Sony MDR-SA5000
Aug 31, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #31 of 41
SA5000 is awesome! I've been saying that all along
wink.gif
It has more potential than any HD6x0, Kx01, or DTxx0, .....

Hope SONY can come up with newer version, maybe SA7000(?), with more improvement.

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA5000 is awesome! I've been saying that all along
wink.gif
It has more potential than any HD6x0, Kx01, or DTxx0, .....

It needs alot of tweaking to bring out its bottom end though. And the stock cable is horrible, mine was a kinked-up wreak after a few months of use.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It needs alot of tweaking to bring out its bottom end though. And the stock cable is horrible, mine was a kinked-up wreak after a few months of use.

What kind of "tweaking"?
They have plenty of bottom end without any tweaking out of GS-1 paired with Stello.
Cable? 6N pure copper must be good enough, ergonomically not the best one, but not the worst either, you probably haven't seen one on Denon D2000, or dealt with v1 Zu?

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of "tweaking"?
Perhaps all you needed is a good desktop amp. They have plenty of bottom end without any tweaking out of GS-1.
Cable? 6N pure copper must be good enough, ergonomically not the best one, but not the worst either, you probably haven't seen one on Denon D2000, or dealt with v1 Zu?

It was the ergonomics that I was referring to. It was driving me mad how twisted and out of shape the cable was getting on me, just with normal use. One day I'll have to buy another pair and get them recabled to see how much difference it'll make.

SA5000 with M^3 was as close as I heard them to having satisfying bottom-end, but I still thought they lacked in that dept. Perhaps a good bassboost implementation would've done the trick for me. I'll admit I'm a closet basshead
L3000.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #35 of 41
i was watching a movie trailer the other day and the presentation of the sound was amazing. so i popped in a dvd and the results were great. vocal clarity is its best trait. there isn't really a headstage which works for me because i find the surround effect really annoying with headphones. i don't normally watch movies through headphones because the sound is more of an afterthought for me but i might try others now...

for music, it's too clean sounding for electric guitar and other distortion based sounds because there's no fuzz, but that's not my staple so i can live with not hearing garble and tizz.

at first the sound was kind of hard and congealed, now after a full day of running the sound flows more fluidly, not that drastic but noticeable.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #39 of 41
If i hadnt come to Head-fi ..i wouldnt have known Sony makes these types of headphones also.

Hey i heard these SA 5000 are like $1000++ ?
how much are they?

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #40 of 41
New they are around $450 IIRC. Used they go for around $300. The mightily expensive headphones are either the Qualia ($3000+) or the MDR-R10 "The King" ($5000+).

May 24, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #41 of 41

The same thing happened to me I feel these are the poor man's Senn HD800 for they sound like a thousand dollars headphones ... at 300 to 400 dollars and they have metal in their construction... sorry I bought a Grado 325is (but no, I don't sell them).
x2 here
Quote:
OMG I think i've just had my first musical eargasm.

I became disillusioned with headphones after purchasing numerous amounts of headphones, none of them was right, bad sound bad fit.

I saw a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000 headphones going for a really great buy it now price I thought this is it my last throw of the dice.

I have them running through my Little Dot MK V via a KECES DA-151 USB DAC.

As I type this the hairs on the back of my neck are standing to attention, listening to the logical song by supertramp simply sounds amazing, this is what I have been looking for all along this kind of sound, it has taken me numerous amounts of different headphones and money, but boy what a buzz it is when you find the right headphone for you.

They fit amazingly well with no clamping force, beautiful leather pads surround my ears, and a sound to die for, its like strapping to sheets of glass to your ears and listening through it, simply stunning sound this is me sorted I know now what SQ I like at long last
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back