Sony MDR-1000X
Nov 11, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #721 of 2,709
I was at the store listening to the mdr 1000x via LDAC from my Sony ZX-2 ( they had just been unpacked and charged so no hours on them )
Listened to 24/96 hi-res and 320 spodify and I must say they are quite good actually took me a bit by surprise , it's obvious the philosophy of Sony's approach to music is musicality and it shines trough the mdr 1000x

I did however feel that the mids were ever so slightly recessed but I think that with some burn in that will level out. Will most likely be my next buy :)

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #722 of 2,709
After obsessively reading (and watching) every review, comparison, and every post on this (now) 49-page thread, I finally caved and bought the MDR-1000X. During my research, I compared them with reviews of the QC35, B&W Wireless P7, B&O H7. I listened to the QC35 in a Bose store.

I've been wearing them for a few days now, and so far I've had:

1. No creaking
  2. No popping or static
  3. No imbalance between left and right
  4. No heavy/odd/vacuum sensation
  5. No bluetooth disconnection problems
  6. No problems with light wind (no more than I would consider to be completely normal and acceptable)
  7. No problems turning my head

Instead, I've been completely blown away by these headphones in every way. They are very comfy. They have *amazing* sound (WAY better than QC35). The NC is incredible. The gestures work fine. The cupping gesture is terrific.

The only slight downsides (which are not deal-breakers):

1. Around the neck they are tight; not comfortable for more than a few minutes. So if you're not wearing them, and you haven't got a bag, you're kind of stuck with what to do with them. My phone battery died on my commute home, and I ended up just continuing to wear the headphones, powered off. Felt a bit silly, but no big deal.
  2. Finding the buttons (power/NC/NC mode) is not the easiest, so it can take a couple of seconds to find the correct button (e.g. to change NC mode).
  3. Doesn't pair with more than one device at a time. So if you use 2 or more devices, you will have to go into the control panel and re-connect the MDR-1000X every time you switch to a different device. This is a known limitation, but it is a tiny bummer.
  4. It's a shame that you can't configure the auto-off (I think it is set to 5 minutes), which means they could potentially not be suitable for sleeping on long flights. As long as the source device (e.g. your iPhone) doesn't lose power, and there is a valid Bluetooth connection (even if no music is playing), the headphones will stay on. Would be nice to have an app (like QC35) where you can configure that timeout.

In summary: even though they are expensive (£330), I am over the moon with these headphones. They are AMAZING in many different --big and small-- ways. They are really thoughtfully designed and built. Anybody that says these are not premium has some very weird expectations. They are vastly better built than the QC35. The sound quality is amazing in my non-audiphile opinion, and a lot better than the QC35.

For any of you lucky enough to own these, check out these Apple Music playlists that a QC35 lover has put together. It is a really great selection of music that showcases these amazing MDR-1000X headphones:

http://rd2.io/2016/09/bose-qc35-review/
http://rd2.io/2016/09/playlist-world-needs-you/

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #723 of 2,709
After obsessively reading (and watching) every review, comparison, and every post on this (now) 49-page thread, I finally caved and bought the MDR-1000X. During my research, I compared them with reviews of the QC35, B&W Wireless P7, B&O H7. I listened to the QC35 in a Bose store.

I've been wearing them for a few days now, and so far I've had:

• No creaking
  • No popping or static
  • No imbalance between left and right
  • No heavy/odd/vacuum sensation
  • No bluetooth disconnection problems
  • No problems with light wind (no more than I would consider to be completely normal and acceptable)
  • No problems turning my head

Instead, I've been completely blown away by these headphones in every way. They are very comfy. They have *amazing* sound (WAY better than QC35). The NC is incredible. The gestures work fine. The cupping gesture is terrific.

The only slight downsides (which are not deal-breakers):

• Around the neck they are tight; not comfortable for more than a few minutes. So if you're not wearing them, and you haven't got a bag, you're kind of stuck with what to do with them. My phone battery died on my commute home, and I ended up just continuing to wear the headphones, powered off. Felt a bit silly, but no big deal.
  • Finding the buttons (power/NC/NC mode) is not the easiest, so it can take a couple of seconds to find the correct button (e.g. to change NC mode).
  • Doesn't pair with more than one device at a time. So if you use 2 or more devices, you will have to go into the control panel and re-connect the MDR-1000X every time you switch to a different device. This is a known limitation, but it is a tiny bummer.
  • It's a shame that you can't configure the auto-off (I think it is set to 5 minutes), which means they could potentially not be suitable for sleeping on long flights. As long as the source device (e.g. your iPhone) doesn't lose power, and there is a valid Bluetooth connection (even if no music is playing), the headphones will stay on. Would be nice to have an app (like QC35) where you can configure that timeout.

In summary: even though they are expensive (£330), I am over the moon with these headphones. They are AMAZING in many different --big and small-- ways. They are really thoughtfully designed and built. Anybody that says these are not premium has some very weird expectations. They are vastly better built than the QC35. The sound quality is amazing in my non-audiphile opinion, and a lot better than the QC35.

For any of you lucky enough to own these, check out these Apple Music playlists that a QC35 lover has put together. It is a really great selection of music that showcases these amazing MDR-1000X headphones:

http://rd2.io/2016/09/bose-qc35-review/
http://rd2.io/2016/09/playlist-world-needs-you/
[/

What if u switch on wired with no Music just the cable plugged In AS u Would on flights , does it still switch OFF after 5 mins ?

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #724 of 2,709
Does creaking vary from unit to unit or is it just not noticed by everyone? I tried the demo at Best Buy today and it creaked quite a bit, more than my MSR7. Sound quality is pretty good - wide soundstage with forward lower mids. Not much shimmer to the treble but it extends quite nicely.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #725 of 2,709

Listened with mine for 15 hours or so, no apparent difference so far. But it feels a little bit different from what I heard in store. Im going to give them more time to burn in and see if there is any difference. btw, using cable sounds better.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #726 of 2,709
  So I have a question about the different modes of operation for this headphone. I'm thinking about buying it for use it in all of it's modes. It might actually be sitting at my desk and be used passive on the wire most of the time. (Yes you read that right, I might buy an expensive Wireless NC headphone to use passively most of the time).

I think the MDR-1000X might suit me. Top priority is comfort as I wear headphones several hours every day, other than that I prefer headphones without too much bass. As an example I found the bass of the P7's to be too much.

So could someone tell me how the different modes differ in sound quality? I couldn't find anyone talking about all the modes earlier in the thread, I'm sorry if I missed it.

I'm talking about the following modes:

1. Bluetooth with NC
2. Bluetooth without NC
3. Wired powered with NC 
4. Wired powered without NC
5. Wired passive (power completely off)

That's all the possible ways to use it, right? Except for all the "special" NC modes but that's a bit too much to distinguish between I think.

Have tested these modes with my cans, and here is the comment:
1. BT with NC. It is the most used mode with these, and it definitely sounds great, but the bass is not so much. It might need some time to burn it. But I would say it sounds better than bose qc35 hands down.
2. BT without NC. The sound becomes a little hollow. But I don't think it is because of the sound itself, but rather the background sound when you put on an over-ear headphone. Otherwise, no major difference.
3. Wired powered with NC. I think in this mode the mdr-1000x sounds the best. The bass are noticeably better. And the sound seems clearer. If you want to take most advantages of the sq in these, this mode is perfect.
4. Wired powered without NC. Same with the second point.
5. Don't try it unless you have to(out of juice)

Hope they are helpful. :) 

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #728 of 2,709
well... just ordered them via crutchfields. I welcome myself to the club. Damn Head-fi!

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #729 of 2,709
  I was feeling around inside the cups and there is a plastic nub right where the ear goes. If I wear the headphones backwards they are way more comfortable. What a crappy design flaw. 

That's probably one of the internal mics that inputs to the ANC controller....
The Bose QC35's have the same sort of thing in the cup but it's more forward and in fact the ear-cups seem to be well designed with more room towards the back (the drivers are angled) to accommodate the back of the ear.Unless your ears are very prominent (and mine are) they won't be touching anything inside the cup (mine don't) - these things are incredibly comfortable.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #730 of 2,709
Try what I did: stuff some cotton buds in there to 'push' the pads up. Works wonders for pretty much all Sony headphones so far.

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #731 of 2,709
Does creaking vary from unit to unit or is it just not noticed by everyone? I tried the demo at Best Buy today and it creaked quite a bit, more than my MSR7. Sound quality is pretty good - wide soundstage with forward lower mids. Not much shimmer to the treble but it extends quite nicely.

Mine doesn't have this problem, or maybe I'm just not creaking it right.

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #732 of 2,709
1. BT with NC. It is the most used mode with these, and it definitely sounds great, but the bass is not so much. It might need some time to burn it. But I would say it sounds better than bose qc35 hands down.
2. BT without NC. The sound becomes a little hollow. But I don't think it is because of the sound itself, but rather the background sound when you put on an over-ear headphone. Otherwise, no major difference.
3. Wired powered with NC. I think in this mode the mdr-1000x sounds the best. The bass are noticeably better. And the sound seems clearer. If you want to take most advantages of the sq in these, this mode is perfect.

Thank you. Actually got the opportunity to try them in a store right now and I can hear what you are describing.

NC on/off made a difference but not huge. Then out if power it wasn't very fun at all.

It's a lot if money but for me they would be good enough to ode for literally everything.

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #733 of 2,709
Thank you. Actually got the opportunity to try them in a store right now and I can hear what you are describing.

NC on/off made a difference but not huge. Then out if power it wasn't very fun at all.

It's a lot if money but for me they would be good enough to ode for literally everything.

I sat with the same feeling at the store the other day when demoing them, they are quite capable especially out of a Sony device and would cover 98% of my needs that's how great they sound and how good the NC is and all the features they have

Ofcause those last 2% is the dangerous ones that tells you to buy more head-Fi stuff :)

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #734 of 2,709
Great overview @Jerryberry

Regarding the creaking sounds, I am puzzled. I really don't see how some sets might do it and others don't. There isn't much margin for difference in these materials.
In mine the sounds are not all that loud, but they are audible if the music is paused or an audiobook is running.

For instance, when I have the Z1R and hit pause, it's total silent when I move. Doing the same with the 1000X always generates a few plastic noises from the structure, that seem to get amplified by the very sealed cups somehow.

Meanwhile, he's a photo I liked. It's not mine but a friend took it and I thought it looked neat...

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #735 of 2,709

Didn't you find the bass to be toned down when using through BT without the NC? When I turn on the NC, they bass gets a noticeable bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back