SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #9,436 of 45,723
  I have a friend who has the 1Z, and another who has the 1A. When we sit down to to A/B tests, the difference between the two units can be as extreme as night and day. That said, I would argue that said difference lies more in its signature, than actual technicality (the 1Z has slightly more detail resolution, which may be hidden by that lusher signature). 

That happened to me when I sat down and listened to 1z at least 3 times at Canjam, really addicted to this sound and got goosebumps, not with my 1a...

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #9,437 of 45,723
  I have a friend who has the 1Z, and another who has the 1A. When we sit down to to A/B tests, the difference between the two units can be as extreme as night and day. That said, I would argue that said difference lies more in its signature, than actual technicality (the 1Z has slightly more detail resolution, which may be hidden by that lusher signature). 

Your opinion is respected. My hearing is fine, however. I hear 16kHz quite well, which is quite remarkable at my age. I am not interested in buying any more phones at this time. I am very happy with the ones I own. They are all very high quality phones that are highly regarded. I am very happy with them.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #9,438 of 45,723
Chill and enjoy music

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #9,440 of 45,723

Chill and enjoy music

Yep...

​what i am doing right now enjoying some opera sinfonias and intermezzi... in 16/44. with Z7s and SE
biggrin.gif
 and seeing some argument going on
popcorn.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #9,441 of 45,723
What any given person say he hears can not be argued, that is by default a fact for that person. As long as that is stated as personal experience/feeling I don't see why that should cause anybody offence. The problem comes when somebody translates personal feelings to being objective facts for everybody.

I tend over time to find people who express similar experiences with other gear I have also tried to my experience as it is then reasonably likely that I would experience what they do with new gear I have not tried and might not be able to try so as to make a reasonably informed "blind" purchase.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #9,442 of 45,723
It's pretty simple, TenderTendon doesn't hear a difference. No need to insult the man. Doesn't mean he has bad hearing, that he's old, too old, etc. He just doesn't hear a difference. More power to him, he can enjoy the 1a and save money too.

Not sure what the problem here is. Many times I've not heard outrageous claims, and even simple ones... Just enjoy what you have, that's all that matters guys.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #9,443 of 45,723
It's pretty simple, @TenderTendon doesn't hear a difference. No need to insult the man. Doesn't mean he has bad hearing, that he's old, too old, etc. He just doesn't hear a difference. More power to him, he can enjoy the 1a and save money too.

Not sure what the problem here is. Many times I've not heard outrageous claims, and even simple ones... Just enjoy what you have, that's all that matters guys.

I think I was stating my opinion but got attacked many times, I own both qp1r and wm1a. To each his own if you dont agree

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #9,445 of 45,723

​what i am doing right now enjoying some opera sinfonias and intermezzi... in 16/44. with Z7s and SE
biggrin.gif
 and seeing some argument going on
popcorn.gif

I was listening to the Seattle Symphony perform Thus Spake Zarathustra. At 4:09, a pipe organ comes in with a 22 Hz pipe. With the 1A/Z and SE846's, this can be felt in my knees and even my feet if loud enough. Amazing! The SE846 has a very impressive LF extension. With the Z7, I can feel it in my back, but it doesn't make it down my legs. With the HD800S, I barely feel it in my head.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #9,446 of 45,723
Lol guys chill out. I don't know why people keep shouting louder and louder and argue when its not gonna change another person's opinion on the matter. It becomes a pissing contest. I mean if one person thinks 1a and 1z sound the same.....more power to them. They don't have to spend another 2k. If someone really hears something different that's fine too. What I know is you will never convince the other that your preference is right over them, no matter how much you berate them.

People don't realize why they are on this forum. Its to help you and others enjoy music. Not to get a feeling of self importance that your opinion is respected. If you don't like it, just move on and find something you like! That's why there are so many audio products and choices! Also make friends with people that have similar tastes they like.

As for the 1a/1z, Yes they do sound different, but not to the point where I would say its night and day. Its like putting a gumby vs yggy. Most people fail the blind test, and many choose the gumby for its slightly more warmer signature. I'm not saying that you will fail the blind test in the 1a/1z, but the difference is a subtle one. Now is that subtleness worth 2k more? If its the difference between feeling emotionally involved to listening analytically....Yes I recommend it...if price is not an issue. I wonder if they came up with some wonder black metal and marked the price of the  1a above the 1z, and pushed all their gushing about the materials and cables and such.....if most people would choose the 1Z over it. 

You just have to know what works for you and filter out the lot of opinions that don't work for you on head-fi...its just due to having so many people.

I think people have to realize its not about having all the most expensive components, but its synergy. Just because you buy all the most expensive clothes for each part, doesn't mean when you wear them all together.....its gonna end in a pretty picture. Just like you mix and match clothes, some work better with others. There is no real better but more of knowing your own style and how to carry yourself. That said, sometimes one's taste may be bad. Just filter it out if you don't agree.

That said......for me I can't take people who like the QP1R seriously. The UI is really hot garbage. Never seen anything at that price point with such a crap UI, that fiddly stupid wheel, and to be honest it doesn't look that great in person either. The sound is mediocre at best. Alot of people said the andromedas + QP1R were a good match.....No it is a terrible match....high noise floor, thin sound, extremely sterile. I think people think of seperation, fast decay leads to better clarity, and better technicalities, but this is not true. On the QP1R, there is a huge weakness in microdynamics. Its very easy to hear when you hear drum hits and cymbal hits on any track. Or any orchestral piece...just sounds sterile...it has macro detail, but no microdetail. To put it ahead of something from Sony that has immense microdetail, but smaller soundstage.......would not call it close. It depends what you value. I tend to like the microdetail and nuances, so I like products that have the capability to do it. If someone can't hear that, I have no interest in chasing them calling them a half-dead cretin. Or a Chord fan boy Lol....isn't even worth spending the energy to argue. 

Most people can't hear anything. Even if they are musicians, because tbh there are a lot of bad musicians in the world. But I realize that I'm not gonna convince them to change so, there is no point getting worked up. just form your opinion and buy the gear right for you. 

This is why I don't post on head-fi or care for audio so much. I just take a listen for myself, and decide what I like and am willing to purchase. BTW Hugo 2.....overrated/overpriced....but that's just my opinion.

Don't take things so seriously Lol.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #9,447 of 45,723
Guys, everyone hear differently, and like nc8000 stated above. Whatever they hear out of the same gears will become the facts for themselves. Just as long as they are enjoying the same gears as you are, consider yourself lucky to have another person who can share the similar interest. Period.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #9,449 of 45,723
You continue throwing around the word "opinion", but you don't appear to understand what it means. When it comes to opinions, no one is wrong or right. You do understand this, don't you? Also, you don't appear to be able to express an opinion. For example, you state things like "but the 1z obviously is better". That comes across as a factual statement, but you are basing that on nothing but opinions. If you want to give an opinion, you have to include things like "I think", "To me, it sounds like", "I feel". Including words like these present you as a person giving a respectful opinion instead of an arrogant know-it-all. I gave my respectful opinion and you respond  that I am old and deaf. How do expect anyone to take you seriously acting like this?
ok you are right 1a and 1z sounds the same, now is right for you? , you came here saying things that are not true to me then you call me a child and in your profile says "old fart" so i tought oooo is old maybe is earing problems, and for saying that i don't have maners etc , get real man what i know based in earing both every days is that the 1Z sounds better than the 1A period...is that enough for you or you need to come here to listen?and no i don't know it all , i don't have 35 years of experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back