Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jul 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #826 of 4,748
Quote:
Are you guys talking about the EX1000?

Lol, don't know if everybody's even talking about the same thing, but here's my own humble guess on what Anax is talking about.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #827 of 4,748
Thanks @ James

Quote:
Lol, don't know if everybody's even talking about the same thing, but here's my own humble guess on what Anax is talking about.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #828 of 4,748

Quote:

Hmm, it's not so much the trebel and bass response I wish to bring out, as there seems to be an abundance of it already. Know of any tips which will potentially bring out the mids?

I don't really have a problem with the mids, but I find the Shure Olives bring them out better than any other tip. You could also try the Monster foam Supertips, those seemed to work rather well with the entire presentation.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #829 of 4,748
I would love to see EX1000 vs. RE272 comparison. Both are high quality dynamics and both are supposedly quite balanced sounding. Maybe I can do one sometime in the future, but I doubt I will have money to get the EX1000 any time soon. :frowning2: I am getting RE272 though in place of my FX700... hopefully it will be worth it.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #830 of 4,748

Quote:
I would love to see EX1000 vs. RE272 comparison. Both are high quality dynamics and both are supposedly quite balanced sounding. Maybe I can do one sometime in the future, but I doubt I will have money to get the EX1000 any time soon. :frowning2: I am getting RE272 though in place of my FX700... hopefully it will be worth it.

No-one does comparisons quite like painist, that's for sure - where his take on different phones changes like the English weather.  :wink:

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #831 of 4,748
Quote:
No-one does comparisons quite like painist, that's for sure - where his take on different phones changes like the English weather.  :wink:

Well, there are some phones that I initially like and then dislike later on or the other way around. I don't see anything wrong with that. On the other hand, some phones like RE0 and SRH840 I always liked since the first time I heard them.

Also, when I do direct comparisons, my opinion doesn't change wildly. Problems begin when I start to compare phones from memory instead of direct AB comparsions, I think it's ok to do this sometimes, but it is often impossible to say accurately whether you liked a headphone that you listened to before more or less than the one you are listening to now if you liked or disliked both and yet I sometimes do this which is wrong I think.

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #832 of 4,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake2393 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't really have a problem with the mids, but I find the Shure Olives bring them out better than any other tip. You could also try the Monster foam Supertips, those seemed to work rather well with the entire presentation.

Not so much that I have a problem with the mids, but the SM3/SE535 that have spoiled me rotten in that regard.
tongue.gif
 Thank you for your suggestion my friend; I'll give the Monsters a shot, since I know longer own any olives.

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #834 of 4,748

Quote:
^ Hate to disillusion you, but no tips in the world will bring the FX700's mids anywhere near the SM3/SE535's.
tongue.gif

x2.  I have buckets of tips as many here do.  Mids are not the strength of the FX700.  At best they are adequate for the rest of the spectrum.

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #835 of 4,748
^ If I had to choose, I'd actually prefer the FX700's mids. The SM3's were just too much for my taste. The EX1000's are somewhere in between and that's where I like them best.

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #836 of 4,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2.  I have buckets of tips as many here do.  Mids are not the strength of the FX700.  At best they are adequate for the rest of the spectrum.

Indeed! They certainly do fall into place, and it's nothing these spoiled ears can't live with of course. I just wanted to ensure I covered all my bases, in case anyone else experienced otherwise. A/B-ing the tri-flanges against the foams with a few acoustic tracks, the tr-flanges seem to offer my ears the best reproduction. Guess they're yet again my exclusive choice.
biggrin.gif

P.S. Thought I'd share the love:

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #837 of 4,748
You guys really underestimate FX700 mids. Sure, they are a bit in the background compared to the low end and the highs, but quality wise, they are just awesome. They sound very natural and are really, really detailed.

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #838 of 4,748

Quote:
You guys really underestimate FX700 mids. Sure, they are a bit in the background compared to the low end and the highs, but quality wise, they are just awesome. They sound very natural and are really, really detailed.

Hmmm @ Pianist, I don't think that anyone who has heard the FX700 would underestimate the mids as far as quality is concerned. Nevertheless, they are still too far in the background for my ears to fully appreciate. The SM3, on the other hand, is a bit too forward. I like where the EX600, SM2 and SE535 mids sit. Even the SE215's mids are near perfect for my ears. But the quality of sound is running high all the way through the FX700.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #839 of 4,748

Quote:
but quality wise, they are just awesome. They sound very natural and are really, really detailed.

Bollocks.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #840 of 4,748
Quote:
Bollocks.

Proof?

Quote:
Hmmm @ Pianist, I don't think that anyone who has heard the FX700 would underestimate the mids as far as quality is concerned. Nevertheless, they are still too far in the background for my ears to fully appreciate. The SM3, on the other hand, is a bit too forward. I like where the EX600, SM2 and SE535 mids sit. Even the SE215's mids are near perfect for my ears. But the quality of sound is running high all the way through the FX700.

Well, Anaxilus doesn't think the mids on FX700 sound natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back