Sony MDR-SA 5000 - A detail lover's paradise?
Feb 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

ayaflo

Formerly known as turgid & facilitator.
I just been listening close to 8 hours straight on this y'all ...ever heard one of these? let me open the can here... BYOSA5K!
very_evil_smiley.gif
... if you live in the 'highs', may be there is not much to further look at.. 

Can't put this up in any review or product thread - due to the upgrade cable - 7N occ that these cans came recabled with... the sound is absolutely delicious and provide top-notch clarity...the funny part? - they are low impedance(70 ohms) and can run out of an ipod/laptop... the drivers are angled and provide spectacular imaging.. so far I find the sound more detailed than even the yamaha hs-50 m... these are some of the best cans I've put on my ears ..

Bravo Sony - sometimes you are just right - MAKE.BELIEVE

impressions about sound to follow - but at the moment .........................

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 77
-reserved-

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 77
observation # 1

They remind me of the SRH-940 a lot... but with much more low end impact .. 

I can't really compare the soundstage.. I will be commenting via memory of my SRH-940 audition ..

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 77
Lol! Yeah there are a few threads from awhile back about these. They are now discontinued and stock is almost dried up everywhere. Only found a couple places they are still listed online. Some people have modded these.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 77
Yeah these are quited dated - I think they were originally released around 2001. They're nice enough if you can tolerate the coldness - personally I prefer the RS-1 to them (which are equally fast, detailed, etc (imho) - but aren't as spacious, and are much warmer). I will agree on them being spectacular given how easily driven they are, and their imaging - I just couldn't get over the frigidity. :xf_eek: Build quality and fit is among the best; really a spectacular pair of cans overall. And priced fair when they were in production. :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 77
They're nice enough if you can tolerate the coldness

I've not heard the stock cans with probably a silver cable (?) to negotiate on the cold sound

but the hifiman re-272 is much colder to my ears ... besides the sa 5000 with the 7N OCC copper I got has pretty amazing mids going ... sometimes I am reminded of my SE-535 yet not so lush nor forward ...

however they are not very musical either.. I find the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro very musical and entertaining but the treble is wild and piercing with some new age tracks irrespective of genre .. they are pretty amazing with 1970's music .. and the bass slam is damn satisfying for any bass-head so to speak...

I would also rate the bass of the SA-5000 much higher in quality than anything I've put on my ears though NOT on impact 

I think Im giving out way too much and these impressions need time to grow/stick/change .. i've clocked around 14 hours altogether on these cans 

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 77
They remind me of the SRH-940 a lot... but with much more low end impact .. 

I can't really compare the soundstage.. I will be commenting via memory of my SRH-940 audition ..

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 77
Lol! Yeah there are a few threads from awhile back about these.

if memory serves me right - the phrase(?) BYOSA5K and the "
very_evil_smiley.gif
" are both from user gsferrari's impressions around a decade back .. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 77
^^ NoICE!

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 77
what I've experienced so far are balanced armature bass which is generally very tight - and im a huge fan of TWFK dual BA - Brainwavz B2/dba-02/GH-ERC-DMS & other triple BA Shure SE-535 (which also has some amazing bass in terms of quality) ..out of which the former is pretty bright, detailed and resolving.. I find the SA-5K slightly more warm but with a better sense of accuracy & aggressiveness in the overall soundscape .. and is a class ahead in terms of refinement,imaging & resolution...

after all an IEM is an IEM and is limited in that sense ... I do not think there can be any thing that is as bright as the EX-60 LP by Sony, which is very detailed sounding but none the less annoying due to so many spikes ... 

If they aren't striking you as overcold, I think you're pretty much set with the 5k.

THANKS!! 
happy_face1.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 77
They are pretty good, but as already mentioned are on a cold, analytic side and don't convey emotions that well. Something along the line of Beyers DT880.
Take a look at ATH-W5000 if you like SA5000 details but would prefer more euphonic, warmer presentation.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 77
I have always liked the SA5k, and "earspeaker" designs from that era in general.  They need the right amp and source though.... "edgy / shouty" setups are BRUTAL with the SA5K, imho.  SA5K and headamp GS-1 with a warm source is a great sounding combo.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #15 of 77
Quote:
They are pretty good, but as already mentioned are on a cold, analytic side and don't convey emotions that well. Something along the line of Beyers DT880.
Take a look at ATH-W5000 if you like SA5000 details but would prefer more euphonic, warmer presentation.

no thanks .. I do not want any of those .. im set .. i dont want any euphonic presentation a the moment ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back