SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #9,481 of 45,723
Argggg.......Silver Goldplated wiresss....how does it sound on Utopia, does it open up Utopia soundstage ? I had been wanting to try this newer materials. I know my Silver-gold alloy wires does open up Utopia soundstage vs copper

I certainly love the TWau, have it on JH13, Sig Pro hard wired and HE-6, all balanced.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #9,482 of 45,723
Where do you get a Dignis case for the WM1*? 

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #9,483 of 45,723
  Where do you get a Dignis case for the WM1*? 

http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/

I know this guy for 3 years, before the price didn't hit up this high but i'm glad to get some of best case available for less than half the price people are paying.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #9,484 of 45,723
  http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/

I know this guy for 3 years, before the price didn't hit up this high but i'm glad to get some of best case available for less than half the price people are paying.

Thank you for the link. Nice but gets expensive since you have to buy the wrist strap, that I would never use and shipping of a little over 20 dollars. I wonder when Dignis will come up on Amazon?

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #9,485 of 45,723

Thank you for the link. Nice but gets expensive since you have to buy the wrist strap, that I would never use and shipping of a little over 20 dollars. I wonder when Dignis will come up on Amazon?

Wrist strap is optional – select "NONE" in the strap dropdown :)

The Sony case (CKL-NWWM1) is quite nice as well, and I believe it comes with the 1Z (I purchased it separately for my 1A).

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #9,486 of 45,723

Actually there are, from third-party sellers but for different products, not yet for wm1 but expect higher price point.  Btw Wrist strap can be excluded but the shipping fee is quite a hit. 

I found this from previous post, this might be budget friendly, case + screen protector https://world.taobao.com/item/542493732706.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700846.0.0.bZcW83&_u=enc4he3000b (I actually like the Clear ver.)

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #9,488 of 45,723
I guess I will chime in the very exciting debate that has animated this thread. I am always skeptical when people say they hear night and day differences between high end DAPs. I don't hear night and days differences between any high end sources, always subtle ones. Unless there is a technically mismatch creating hiss, or an impedance problem changing the sound, all these sources have great DACs and can amplify iems very well. There will be subtle differences on sound signature but they do play the same music. If you hear night and day differences, please check you are listening to the same track.

The largest difference in my current sources (outside of the Tera) to me would be between Mojo and WM1Z, as their signatures are drastically different. I know I would hear these in a blind test (or at least hope so).

Concerning the 1A / 1Z difference, of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. When I repeatedly tested them side by side together with the AK380, I was really hard pressed to hear a difference. After an hour of critical listening, I thought I identified an edge in layering on the 1Z, but honestly I really wouldn't bet I could tell the difference in a blind test. Yes I still chose the 1Z, but that was more because I of the whole package including capacity.

MY OPINION is that, I am not sure that a blind test would result in such "night and day" results.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #9,489 of 45,723
I don't know what jamato8 means by hearing compression in loud passages, at least I don't heard any mp3 artifacts like I did with the nwz - A17 (flac only) when a big chorus sang together.

It has a very clean output even with complex passages like church reverb and choir singing all together, there's no warble no chirp no metallic effects of any sort in the WM1A output (mine with 466h)

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #9,490 of 45,723
I don't know what @jamato8 means by hearing compression in loud passages, at least I don't heard any mp3 artifacts like I did with the nwz - A17 (flac only) when a big chorus sang together.

It has a very clean output even with complex passages like church reverb and choir singing all together, there's no warble no chirp no metallic effects of any sort in the WM1A output (mine with 466h)

Please read what I wrote. I stated this was with headphones. To clarify, not IEM's but regular headphones on louder rock or classical. What I hear, is a bit of distortion and compression because it doesn't have quite the headroom for this louder more demanding music with my HE1000 v2 or the Utopia. That doesn't mean the 1A isn't good or that it can't handle music of a complex and dynamic nature, I merely am stating what I have heard. If no one else experiences this great. It is no big deal. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #9,491 of 45,723

Please read what I wrote. I stated this was with headphones. To clarify, not IEM's but regular headphones on louder rock or classical. What I hear, is a bit of distortion and compression because it doesn't have quite the headroom for this louder more demanding music with my HE1000 v2 or the Utopia. That doesn't mean the 1A isn't good or that it can't handle music of a complex and dynamic nature, I merely am stating what I have heard. If no one else experiences this great. It is no big deal. 

What you said clearly makes sense, I could hear the sound being compressed with Elear on 1a high gain with almost max vol while QP1R could get even louder without sounding compressed or distorted. QP1R's limit is actually with Audeze LCD4 where I could hear it obviously.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #9,492 of 45,723

I think XBA-Z5 are already demanding IEM for how they sounded with ZX100 and how they sound now on the 1A (they need power to sound well) and yeah
tongue.gif
​ fiddling with them to proper position the bore of the tip on my Canals so i get all the clarity :D

I love my WM1A but yeah i need to grab these MDR-Z7 and push them to louder volumes with some hellish Mozart symphonies or other loud music to see if i can ehar the distortion

I didn't counter say you, but just wanted to point how bad previous Hi-res walkmen were to the point on distorting high frequencies, and was easily audible AS YOU SAY DISTORTION soy i knew what you meant. perhaps in the 1A is Heard some disortion but casuality i  haven't Heard it. need to test this with a symphony perhaps on it's max peak, i know some of my Mozart CDs for this so i wll switch to Z7 and try out.

But perhaps YOU ARE HEARING CLIPPING HA! you are MAXING THE DAC CAPABILITES HA! according to Wikipedia about on clipping, theorizing you are driving it to MAX volumen or almost MAX on H gain?

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #9,493 of 45,723

don't mind geremlx , he obviously has not heard the TOTL daps you have and he is , as always, over-enthusiastic about his new toy wm1a

can you tell  if wm1a would be fine for use with ciems only ? i don't have any full HP so i want to use it only with ciems 

also how is wm1a compared to the dx80 , which i remember you own ?

thanx for any feedback

cheers

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #9,494 of 45,723
don't mind geremlx , he obviously has not heard the TOTL daps you have and he is , as always, over-enthusiastic about his new toy wm1a

can you tell  if wm1a would be fine for use with ciems only ? i don't have any full HP so i want to use it only with ciems 

also how is wm1a compared to the dx80 , which i remember you own ?

thanx for any feedback

cheers

I don't see any problem in using new WM Walkman with CIEMS, it has normal gain for that. It would be a huge step up from Zx2 and extend your limit of getting harder to drive multi BA in ears as well :)

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #9,495 of 45,723
I'm very sure geremlx will throw away her WM1A when she tried the WM1Z. Lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back