Sony MDR-1000X
Mar 29, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #1,756 of 2,709
nice to see someone who has the XZ man. How is the overall headphone jack quality coming out of the XZ? Also, I reckon that quality gain is due to the LDAC which does wonders it seems to work doesnt it? it comes close to wired as far as I can tell and its a real big advantage if you own an xperia phone. Basically since LDAC is ahead of other bluetooth it makes buying an LDAC headphone a no brainer for xperia users over other brands. 

generally would you recommend the mdr1a or the 1000x?

Well first off the dac/amp combo in the XZ is superior to the one in the 1000x. I can tell you that simply because connecting the headphones via cable sounds fuller (though not by much) than via Bluetooth (LDAC).

As far as 1A vs 1000x. Depends. For portability 1000x. They sound clearer, more precise and louder, via cable or wireless, than the 1A when used with a portable player. Plus they isolate a million times better (NC). For home use with a dedicated dac/amp combo, the 1A will sound better.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,757 of 2,709
Well first off the dac/amp combo in the XZ is superior to the one in the 1000x. I can tell you that simply because connecting the headphones via cable sounds fuller (though not by much) than via Bluetooth (LDAC).

As far as 1A vs 1000x. Depends. For portability 1000x. They sound clearer, more precise and louder, via cable or wireless, than the 1A when used with a portable player. Plus they isolate a million times better (NC). For home use with a dedicated dac/amp combo, the 1A will sound better.

You are 100% correct regarding the sound of the 1A and 1000x, but my question is do you think the 1000x would benefit by having a better cable?

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #1,759 of 2,709
You are 100% correct regarding the sound of the 1A and 1000x, but my question is do you think the 1000x would benefit by having a better cable?

Cables make almost 0% difference, especially when using with a portable device. I've tried a lot of different ones when I was using the 1A as my daily driver (even bought the high end Sony one, and returned it). 

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #1,760 of 2,709
the 1a has notoriously bloated and inaccurate bass

That's not true at all. Check some reviews or listen to it yourself. The 1A does put an emphasis on the bass, however, it has a really nice, difussed, full bass. What you might be interpreting as "bloated" is the fact that the 1A is one of the very few headphones of the market that really digs deep into the sub bass, something that you basically can't hear with many high end headphones on the market. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #1,761 of 2,709
  That's not true at all. Check some reviews or listen to it yourself. The 1A does put an emphasis on the bass, however, it has a really nice, difussed, full bass. What you might be interpreting as "bloated" is the fact that the 1A is one of the very few headphones of the market that really digs deep into the sub bass, something that you basically can't hear with many high end headphones on the market. 

I found that the better the power amp pushing the 1As the better they perform.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,762 of 2,709
  I found that the better the power amp pushing the 1As the better they perform.

That's valid for virtually every headphone out there :) 

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,763 of 2,709
Of course everyone's opinion is different, but the general consensus on these forums, and on virtually every review I've seen of it is one of a bloated wooly bass presentation. The bass you hear mainly on the 1a is mid bass bleeding into the rest of the spectrum, and it is fairly ill defined as well. You want to hear nice sub bass presentation, then try the Beyer t5p gen 2. I own th 1a, and th 1000x, and the latter is better in every way, except the 1000x is slightly bulkier and heavier. You're welcome to disagree.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #1,764 of 2,709
  Cables make almost 0% difference, especially when using with a portable device. I've tried a lot of different ones when I was using the 1A as my daily driver (even bought the high end Sony one, and returned it). 

Maybe it's because the one included is great: silver-plated OFC cable isn't that bad :wink:

But usually, yes, the cable can make a big difference. Just try some "real" high end (like LCD series) with stock cable vs. anything else. You'll realize the difference almost instantly.

It's good to know tho that I have not to look for an upraded cable for 1000x!

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,765 of 2,709

I think it's more the cable that makes a difference, instead of dac/amp. I get better sound wired in my Samsung GS7 than Bluetoothed. Better sound wired in my Mac than Bluetoothed, etc. Don't forget that LDAC is still a Bluetooth way to transmit data. Even if it get more , the wired connection will always be transmiting more data.

Can you compare the 1000x wired in your XZ vs. wired in any other gear (smartphone, computer, etc.)? That would be of a great interest (for knowing what XZ's really got). Thanks.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,766 of 2,709
  I think it's more the cable that makes a difference, instead of dac/amp. I get better sound wired in my Samsung GS7 than Bluetoothed. Better sound wired in my Mac than Bluetoothed, etc. Don't forget that LDAC is still a Bluetooth way to transmit data. Even if it get more , the wired connection will always be transmiting more data.

Can you compare the 1000x wired in your XZ vs. wired in any other gear (smartphone, computer, etc.)? That would be of a great interest (for knowing what XZ's really got). Thanks.

While cables do make a small difference when it comes to high end speakers/headphones paired with high end dac/amp combos, trust me, I've tried them through and through, cables make very little difference (sony standard 1a cable vs the 100 dollar one). Unless you compare a good cable with a really ****ty chinese one. Don't believe me? Go to a high end store and try different cable on a "budget" source like every smartphone.

In my case it's definitely the dac in the XZ. Or more precisely the way it's coded plus the hi res amp (which is rarely found in other smartphones). The 1000X has a similar setup, however it does have a better high res amp (S Master HX). But it shines better when powered on and wired than bluetooth (even LDAC). 

Wired through the iPhone 7 (with the dongle adapter) it sounds thinner, les defined, less bass. This is Powered on. With smartphones (at least xz, ip 7) powered off it sounds too bland, it needs more power that way. I've no other smarphones, but I can tell you that wired (powered off) with my XPS 15 laptop directly, or with the Fiio E17K it sounds OK ish. But that's due to the DAC (laptop in built, and fiio e 17k one, which aren't great). I've read it sound amazing with a good source like the Dragonfly RED dac. Powered on, forget about it. The pre amp in built in the 1000X is only made to work with sources like a smartphone. Hook it in powered on in a powerful source (even my laptop or the fiio dac/amp), it sounds bad and distorsts, but nut due to the drivers, they don't tistort, it's a artifact/digital distoriton caused by a huge incompatibility beetween the 1000x's pre amp and powerful sources. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,767 of 2,709
   While cables do make a small difference when it comes to high end speakers/headphones paired with high end dac/amp combos, trust me, I've tried them through and through, cables make very little difference (sony standard 1a cable vs the 100 dollar one). Unless you compare a good cable with a really ****ty chinese one. Don't believe me? Go to a high end store and try different cable on a "budget" source like every smartphone.

In my case it's definitely the dac in the XZ. Or more precisely the way it's coded plus the hi res amp (which is rarely found in other smartphones). The 1000X has a similar setup, however it does have a better high res amp (S Master HX). But it shines better when powered on and wired than bluetooth (even LDAC). 

Wired through the iPhone 7 (with the dongle adapter) it sounds thinner, les defined, less bass. This is Powered on. With smartphones (at least xz, ip 7) powered off it sounds too bland, it needs more power that way. I've no other smarphones, but I can tell you that wired (powered off) with my XPS 15 laptop directly, or with the Fiio E17K it sounds OK ish. But that's due to the DAC (laptop in built, and fiio e 17k one, which aren't great). I've read it sound amazing with a good source like the Dragonfly RED dac. Powered on, forget about it. The pre amp in built in the 1000X is only made to work with sources like a smartphone. Hook it in powered on in a powerful source (even my laptop or the fiio dac/amp), it sounds bad and distorsts, but nut due to the drivers, they don't tistort, it's a artifact/digital distoriton caused by a huge incompatibility beetween the 1000x's pre amp and powerful sources. 

That's a good wrapup, thanks man. Look like I'll need to continue testing them. I have a Dragonfly 1.2, so I will test/compare the wired+power on vs. wired+power off, and then compare the 2 vs. wired in my Aune X1s (again, on and off). I'll give my 1000x a run with the Aune (who can put out more than 1W) and be sensitive to distortion/bad sound.

At first, I was thinking Sony with their 1000x went the Bose way (QC25 that is). I mean, QC25 powered on are thousand miles ahead than powered off. They are meant to be used with power. Cause when off, even with a good amp, they sound just awfull. But MacBook Air>Aune>QC25 powered on was a huge improvement (without any noticeable degradation/distortion). I no longer have the QC25, so I can't compare.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #1,768 of 2,709
  That's a good wrapup, thanks man. Look like I'll need to continue testing them. I have a Dragonfly 1.2, so I will test/compare the wired+power on vs. wired+power off, and then compare the 2 vs. wired in my Aune X1s (again, on and off). I'll give my 1000x a run with the Aune (who can put out more than 1W) and be sensitive to distortion/bad sound.

At first, I was thinking Sony with their 1000x went the Bose way (QC25 that is). I mean, QC25 powered on are thousand miles ahead than powered off. They are meant to be used with power. Cause when off, even with a good amp, they sound just awfull. But MacBook Air>Aune>QC25 powered on was a huge improvement (without any noticeable degradation/distortion). I no longer have the QC25, so I can't compare.

Just to be clear: Do NOT use the 1000x powered on, wired, with anything but a smartphone. They are not meant to be used powered on with a powerful dac/amp due to thier pre-set preamp. Only use them powered OFF with amps. 

They do however sound very good with a good amp/dac. Preferably a warm sounding one, as the 1000x are really neutral. 

The dragonfly 1.2 is not that powerful (it's more of a DAC than an AMP). I'd suggest you sell it and get the new Dragonfly RED. It has a much improved dac, much more powerful amp, and most importantly, it's made to be compatible with smarphones (both IOS and Android), due to the low power consumption. Pair that with a usb female - usb type c/microusb/lightning adapter, and their flash ubs-like size make them the ultimate portable audiophile setup. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,769 of 2,709
Just to be clear: Do NOT use the 1000x powered on, wired, with anything but a smartphone. They are not meant to be used powered on with a powerful dac/amp due to thier pre-set preamp. Only use them powered OFF with amps. 

They do however sound very good with a good amp/dac. Preferably a warm sounding one, as the 1000x are really neutral. 

The dragonfly 1.2 is not that powerful (it's more of a DAC than an AMP). I'd suggest you sell it and get the new Dragonfly RED. It has a much improved dac, much more powerful amp, and most importantly, it's made to be compatible with smarphones (both IOS and Android), due to the low power consumption. Pair that with a usb female - usb type c/microusb/lightning adapter, and their flash ubs-like size make them the ultimate portable audiophile setup. 

What's your opinion about using a powered on Bose QC35 with a dac / amp?

Too bad Dragonfly's can't play DSD natively. Not really an ultimate portable audiophile setup in that case. Great power draw though.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,770 of 2,709
Yup. I bought a Sony NW-A35 for that specifically. The quality is quite good. As others have mentioned, the MDR-1000x has excellent built-in amplification which makes even standard BT connections sound pretty good. Imagine that, combined with LDAC -- The combo was worth every penny.

The Sony NW-A15 also has LDAC and it can even do EQ over Bluetooth which helped me to add some (drum) bass which the MDR-1000x lacks. The downside of EQ is that if you have any HD tracks then they will be downsampled so that the EQ effect can be applied - maybe you will hear the quality difference, maybe not. Since the A15 is cheaper imho it is best to use it as Bluetooth bridge since I doubt that its digital to analog HW isn't as good as the HW of expensive devices. For Bluetooth use it is a very good device considering the price.

As far as LDAC quality goes I have only used the most higher quality level (990 kpbs) and there is a nice feeling of weight in the sound compared to aptX. Also lots of detail and I haven't (yet) picked out any distortions which are usually a side effect of lossy compression (which for example aptX uses).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back