Something in between IE8 and CK10...
Aug 20, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #31 of 90

I guess you have been there, well it wont hurt asking them regarding trying earphones without buying one.

Trust me, i tried...not to say begged! I think, although nice to deal with, they take advantage of the fact they are the only ones in Perth to specialize in headphones and carry a good range. You can try any headphones but when it's down to earphones you can only try what they have as a sample.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #33 of 90

Quote:
Looking at these two model which one would you go for if treble clarity and definition was the deciding factor?

Both of these have great clarity and definition in there treble ,they just present treble in a slightly different way. W3 treble is very bright and bold and more in your face while SM3 treble is more dignified and polite ,lighter and more airy ,both extend very well and are fully detailed.

I hear no recessed treble on the SM3 as some have said and i find them one of the most enjoyable and easiest treble to listen to and they are excellent at presenting micro details.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #35 of 90

Sold my IE8 after got DDM.
DDM ave better midrange, instrument separation, Guitars, pianos, voices reproduced as if you are listening to Hi-Fi stereo speaker system.  Acoustic instruments simply amazing.
Base is simply the best. Price range lower then IE8 as well.

Quote:
erm what now?  you have heard both of them?

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #36 of 90

Quote:

Both of these have great clarity and definition in there treble ,they just present treble in a slightly different way. W3 treble is very bright and bold and more in your face while SM3 treble is more dignified and polite ,lighter and more airy ,both extend very well and are fully detailed.

I hear no recessed treble on the SM3 as some have said and i find them one of the most enjoyable and easiest treble to listen to and they are excellent at presenting micro details.
happy_face1.gif

One of the best choices of descriptors I've yet seen of the SM3's treble. Cheers buddy. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #37 of 90

Quote:
Sold my IE8 after got DDM.
DDM ave better midrange, instrument separation, Guitars, pianos, voices reproduced as if you are listening to Hi-Fi stereo speaker system.  Acoustic instruments simply amazing.
Base is simply the best. Price range lower then IE8 as well.

erm no.  just no.  a thousand times no.  i strenuously and vehemently disagree.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #40 of 90

I prefer DDM over IE8 because in my opinion they are better. 

Quote:
its one thing to prefer something its another to claim it to be better.  like i do prefer the IE7 over the IE8 but id never think of saying it was actually better than it

Originally Posted by ericp10 

With way over 200-300 hours in burn in on he DDMs, the pair have transformed into something more spectacular than I thought they were in the first couple of weeks. Hands down, the DDM has the widest soundstage of anything I've ever heard. Still not the top of the line in clarity, but not too far behind. Mids are on par with the SM3 in my opinion, with slightly less details - splitting hairs again. Treble is nice with the right tips. I am using cn11's  suggestion of the UE transparent silicons. Bass is still deep and about of Monster pro quality, and not as muddy as it was initially. The FX700 still has the DDM beat on clarity and transparency, but the DDMs aren't that far behind. And the DDM is still the best bang for the buck IEM I've ever owned. I mean sometimes I want to take the SM3 out of my ear and listen to the DDM for the space and layered sound it gives. I think the DDM gives the best in-a-concert-hall experience than any other IEM I've owned, and really gives you great spacing as to where the musicians are at on the stage.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #41 of 90
you missed the line where he said they were top table.  oh yes there it is "bang for the buck"  cause thas how we all talk about high end stuff isnt it.

congrats on about to be the only person on headfi ive ever felt compelled to slap on the ignore list, well done sir

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #42 of 90

Quote:
you missed the line where he said they were top table.  oh yes there it is "bang for the buck"  cause thas how we all talk about high end stuff isnt it.

congrats on about to be the only person on headfi ive ever felt compelled to slap on the ignore list, well done sir

DDM aren`t considered High end by some users simply because their street price is lower then other top tiers. Earphones actual value and price people willing to pay for it. I would not pay for Radius over $250 US myself but some would do it simply because this are worth it
You can ignore me as much as desire, Sir, nonetheless I encourage you to respect your mates opinions and personal choices.

and last but not least,  Do you actually advice or discourage  to fellow head-fi members to purchase or vice-versa  particular model of earphones without you having heard them in person, simply based on some one else comment. If so then don:t assume every one does the same thing.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #43 of 90
Just out of interest to the OP, how long did you have your IE8's and how many hours did you have on them.

One of the things I love about my pair is the treble! cymbols shimmer and the detail is wonderful. I found they got to this stage for me at just over 200 hours.

I know there seems to be a fair amount of interest regaining for these phones on the forum and rightly so.

I often wonder how much time people have given their phones before pronouncing on them!

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #44 of 90

Quote:
Just out of interest to the OP, how long did you have your IE8's and how many hours did you have on them.

One of the things I love about my pair is the treble! cymbols shimmer and the detail is wonderful. I found they got to this stage for me at just over 200 hours.

I know there seems to be a fair amount of interest regaining for these phones on the forum and rightly so.

I often wonder how much time people have given their phones before pronouncing on them!

Ianmedium, I have given my IE8 way over 200 hours. I purchased them used as well. But no, do not take me wrong, I loved IE8 until I got DDM. This just perform better for me, and not only. Sound is more fun, for what I looked in IEMs, I found in DDMs, not in IE8, and price is unbeatable to. I considered  IE8 perhaps worth the money we payed for them until competitors such as Radius comes into play creating new type of beast for less cost and challenge our perceptions...
Besides, sennheiser is simply a world leading brand

Aug 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #45 of 90

Quote:

Ianmedium, I have given my IE8 way over 200 hours. I purchased them used as well. But no, do not take me wrong, I loved IE8 until I got DDM. This just perform better for me, and not only. Sound is more fun, for what I looked in IEMs, I found in DDMs, not in IE8, and price is unbeatable to. I considered  IE8 perhaps worth the money we payed for them until competitors such as Radius comes into play creating new type of beast for less cost and challenge our perceptions...
Besides, sennheiser is simply a world leading brand

No Worries mate, thought I would check. This just goes to show, our hearing can differ so much that we all experience different things with equipment, no right or wrong just different. Good luck on your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back