Sony MH1 R&D Story ...and discussion.
Nov 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #106 of 244
whats the problem with the bass? and that blog.. whats that 6db argument about?  what i am hearing is a very nice sounding iem.  jezuz.

its so easy to enjoy a simple, cheap and fun iem and what whe get? the 6db argument.. man...

ClioEs, yes,  you should claim all those missing checks from Sony
wink_face.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #107 of 244
Quote:
whats the problem with the bass? and that blog.. whats that 6db argument about?  what i am hearing is a very nice sounding iem.  jezuz.

its so easy to enjoy a simple, cheap and fun iem and what whe get? the 6db argument.. man...

ClioEs, yes,  you should claim all those missing checks from Sony
wink_face.gif

Yeah I have no idea what Rin is saying for the most part. Can someone translate to colloquial english please? =)

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #108 of 244
Quote:
Yeah I have no idea what Rin is saying for the most part. Can someone translate to colloquial english please? =)

This post is more of the sort of explanation that us mortals could understand, taken from another thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621602/heir-audio-4-ai-appreciation-impression-review-thread/1365#post_8845845

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #110 of 244
Just got these for $22, these certainly do sound great for its price, however I've found out that the left side(the side with the mic) on my pair has some pretty severe driver flex issue, there is nearly no sound when I get a seal, that being said I am not too happy about my purchase, it is impossible for me to get a refund/replacement either.
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #112 of 244
Quote:
Just got these for $22, these certainly do sound great for its price, however I've found out that the left side(the side with the mic) on my pair has some pretty severe driver flex issue, there is nearly no sound when I get a seal, that being said I am not too happy about my purchase, it is impossible for me to get a refund/replacement either.
frown.gif

wiggle it around a bit.
or force it to one side.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #114 of 244
Quote:
I'm asking here because it's a discussion related to the actual R&D story and because I have read his other articles, some multiple times, and I do not understand what he's trying to say.   Obviously I lack the prerequisite knowledge to be involved in the discussion in depth, but his articles read like something written by Star Trek characters trying to convince me I can't possibly go past warp 5.  I was hoping that for example someone could explain things in plain English to begin with, otherwise the only thing I understood is that he thinks the entire industry is either incompetent or dishonest or both, and that he has an axe to grind because no one would send him any samples to review.  I work in the video games industry and I certainly am familiar with marketing gimmicks and the things they do to gain favorable reviews, but the level of maturity displayed on that blog alone would be reason enough for me not to send him any samples.  Case in point his attack on ClieOS is totally uncalled for and the tone of his article does not in any way suggests he wants to engage in an open and honest discussion starting on grounds of mutual respect.  Obviously this is influenced by what he thinks is essentially Mr. Sead being a paid marketing guy so I can understand where he's coming from, but I think if he doesn't really want to change the establishment's minds then perhaps he's better off making his own customs to prove the point.  I'm sure most of us, including ClieOS, would happily gush over it if provided with free samples.

That is exactly how I felt when I was reading his article. Anyway it helped me in a way, as after finished reading article, I searched for other articles to get knowledge to deciper what he wanted to say, and it happend that he just wanted to say that he's disagree with CLIEOS, in a fancy sounding way.

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #115 of 244
Pozdrav Seade! Hello Sead!

First of all, thank you for make possible for all of us to enjoy mh1-mh1c, and also for good R&D article.

My question is, from diagrams I saw in your article, is it one of the biggest problems in IEM design, is resonance, I mean, unwanted ones.

Is it there scientific ways to lower resonance, to lower spikes on diagrams, to make real frequency response closer to reference one? or is it still hit or run process?

Is there some kind of filters (or whatever their name is), air canals/chambers, etc that can help? Or is that characteristic of certain driver?

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #116 of 244
That is exactly how I felt when I was reading his article. Anyway it helped me in a way, as after finished reading article, I searched for other articles to get knowledge to deciper what he wanted to say, and it happend that he just wanted to say that he's disagree with CLIEOS, in a fancy sounding way.

I have no problem with other disagreeing my opinion. I'll welcome it. But if that's his real intention, I'll have to say that he really need to write in a more coherent way :wink:

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #117 of 244
I have no problem with other disagreeing my opinion. I'll welcome it. But if that's his real intention, I'll have to say that he really need to write in a more coherent way
wink.gif

Even though you've mentioned you're open to criticism, the later posts here seem to indicate otherwise to Rin's case (taking a stab at his writing). Yes, Rin writes in technical terms that for certain users it can be hard to follow, but he is quite coherent in what he says, though at times it can be open to interpretation (as it can be with writing in general). He disagrees with some tuning approaches taken and then is skeptical after your positive review which was released in conjunction with the article. Skepticism like this should be welcomed, despite disagreement. The MH1 actually shows to perform well overall in his analysis, minus the bass. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #118 of 244
 Even though you've mentioned you're open to criticism, the later posts here seem to indicate otherwise to Rin's case. Yes, Rin writes in technical terms that for certain users it can be hard to follow, but he is quite coherent in what he says, though at times it can be open to interpretation (as it can be with writing in general). He disagrees with some tuning approaches taken and then is skeptical after your positive review which was released in conjunction with the article. Skepticism like this should be welcomed, despite disagreement. The MH1 actually shows to perform well overall in his analysis, minus the bass. 

I think you are confusing 'open to criticism' with 'must agree to another person's opinion'. I have no problem if Rin find the 6dB to be problematic, I merely provide the reason why I think a 6dB bass bump shouldn't always be an issue to all IEM all the time. Here is the posts I have made about the the 6dB theory.

I could be wrong at this since Rin's article isn't exactly normal English writing, but I think the 6dB discussion is a little blew out of proportion some time - No, I am not saying he doesn't have a good ground to make those claims, but MH1 isn't exactly tuned for reference sounding in the first place. It was supposed to strike a good balance between your average, more bass carving casual listener and those of us who are more critical in music listening. The final tuning is actually done with feedback from both musician and normal user alike, and they might or might not looking for a reference sound, but rather an more enjoyable sound. I don't think anyone can deny that there are more casual listener out there than there will be critical listeners x 100. Even among audiophiles, not everyone is looking for a reference sound and that's why not every top-end IEM / CIEM follow the same ideal curve Etymotic is using, and less so on a headset that is not trying to be reference sounding from the beginning. If there is an IEM maker claiming they have the most accurate sounding IEM in the world, then the 6dB discussion will be more relevant - or we can all start to proclaim if an IEM is not reference flat, it is not worth listening.

But then again, tuning theory is not what I have a problem with Rin - If you were called a shill when you are not, should you welcome it or defend yourself? Note that he is not being sceptical about me being a shill, he is claiming me as one (even though not in the direct wording of 'shill', but any English speaker should understand what "affiliated blog blatantly advertising the IEM" means.

Should we call DSnuts a shill as well? He posted much more recommendation over MH1C than I do. Maybe he is secretly paid by Sony, unlike me who posted PUBLICLY that I received sample from them and has been working with one of the engineer on an article? I must be the stupidest shill ever :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Rin isn't the first to call me a shill and probably won't be the last one. I have prised many other IEM before and there are other who have disagreed and called me out because of the disagreement. But there is a fine line between a person's voicing his agree/disagreement and just straight out calling another person shill because you don't share his opinion. I think as a prominent reviewer in his own right, Rin should have paid more respect to his power as a reviewer.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #119 of 244
Maybe he's still choked at Sony for not sending him that review sample or messaging back to him right away because he's so important.

anyhow on a lighter note still waiting for mine glad to see consistent impressions still.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #120 of 244
Quote:
 Even though you've mentioned you're open to criticism, the later posts here seem to indicate otherwise to Rin's case (taking a stab at his writing). Yes, Rin writes in technical terms that for certain users it can be hard to follow, but he is quite coherent in what he says, though at times it can be open to interpretation (as it can be with writing in general). He disagrees with some tuning approaches taken and then is skeptical after your positive review which was released in conjunction with the article. Skepticism like this should be welcomed, despite disagreement. The MH1 actually shows to perform well overall in his analysis, minus the bass

Then why doesn't the written opinion in his article reflect this?  His article makes the MH1C out to be utter trash?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back