Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jul 6, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #811 of 4,748

Quote:
Could this be magic?
The acoustic guitar sounds perfect on the EX1000.  Instead of sounding like a recording, I feel like I'm in the room jamming with them.

Obviously the EX1000 is colored then.  Return them ASAP.  
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #812 of 4,748
Pink Floyd's 'Any Colour You Like' sounds sounds incredibly coloured with the EX1000. In fact, there are far too many colours for my brain to process all at once. Why my EX1000 didn't come with a box of crayons and a colouring book is beyond me. I believe Sony will eventually release a new discoloring equalizer to neutralize all of the excessively bright and rich colours. Listening to music through the EX1000 is akin to looking at life through rose coloured glasses. Doesn't all this talk about colours make you want to puke?

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #813 of 4,748
Finally listening to some Radiohead on the EX600 - "Just." Oh the colors!!! "Holy Cowwwww!!!!" I'm getting dizzy... 
L3000.gif
eek.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #814 of 4,748
Not to say the following reflects any final thoughts, but the JVC's v-shaped signature, while quite fun, is easily noticeable with most of my tracks. While I for one don't mind it, I can appreciate both sides of the coin. Before I even revisited |joker|'s multi-review thread, it was evident to me that the higher up in volume I went, the more apparent the highs and lows become; while the mids, in direct comparison, remain closer to neutral than recessed to my ears. I haven't experienced this with the EX1000, but that's for another day, once I've allowed the JVC's ample time to settle.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #815 of 4,748

Quote:
At this point in time, I'll mention this much however.

Fit/Comfort: Atrio M5 = FX700 > EX1000; simply because I personally prefer straight/braided cable versus memory wire any day of the week. On the other hand, I have become very accustomed to the Sony's within the past few days.
Seal: Atrio M5 = FX700 = EX1000; When worn over the ear, the Atrio's seal is as good as I'd ask for. However, one noteworthy discrepancy is that thet Atrio's must be carefully inserted and aligned properly within the ear canal, else the sound gets muted out. During times of moderate jaw movement, the tips may become shifted ever so slighty, and the sound is again muted out since the bore is no longer aligned with the ear canal. It occurs rather infrequently, though when it does, it's irritating to have to realign each time. When worn straight-cable, both the Atrio's and JVC's seal is sub-par to my ears. Irrespective of the earphone in use, I exclusively use my Monster large black silicone tri-flanges, which allow for a deep insertion (without any discomfort), and offer the best overall impact, over any other tips I've come to own.
Isolation: Atrio M5 > EX1000 ~ > FX700; the Atrio's for an obvious reason (they aren't vented, in case you're wondering). The EX1000's gain the edge over the JVC's, though not by a significant amount. While listening, at around 35-40% (max) volume, they both isolate relatively the same. It's during the quiter parts of the track where isolation becomes ever so slightly more apparent with the Sony's.

I'm willing to overlook any "shortcomings" in the aforementioned categories, because it's primarily SQ that I'm concerned about.

EDIT: the fit's more equal than not, with regards to all 3.

The Atrio is, in fact, vented. This was confirmed on the board by an FS rep a while back. Pretty much all dynamic driver earphones including the Ety MC5 and all Monster iems are as well.

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #818 of 4,748

Quote:
The Atrio is, in fact, vented. This was confirmed on the board by an FS rep a while back. Pretty much all dynamic driver earphones including the Ety MC5 and all Monster iems are as well.

Actually I'm pretty sure Kevin stated the Monsters are not vented.  Key reason for the massive driver flex and bass response.  I remember him not being too happy a camper when someone went off about how they should have been vented.

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #819 of 4,748

Quote:
Finally listening to some Radiohead on the EX600 - "Just." Oh the colors!!! "Holy Cowwwww!!!!" I'm getting dizzy... 
L3000.gif
eek.gif

Eric, if you feel that way about the EX600 then if you heard what I'm hearing right now you'd crap yourself.  
blink.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #821 of 4,748
Radiohead's Just eh? can't wait to hear the massive guitars on that on the EX600!

eric damn you! now you've got me more crazy waiting for the end of July!

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #823 of 4,748
@ i2ehan: You should really do yourself a favor and buy a pair of Meelec Bi-flanges. They are really a treat once you get the hang of putting them in at a certain depth, otherwise the seal is broken (if I shove it in too far, that is.) I tried them with the Monster triple flanges and hated the sound; I had them in for about 1/2 a minute before I decided that they sounded terrible lol.

With the bi-flanges, you get a very large soundstage and a reduction to the V presentation. I also noticed an increase in treble and bass response, but YMMV.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #824 of 4,748

Quote:
Eric, if you feel that way about the EX600 then if you heard what I'm hearing right now you'd crap yourself.  
blink.gif

Are you guys talking about the EX1000? If so (and if they are that much better than the EX600), I won't consider getting a pair until they drop to about $300. Right now the 1964-Q is more than sufficing a plenty when I am craving for super clarity and more details. Yet, I'm still waiting (patiently) for the EX1000 loaners to hit my doorsteps. But I must admit, I can't get enough of guitars (especially acoustic guitars) with the EX600. It sounds so real and lifelike. I imagine this is that those Magnepan ribbon speakers must sound like if you could stuff them into an iem... No? Yes?

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #825 of 4,748

Quote:
@ i2ehan: You should really do yourself a favor and buy a pair of Meelec Bi-flanges. They are really a treat once you get the hang of putting them in at a certain depth, otherwise the seal is broken (if I shove it in too far, that is.) I tried them with the Monster triple flanges and hated the sound; I had them in for about 1/2 a minute before I decided that they sounded terrible lol.

With the bi-flanges, you get a very large soundstage and a reduction to the V presentation. I also noticed an increase in treble and bass response, but YMMV.

Hmm, it's not so much the trebel and bass response I wish to bring out, as there seems to be an abundance of it already. Know of any tips which will potentially bring out the mids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back