Sony MDR-SA5000
Jun 12, 2008 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

anadin

Headphoneus Supremus
OMG I think i've just had my first musical eargasm.

I became disillusioned with headphones after purchasing numerous amounts of headphones, none of them was right, bad sound bad fit.

I saw a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000 headphones going for a really great buy it now price I thought this is it my last throw of the dice.

I have them running through my Little Dot MK V via a KECES DA-151 USB DAC.

As I type this the hairs on the back of my neck are standing to attention, listening to the logical song by supertramp simply sounds amazing, this is what I have been looking for all along this kind of sound, it has taken me numerous amounts of different headphones and money, but boy what a buzz it is when you find the right headphone for you.

They fit amazingly well with no clamping force, beautiful leather pads surround my ears, and a sound to die for, its like strapping to sheets of glass to your ears and listening through it, simply stunning sound this is me sorted I know now what SQ I like at long last
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi riceboy good to hear from you, how are you.

Peter Gabriel sledgehammer never sounded so good, I cant stop grinning
smily_headphones1.gif

Great
smily_headphones1.gif
. I've been enjoying music like yourself with my favorite can as well.

Reading this thread puts a smile on my face. It's great when someone finds a can they enjoy so much and it couldn't have happened to a nicer member. Cheers

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #8 of 41
Sibilance is the only complaint I have, but I mostly think it's because the track is badly recorded. They sound brilliant!!! I've been through DT880, A900, PL750 and AD2000 before I found these. Brilliant!! I will buy some DT 150 and DT 250 as well as a pair of Denon D2000's to do a A&B comparison. I also remember liking my A900's very well, and will probably buy a pair of those as well to compare. Sennheiser has never been around my ears, so I might have to try a pair of them as well. I think the SA5000's are bound to be my main-phones, but I can't tell for sure until I've tried the above-mentioned. I will not sleep well until I find out
wink.gif
I think this is the feeling every head-fier has.

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 41
The MDR-SA5000 is a good headphone. The MDR-SA5000 when balanced is a phenomenal headphone. No sibilance, no etch, no fatigue, deep and taut bass....and comfortable to boot
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 41
I position it so that the cloth rests on the "bald spot", tilted slightly backwards that is. That way I get best seal and it sounds perfectly balanced, from punchy bass to clear midrange and treble. If I position it with the headband directly upwards, bass and midrange almost dissappear completely and treble is piercing and dominant. (soundstage is larger that way though, but im positive it should sound anything like that)

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 41
Haha the only "bald spot" I have on my head is my face and I can't see me wearing them there, I have a really thick head of hair and as of yet don't have any bald spots to speak of.

When you say "bald spot" could you try and use a different analogy, I don't quite understand where exactly you mean on the head.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 41
LOL!
biggrin.gif
Okay, what I meant with the bald spot is the area in mans head that usually turns bald at first when they get older. Meaning the very highest tip of your head. So tilt the headphone backwards a little bit so the headband cloth rests on that highest "will-be-bald-someday" tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back