Sony MDR-SA5000
Jun 13, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #17 of 41
Yes. The back lip is slighty on the air. The whole weight of that headphone rests on the cloth. Its very comfy too.

You might notice that soundstage collapses a bit, but bass and midrange gets a good boost. You might get a proper seal this way or perhaps wont, it might differ on different headshapes, but this is the way Sony designed it to be worn. Use your ears and listen where it sounds most balanced for your ears.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #18 of 41
Nice one.

Just another quick question if you don't mind, did you get yours brand new, if so did you find much change with the headphones SQ after extensive use, i.e did the burn in theory have any effect for you.

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 41
MaZa, you must really have a strange head. The sound basically gets no change what so ever if I move the headband to that position. And it feels weird.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #21 of 41
Congrats, and I hope you continue to enjoy them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, they work great on gaming sessions too; detailed and super comfy =-)

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MaZa, you must really have a strange head. The sound basically gets no change what so ever if I move the headband to that position. And it feels weird.

It isnt just about the headband, but how well the leather pads manage to seal around your ears. Because the pads have an aligned shape, the isolation changes as I align the headphone differently. The difference in sound is VERY dramatic for me. (and this is NOT an exaggeration in hifi-style, the night and day difference is very real) If you get a proper seal with pads no matter how the headband is aligned, It doesnt really matter then.

And I know what you mean that it feels wierd. Thats not how headphones are usually worn. But after a while it feets great, no solid headband pressing against your head, just a smooth cloth gently resting your hair.

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #23 of 41
Thought I would hop on this thread instead of starting a new one.

Just picked up some SA5000s and loving them so far. Different sound characteristic to my 701s, so now I have a choice in sound type as well as music type…
smily_headphones1.gif

Quick A –Bing and prefer the new Alanis Morisette album with the sonys as it just err sounded confusing or overwhelming with the 701s… if that makes sense? Sonys just cleared everything up. However I think I prefer the slightly warmer or smoother sound of the 701s for the latest elbow album. So yeah, choice is good
smily_headphones1.gif

Oddly hadn’t played about with them on my head too much, so was curious to read about MaZas comments about the positioning. Tilting them back a touch so the bars no longer rest on my head but only the mesh does, did actually improve not only their comfort, but the seal and overall sound. Good stuff. Thanks for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got them 2nd hand and they were said to be a month old with about 8 hours use. My question is; has anyone got any experience with burn in with the SA5000??

The recommended 701 burn in is 200+ hours, wondering if anyone had a rough figure for the Sonys, if not I may just leave them playing music for a week in my cupboard and call them burnt in.

Thanks
Ian

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #25 of 41
Congratulations. Sounds like you are in audio bliss! Makes me want to get a new toy too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #26 of 41
No idea how they compare, never heard any of the Denon range. Plus as you may be able to tell from my descriptions above, I'm not exactly musically trained to best describe the characteristics of differing cans.
biggrin.gif

Was bidding on some D5000s but in the end they went for too much and I wasn't overly keen on cracking them open and performing mods to get the best from them etc.

Oddly I only ended up looking for a new set of cans because my headphone amp developed a fault and had to go off for repairs, guess it caused me to start sifting through headfi and the headphone review sites again though.
So I'm waiting for that to come back before I can fully unleash these things
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MDR-SA5000 is a good headphone. The MDR-SA5000 when balanced is a phenomenal headphone. No sibilance, no etch, no fatigue, deep and taut bass....and comfortable to boot
wink.gif

I 100% agree. Recabling with balanced Moon Audio Black Dragon makes the SA5000's into a terrific all-around headphone. More bass and punch than the K701's/DT880's, and more clarity and image specificity than the HD650's. I think this is one of the more under appreciated headphones on this site. Congratulations and I am happy that you like the SA5000's!

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #28 of 41
my pair just arrived today.
these are the most comfortable fones i've ever tried, that alone is worth its purchase price.

out of box they sound pretty nice. though there is this nasalness to vocals and mids seem slightly recessed. they're not bright at all like it's claimed, i figure those people are just hearing their upstream gear. i have to say, the cord is friggin dumb, very tangle prone.

there is no decay to speak of and the bass is quite impactful though it doesn't extend very low, perfect for the music that i listen to. so far the supposed 'amazing detail' is not jumping out at me which is a good thing. although i gotta admit it sheds light on some background details that are usually more of an ambient. part i like most is the clarity of the treble. there is no fuzz or smearing.

cold and thin? i think not. mids could be meatier but i'm sure it can be fleshed out by using beefy sounding associated gear if desired.

so far with less than an hour in, i'm digging these a lot. makes me want to hear the qualia's. i'm glad they went away from the cd3k sound which were god awful. they're quite colored in that the sound of the upstream doesn't show up as much. maybe things will get more transparent with break in but i have a feeling these inject its own flavor strongly into the mix.

with the lack of distortion/shrillness i can listen with these louder than i can with other fones. not that i do, it's just worth noting that it doesn't cause ear fatigue.

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 41
Give them a good couple of days of pink noise burn in. They sounded edgy in highs and muffled in the mids out of the box to me. Far from "nice", I almost regretted my purchase, not now.
wink.gif

MaZa, thanks for a wonderful tip on proper headband positioning. With mesh at the top of the head the soundstage becomes more natural and coherent, when I was wearing it shifted forward there was something missing, like sound was coming from behind which was quite weird. Now seems like everything falls in place.

Aug 31, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 41
You people make me regret buying Grados. In a good way, though.

On a related note, has anyone tried these headphones wtih a Benchmark DAC? As a bonus, what about with a Headamp GS-X or similar balanced amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back