4 balanced cable to my Utopia, HE1000v2/v1 etc. All my phone can be either balanced or single ended but for the WM1* or the DX200, I feel, they need to be balanced or you haven't heard their potential. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #9,475 of 45,723
This is kinda funny, but I just discovered the new Walkman to have the ability to play "Gapless"....roflmao. It is called "Senses Me Channel" in the menu
how is that? If the player it self is gapless with flac, aiff, wave and alac

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #9,477 of 45,723
I don't know about you, but Utopia and WM1Z to 4.4mm balanced is heavenly to me
smily_headphones1.gif
. What cables and materials you have on Utopia 4.4mm ?

I have Whiplash Twau 8 plait (braid) and Twag in the same. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #9,479 of 45,723

I don't have the 1Z yet. I will have it on Monday and then it will need burn in. The 1A had over 500 hours and I sold it as I prefer the DX200 in most all areas of sound so I am looking forward to a step up with the 1Z. The DX200 has to have a few hundred to over 400 hours to totally come together in sound. Caps need time to form etc, which seems to be the case also with the WM1A or 1Z (the 1Z from what I have read but see no reason why it would need less for a total fleshing out of its sound). 

I most always use balanced and have a very nice 4.4 balanced cable to my Utopia, HE1000v2/v1 etc. All my phone can be either balanced or single ended but for the WM1* or the DX200, I feel, they need to be balanced or you haven't heard their potential. 

Which one do you think has better output? 1a or dx200? or for driving sensitive and bright iems. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #9,480 of 45,723
Argggg.......Silver Goldplated wiresss....how does it sound on Utopia, does it open up Utopia soundstage ? I had been wanting to try this newer materials. I know my Silver-gold alloy wires does open up Utopia soundstage vs copper

Well I did listen to another gold plated that was almost dull sounding. It has to be done right. For the Whiplash I use, it seems it is done right. The sound field is large, layered and the bass is quality. Not the deepest on the Utopia but to me, it is natural and not hyped, more of what I hear in real music, i.e., live. Whiplash now has a Twag V4 I would love to use but now I have spent all my play money on the 1Z for now. :^) 

Which one do you think has better output? 1a or dx200? or for driving sensitive and bright iems. 

With louder passages and using headphones, the 1A can collapse a little on the sound but the DX200 has not done this. I can drive the Utopia directly from the DX200 and not miss my desktop amp. I also had good times with the 1A but noticed some compression if the music got loud. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back