Sony mdr ex1000 or Others?
Aug 31, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 64
Cool, congrats on your purchase and glad you liked them. EX1000 is slightly treble centric but it shouldn't sound screechy. If it does it might be a problem of fit. It took about a month myself to find the perfect fit by trying all the different tips and when I did, no more schreechiness and no more comfort issues =)

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #17 of 64
Quote:
I just got my EX1000's from Amazon, $324 shipped.  I've been using W4's and have tried the 535's.  I would have to drop the EX1000's right in between those two.  The 535's for me were a little too much.  The sound detail was amazing, but something about them were screechy like.  Not a technical term by any means, but they caused me some fatigue which made using them not quite as enjoyable.

The W4's are great, my favorite.  But you'll often see the term "veiled" in reference to them.  Well, for me, the EX1000's are like W4's without the veil.  They have a little more bass (in a subtly good way) and they seem a little crisper/cleaner.  If an enhanced version of the W4's came out I would expect them to sound like the EX1000's :)

So, my new favorites are the Sony's....

beerchug.gif
 Rest assured, you have one of the absolute best universals around. I've cycled through over 2 dozen universals, and the EX1000 remains the most technically proficient of them all. There are certainly a few very close seconds, but when all is said and done, I know all too well that after one listen to the EX1000's, there's just no equivalent for my ears. Regarding the treble, trust me when I say I'm not at all a fan of a treble-centric/treble-forward sound, and I find the EX1000 to be neither. If anything, it's very well balanced, albeit the presentation is ever so slightly bright, but in the very best of ways. Happy listening my friend!
smile.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #18 of 64
I just received my MDR EX-1000s a couple of days ago and I find them to be a bit hot on the treble as well, but than again I have been listening to the LCD-2s for weeks... the treble is a bit fatiguing for me :frowning2: and cymbals sound a bit screechy >.<

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #19 of 64
While I'm not doubting those who claim to find the treble to be intolerable (to varying degrees of course), maybe it's just the tracks within my collection, which, for the most part, consist of FLAC/lossless. To those very same listeners, my question is, is it exclusively the EX1000 with which the issue lies, or can you test it with any other earphone(s)? It may very well be the quality (or lack thereof) of the recording/mastering, in which case there's one too many top tiers that will expose such nuances in said recordings. I kid you not, but I cannot recall a single time I've encountered any harsh/sharp highs, unless I found the issue to be apparent irrespective of the earphones I used; in which case the recording was the culprit of course. For the record, my EX1000's were purchased brand new, and any and all burn in they endured was during my listening with them from the first day in.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 64

Quote:
While I'm not doubting those who claim to find the treble to be intolerable (to varying degrees of course), maybe it's just the tracks within my collection, which, for the most part, consist of FLAC/lossless. To those very same listeners, my question is, is it exclusively the EX1000 with which the issue lies, or can you test it with any other earphone(s)? It may very well be the quality (or lack thereof) of the recording/mastering, in which case there's one too many top tiers that will expose such nuances in said recordings. I kid you not, but I cannot recall a single time I've encountered any harsh/sharp highs, unless I found the issue to be apparent irrespective of the earphones I used; in which case the recording was the culprit of course. For the record, my EX1000's were purchased brand new, and any and all burn in they endured was during my listening with them from the first day in.

Compared to my LCD-2s (Although this probably isn't the fairest comparison), when I listen to FLAC files, its noticeably apparent that the treble is more fatiguing by varying degrees though usually its relatively minor though in 1 or 2 songs it was getting a bit on the intolerable side. Although the Sony EX-1000s are proficient detail-wise, I have to say the LCD-2 just feels much more clear and coherent sounding to me. But I do enjoy the Sony EX-1000s very much and it really isn't fair to compare the 2.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #29 of 64
Might as well wait my friend, at least until any confirmed changes in sound are announced. Else if there are no sonic changes, one can always fall back on the IE8. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back