Sony MDR-SA 5000 - A detail lover's paradise?
Feb 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 77
Quote:
I have always liked the SA5k, and "earspeaker" designs from that era in general.  They need the right amp and source though.... "edgy / shouty" setups are BRUTAL with the SA5K, imho.  SA5K and headamp GS-1 with a warm source is a great sounding combo.

thx for the tip! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #17 of 77
observation # 2

been listening to some drum and bass and im impressed by excellent bass extension ... the best extension i've heard so far too .. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #18 of 77
I've looked at the frequency response and there is a concave suckout in the midbass area, if I described that right. I bet that contributes to the "cold" signature people describe. Would love to get these to mod them and use them on a warm tube amp.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #19 of 77
I've looked at the frequency response and there is a concave suckout in the midbass area, if I described that right. I bet that contributes to the "cold" signature people describe

the bass is tight .. i love the mid-bass impact.. its subtle >I would call it 'perfect' in so many ways but craving for more is a possibility. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #20 of 77
There is a bit of a peak in the bass at the low end which would give nice impact. I've never had a chance to hear them myself though.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #21 of 77
observation #3

very close to no-sibilance.. 

in comparison to my other cans, these have some of the most sibilance-free sound I've heard so far  .best I would rate the sibilance in fractional quantities with 1 being the highest and most annoying.

1. GH-ERC-DMS ( Brainwavz B2 clones) - with silicone tips - 1/1 & with comply foams - 0.5/1
2. Shure se-535  - with silicone tips - 0.5/1 & with shure olives - 0.25/1(treble sacrificed)
3. Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro - 0.5/1
4. Sony MDR-SA5000 - 0.2/1
5. Hifiman re-272 - 0.25/1

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #22 of 77
Sony used to be awesome. Then economic recession and Beats came. The SA5000 is the last truly flagship level headphone that Sony made up until now I think. I hope they return to making luxury flagships like R10 and 010 soon, they are definitely capable. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #23 of 77
I wish I had the budget to buy a pair but stock is about gone and they run $400-500. I'm poor and can only afford half that much after I get my tax check, too many bills...

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #24 of 77
right now Im listening to Burial - Homeless.flac .... and I've to say they are extremely fast(in comparison to the 990 Pros) and the transient response is killer ... 
I think clarity wise these are second to none in my book of headphones ..the re-272 comes close but is not as resolving nor transparent / another good contender would be the srh-940 ...

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #25 of 77
Quote:
Sony used to be awesome. Then economic recession and Beats came. The SA5000 is the last truly flagship level headphone that Sony made up until now I think. I hope they return to making luxury flagships like R10 and 010 soon, they are definitely capable. 

sony is still awesome ... I think their cameras are pretty amazing .. the nex 5n holds great value. the rx-100 has been included in the time magazine - innovations of the century(decade?) list of last year

the mdr-ex 1000 is a great iem as well .. their soundstage is the best I've so far heard in any iem...

I am not very sure if you classify the MH1c by sony to be a sony or a sony ericsson product.. but thats some of the best value I've come across and easily the shortest step one can have to good audio ...

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #26 of 77
I don't know, Sony does seem like they still make good stuff, but they never get the best sales figures which are all that really matter in the end. They are no longer as dominant in the consumer market as they used to be, at least not in my home country. Back then Sony was all the rage, now Apple, Samsung, LG, Canon, Nikon, Beats, etc. are taking over everything that Sony used to excel at: TVs, laptops, home theater, cameras, audio/headphones, etc.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #27 of 77
does anyone have any idea on the history of these headphones .. I would like to dig up some graves! if at all you do get some spare time please help into creating a small dedicated thread to these cans that have solved all my cravings for a 'great' headphone without bursting my wallet .. im pretty sure i wont be bit again by the 'upgrade' bug atleast not till im old.. 

http://headfonics.com/2012/07/sony-sa5000-sony-analytical-ye/

above is one very nice and elaborate review from headfonics ..

funny this review was posted on my birthday ( coincident ? )

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #28 of 77
Its history pre-dates my head-fi forum involvement.  You have to go back to probably 2002-2003 time frame in Japan to get the details of its development.

Heres some commentary in Japanese from ~2004.  I'm guessing some of the measurements and graph plots pre-date the article to some degree.  If you stretch that time span a little bit, ~2001 is right about the time they discontinued the MDR-F1 *I think*.  So I think Sony's earspeaker concept stems from the F1.

http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/mdr-sa5000.html

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #29 of 77
Sony was experimenting with cellulose drivers at that time. Qualia was the first, MDR-SA5000/SA3000 were more affordable mass produced siblings.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/568977/qualia-010-sa5000-and-sa3000-comparison-pics

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #30 of 77
^ thanks ...theres some comparisons made to the HD-800 .. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back