SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #9,421 of 45,723
Each time you post poedros I feel like I'm seeing a subliminal message asking me if you can borrow my wm1a @_@
Trust me if you don't use or need the streaming or video playback, you gonna love the wm1. And since you are part of the EE fam already and also wanna try the Zeus one day, you need the much lower noise floor of the wm1 series haha. It's time to pass the zx2 onwards my friend

i am already grateful to you with the whole zx2 thing , i would not ask anyone here to borrow me their 1000$ DAP

i am waiting next week the idsd micro black label for a 10-day demo tryout , so not buying anything yet atm 

as for the zeus , well 2500$ is too much , i may end up saving up for a se5ult which has been my 'want to try' ciem for quite sometime

no money now for any buys , so we shall sit and meditate patiently (ommmmmmmmmmm)

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #9,422 of 45,723
Really? I have been listening to the 1A/1Z side by side for over 2 weeks now, and they sound exactly the same to me. I have been a musician for over 35 years and have been recording/mastering for almost as long. My hearing is very good.
To me they sound diferent, the voices have more body the soundstage is more 3D the instruments are more real, to me theres no doubt about it,maybe you have to change the headphones, don't get me wrong but with so many bad recorded music that is made be good earing guys being a recording/mastering Engineer does not tell me anything

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #9,423 of 45,723
Getting my Norn Therium 8 cable back this upcoming new week, reterminated to 4.4mm. The prodigal son returns!

Staying on the Wm1a for now, can't wait to try it out with the MrSpeakers Aeon in April at the UK headfi meet (also got one pre-ordered). No doubt there will be a WM1Z at Canjam London where I can compare both and see which I prefer with the Aeon and the Zeus R.
musicday will you be coming to the meet too? You're more than welcomed to try my wm1a there. Highly likely someone else will have one and even the wm1z maybe yeah? :)

Hi, I would like to come but is quite far for me to travel.
But if you ever around London we can meet and you can try my Tera Player and my modified Koss Porta Pro headphones.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #9,424 of 45,723
That will be a great cable pairing.
Will retain the room-filling lows and extends the highs.

Which i am waiting for my Gold silver alloy cable from Effect Audio to be ready for collection.

I am currently using 4.4mm Kimber Kable which i felt didnt go high enough for my liking.

How much is the Effect cables ? What is the name of it ?

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #9,425 of 45,723
Feb 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #9,428 of 45,723
I have both, if you are fine with Ui and battery on qp1r, its not worth spending on 1a. I only got it because it pairs well with my iem and good battery for daily use outside. 1a is lacking behind in Sq. If you can, get 1z instead.

good pairing even on se

i own both before but sold qp1r. i think it is not fair to say which is better but depending on your listening taste. qp1r win on detail and accuracy dry vocal comparing to wm1a. wm1a win on emotional vocal and more natural presentation (detail abit more like lump together comparing to qp1r).

with wm1a i can keep the player playing whole day working and just pick up earphone for listening whenever free. battery seems lasting forever :wink:

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #9,429 of 45,723
i own both before but sold qp1r. i think it is not fair to say which is better but depending on your listening taste. qp1r win on detail and accuracy dry vocal comparing to wm1a. wm1a win on emotional vocal and more natural presentation (detail abit more like lump together comparing to qp1r).

with wm1a i can keep the player playing whole day working and just pick up earphone for listening whenever free. battery seems lasting forever
wink.gif

You are correct, I prefer detail and accuracy, reference kind of sound; However, 1a does offer this emotional vocal and softer sound which pairs well with some of my bright iems. I still keep both because of how great qp1r does to my fullsize hp.

Q1pr has better layering, more spacious - airy stage and bass hits deeper and well controlled compared to 1a. qp1r does not pair that well with sensitive iem and it is its biggest minus. The pairing with my Pristine as also being mentioned by Steven that either leading me to the road of hell or heaven because they are both overkill for accuracy...oh well,  I have been encountering hell too much with my recording so I opted to a more friendly solution - 1a . 

"http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0416/Hum_Pristine_Reference_Custom_In_Ear_Monitors_Review.htm

1a is no doubt a perfect portable solution (1a is a bit heavier than qp1r with case btw)...

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #9,430 of 45,723
Good choice :) I love silver-gold alloy the best to my ears and gears

Thanks. I tried their copper, silver and only gold-silver can wow me and satisfied my needs.

Tried it at canjam, amazed by what it did to my Pristine, simply Wow

Yes first time i tried, i was wow by it too. It ticks all the right box for me.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #9,431 of 45,723
To me they sound diferent, the voices have more body the soundstage is more 3D the instruments are more real, to me theres no doubt about it,maybe you have to change the headphones, don't get me wrong but with so many bad recorded music that is made be good earing guys being a recording/mastering Engineer does not tell me anything

I stated that they sound exactly the same to me. That is absolutely correct. Please respect the opinions of others the way you want you opinions to be respected.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #9,432 of 45,723
gearofwar said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif You are correct, I prefer detail and accuracy, reference kind of sound; However, 1a does offer this emotional vocal and softer sound which pairs well with some of my bright iems. I still keep both because of how great qp1r does to my fullsize hp.

Q1pr has better layering, more spacious - airy stage and bass hits deeper and well controlled compared to 1a. qp1r does not pair that well with sensitive iem and it is its biggest minus. The pairing with my Pristine as also being mentioned by Steven that either leading me to the road of hell or heaven because they are both overkill for accuracy...oh well,  I have been encountering hell too much with my recording so I opted to a more friendly solution - 1a . 

"http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0416/Hum_Pristine_Reference_Custom_In_Ear_Monitors_Review.htm

1a is no doubt a perfect portable solution (1a is a bit heavier than qp1r with case btw)...

I don´t read your recommendations anymore as you sound somehow odd, you contradict your self too often like the Bible does to itself, First you say it sounds bad against the QPR and now you saw ah No , you are correct sir, it sounds nice... come on...

Please be conciely, I rated the ZX100 bad because i got a bad unit but no doubt it sounded nice to me.

Don't know if you like natural presentation or not is question of tastes but i do as classical music matters to me

If you don't like the |A then why you didn't sold it? or why you say it pairs nice with some Headphones?

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #9,433 of 45,723
  I don´t read your recommendations anymore as you sound somehow odd, you contradict your self too often like the Bible does to itself, First you say it sounds bad against the QPR and now you saw ah No , you are correct sir, it sounds nice... come on...

Please be conciely, I rated the ZX100 bad because i got a bad unit but no doubt it sounded nice to me.

Don't know if you like natural presentation or not is question of tastes but i do as classical music matters to me

If you don't like the |A then why you didn't sold it? or why you say it pairs nice with some Headphones?

Didn't I say that 1a is better portable solution (battery, UI, softer sound for bright iem) and QP1R is better for full size hp and bad with my bright iem especially synergy? Does it mean 1A is better than QP1R in term of SQ? No. I can listen to a MDR Z7 because its easy to listen and prefer it to HD800 but does this mean Z7 is better than HD800? NO. Matter of personal preference. 

QP1R is technically better than 1A but it doesn't have the right synergy with my iem. When pairing (I have over 10,000 songs on my sd cards from many different genres and format), QP1R + Hum pristine is a killer combo for accuracy because they pretty much reveal everything and sometimes it's not easy to listen when you have so many different genres and format. Since you have only Classical then it's fine but I can tell you that QP1R is better with Classical genre. 

A bright hp might pair well with 1A while a dark , muddy hp like sony z7 z5 might be best with qp1r because in technical lvl, QP1R is better than 1A. Is that clear? if you couldn't understand this then the problem is you. I don't need you to listen to me or agree btw. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #9,434 of 45,723
I thing this dual-layer dielectric cappacitor first used in zx2, and found it's way into WM1 series had made some magic in retaining the neutrality of zx100 and adding some nice body and weight to the sound, but there muts be a secret in hte WM1 to sound natural

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #9,435 of 45,723
I have a friend who has the 1Z, and another who has the 1A. When we sit down to to A/B tests, the difference between the two units can be as extreme as night and day. That said, I would argue that said difference lies more in its signature, than actual technicality (the 1Z has slightly more detail resolution, which may be hidden by that lusher signature). 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back