Sony MDR-SA 5000 - A detail lover's paradise?
Feb 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #76 of 77
observation # 6 

they need power ..and they are very dependant on  source and amp ..

I wrongly posted my below impressions in another thread 

"What a fool am I, I was just using the amp section of the FIIO e7 with the sony that is laptop headphone out to FIIO line-in to SA-5k - the sound even though detailed was not energetic - extremely cold and distant .. like a veil..

and now I've discovered the powerful DAC inside the E7 and its pretty amazing with the SA-5k! the veil is completely removed ..and the sound is much more bright and delicious. Oh the bass on these are just so amazingly clear- with a bling bling! .. The song  futile devices by sufjan stevens - mixed by shigeto is a testament to the bass definition and clarity..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNu1imKFR0

The Maverick Audio Tube- Magic A1 just really kicked up the dynamics and the overall sound of the SA-5k! the synergy was good and the overall sound was spectacular especially for metal(like Necrophagist). The mids were in its 'place' and not overly done like how my receiver used to screw with it..making it shouty and sometimes annoying.."

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #77 of 77
Now I am wondering may be a MDR CD-3000 ? or should I upgrade my source / amp ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back