Sony mdr ex1000 or Others?
Oct 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #46 of 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt-bada /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i prefer the sm3 to the um3x also

I think the SM3 have a bit more detail, treble is better, but are leaner and vocals are a bit recessed when you compare them to a monitor like the um3x. But the um3x have better bass, it hits harder (bass lines are more clear, stronger and detailed), have more power, more body, more energy, are warmer, lively and vocals are WAY better (lush, life-like and vivid). Instrument separation is superior too. They give me a more enjoyable/involving listening experience. So, if the EX1000's are better, it will be heaven.

But of course that it all depends of the kind of music you listen to. For Jazz I think the SM3 are unbeatable (due to more refined treble), but for Pop/Rock, Metal, Chillout/Lounge, etc, the um3X are superior in pretty much every aspect. They are very musical and more adequate for enjoying music rather than monitoring, while the SM3's would be better suited for monitoring. This is just my opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary (but seems that a vast majority of members in this forum do share my opinion).

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #48 of 64

Quote:
both are very good just a matter of preference but i think the performance is very close and the sm3 soundstage is bigger!

Yes, performance is very close. It's not easy to decide between one of them. For my ears, the um3x are winners, but may not be to yours. It's really a matter of preference. Concerning soundstage, the SM3 seem to have some more reverb to me, but lose in other aspects. At the end, the result is more satisfactory with the um3X.

@bidiness, I don't think that even the Quad driver will beat the EX1000. Different things. QUAD Balanced Armature vs 16mm dynamic driver, which are closer to a full size phone. The only weakness of the EX1000, from what I read (haven't tried them yet) is bad isolation and fit. I may get a proper fit/seal, you can not eventually.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #49 of 64
Hm, I've never had fit issues and my ears are pretty damn small lol. You know you want them miow. Come to the side of the EX-men 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #50 of 64
I have no problems with the fit, there's just a bit of a learning curve to it. If you're having problems getting a seal try using larger tips. I use medium hybrids on my MD and Coppers, I have to use bigger tips with the 1000s though probably due to the shallower insertion depth.I find the isolation to be fine for day-to-day type stuff, but I'll definitely stick with the Coppers or something with similarly good isolation for mowing the lawn.

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #51 of 64

Quote:
Hm, I've never had fit issues and my ears are pretty damn small lol. You know you want them miow. Come to the side of the EX-men 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes, I do. :D Just divided by these and some great headphones. Hard decision. Can't buy both.

Nice to hear some cases of success concerning fit.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #52 of 64

Quote:
Yes, I do. :D Just divided by these and some great headphones. Hard decision. Can't buy both.

Nice to hear some cases of success concerning fit.

Well, I'll be buying the XBA4 as soon as they are available in the USA, so you can look forward to a shoot-out between those, the EX1000 and the CK100 
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #54 of 64
well ive tried my um3x with acs custom tips, the sm3 v2 with sensorcom and the ex 1000 with head direct bi flanges which make them much better, in my opinion the only thing the sm3 and the um3x do a bit better is instrument separation nothing more, ex 1000 sound much more spacious they have a bit more clarity than the um3x with the custom tips and more than the sm3,  they are more detailed than both they have a bit less bass than the um3x and more than the sm3 but quality like texture impact and extension is better while um3x bass with custom tips is quite good also and sm3 is good but tight anyway the sensation i feel is that the ex1000 are in another level and the head direct bi flanges are great for them!

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #56 of 64
i feel in the um3x  the instruments more alone, in the ex1000 i feel the sound like a whole but as I said there is more space and air between instruments so detail and especially reverb and echo are far beyond

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #57 of 64

Quote:
well ive tried my um3x with acs custom tips, the sm3 v2 with sensorcom and the ex 1000 with head direct bi flanges which make them much better, in my opinion the only thing the sm3 and the um3x do a bit better is instrument separation nothing more, ex 1000 sound much more spacious they have a bit more clarity than the um3x with the custom tips and more than the sm3,  they are more detailed than both they have a bit less bass than the um3x and more than the sm3 but quality like texture impact and extension is better while um3x bass with custom tips is quite good also and sm3 is good but tight anyway the sensation i feel is that the ex1000 are in another level and the head direct bi flanges are great for them!

Quote:
i feel in the um3x  the instruments more alone, in the ex1000 i feel the sound like a whole but as I said there is more space and air between instruments so detail and especially reverb and echo are far beyond

Nicely said. I agree on everything you said about the UM3x and EX1000.

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #58 of 64
Ditto. As far as instrument separation is concerned, the UM3X is second to none. Nonetheless, on a collective note, in terms of SQ, the EX1000 is still the most technically proficient universal I've owned to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back